100% Isopropyl Alcohol

Heyyy guys. Im upgrading tonight from H77 to Z77. I just went to the pharmacy earlier and asked then if thy had isopropyl alcohol. They only had 100%, Is that going to matter? (As opposed to the recommended 99%) Never cleaned a CPU before.

Also in Linus' Techquickie video on thermal paste he doesnt spread it at all. Is it likely that the paste spreads out in one direction and doesnt work aswell?

Should I just spread it myself??

well no cpus are designed to direct the heat to the centre therefore the tim will spread out as there will be the most pressure at the centre...also 100% should be fine...it may just evaporate quicker and well its harder to make heh

I used to use alcohol, had to even resort to baby wipes once - once....

I never actually noticed any difference in the amount of alcohol those contained :o

but nowadays, if you don't mind extra expense and the hassle of finding one of these babies - try the arctic silver's arcticlean.

really easy to clean with that :)

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

People just recommend 99% because usually you can't find 100%, because technically you can't have 100% alcohol. 

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

People just recommend 99% because usually you can't find 100%, because technically you can't have 100% alcohol.

Lol, But my bottle says 100%. It lied to me?! :O

Lol, But my bottle says 100%. It lied to me?! :o

Yup, it's sorta like false advertising and why you see soap that say "kills 99.9% of bacteria". You can't guarantee that something is 100% something because there could be some shit in it that we don't know about :P

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

Use coffee filters along with a small amount of alcohol to scrub off TIM. Coffee filters are lint free, not that a lint is going to destroy anything..

Yeah 100% is fine for cleaning your CPU; 99% is recommended because that's how it's most commonly sold. Also, trust me, the heatsink will spread the thermal paste perfectly, don't worry about spreading it.

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.

put a small tiny dot in the middle and let it naturally do it's thing

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

You guys are lucky.

The highest the stores in my area has is 91%.

Thats fine. I use 70% xD

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

Thanks everyone who commented. 

The percentage of isopropyl alcohol doesn't matter as long as its mostly isopropyl.  100% will mean 99.99%, but usually that's lab grade isopropyl, so they're probably lying to you.  Either way it will work for the purposes of cleaning computer components.  

Source: I'm a chemist.  

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

I use lighter fluid (zippo) works just as well...

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

My friend once cleaned his core 2 duo with 38% vodka. It worked fine.

I had to buy some Isoperpyl the other day for some soldering, highest I could find was 91%

I use lighter fluid (zippo) works just as well...

My friend once cleaned his core 2 duo with 38% vodka. It worked fine.

Those solutions will probably work reasonably well, but using things other than pure solvents can have trace (or non-trivial) amounts of impurities that are non-volatile.  These can stick around on your CPU even though it looks "clean" and may possibly hurt your performance.  Also, depending on the impurity, they can also start to corrode your components.  

So use things other than isopropyl with care, and given how cheap the stuff is, just go out and grab a bottle to be safe.  

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W