Should I get the R9 290 because of free games of a GTX 970 for performance?

I am on the edge of buying a R9 290 or a GTX 970. In terms of performance and power efficiency, the GTX 970 is the clear winner as it can deliver much better performance using less power. However, this will be my first build and that means that I currently don't have any games in my Steam library. With the purchase of an R9 290, I am entitled to their "Never Settle for Less" program which grants me access to 3 games in their selection that includes some pretty good titles like Pay Day 2, Tomb Raider, Just Cause 2, Hitman: Absolution, and other titles as well. The R9 290 has dropped dramatically in response to the arrival of the new Nvidia 900 series. So, should go with the R9 290 because of the price decrease and free games or go with the GTX 970 and get a beastly card with amazing power efficiency? 

Here are some of the graphics cards I have been looking at:

NVIDIA GTX 970

Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 4 GB: $359.99

MSI Twin Frozer V GTX 970 4 GB:   $339.99  

Asus Strix GTX 970 4 GB: $329.99

AMD R9 290

XFX R9 290 DD 4 GB: $319.99 (After Rebate: $289.99)

MSI R9 290 4 GB: $309.99 (After Rebate: $289.99) 

Gigabyte R9 290 4 GB: $289.99 (No Rebate)

TL;DR Should I get a R9 290 because of how cheap it is and the free games or get a GTX 970 because of its price to performance and power efficiency? 

TL;DR Should I get a R9 290 because of how cheap it is and the free games or get a GTX 970 because of its price to performance and power efficiency? 

If you had asked last week when R9 290s were $250 before rebates hell yes, but now that the prices have gone back up, 970 all the way

"Rawr XD"

970 for performance/Nvidia features!

970. Free games do not equal performance. 

I understand that the GTX 970 is better than the R9 290, but if you were in my position in not owning any games, would the R9 290 + free games be something to think about?

I understand that the GTX 970 is better than the R9 290, but if you were in my position in not owning any games, would the R9 290 + free games be something to think about?

Yes it would be. Especially if the games I would get were the exact ones I wanted... That said, performance is performance, FPS FPS, games always come on sale. You are the one to choose in the end. IMO 970 is the way to go. That does NOT mean it is the way you should go. All I can do is offer my opinion. 

those games are pretty old anyway you could probably get them for cheap during a sale. i would get a gtx 970 the performance and noise would be a huge factor for me compared to games. also the gtx 970 has newer features that could be a huge benefit down the line

Performance is the way to go. Just cause 2 has been on sale for 2,50 euros, tomb raider had been 75% discount to resulting in a price of 12,50 same goes for the other two games plus the fact that 2 games are already dirt cheap. Get a 970 now, save money for the winter and buy games during winter sale. Also there are a lot of free to play games that you can play.