Migrating files from ssd to hdd

consoleconvergence2pc

After installing my hdd and having used my ssd for everything before, i want to free up alot of space and move files to my hdd, mostly my steam and origin games.

I wanted to have just the application steam and origin on my ssd for faster load times and updates and to store just the games on my hdd but I'm scared to deleted my games off my ssd and losing saved data.

I don't want to drag the flies from ssd to hdd because that just creates and link does it not? i just want the files to be stored primarily on my hdd.

I am assuming you are asking on a safe method of moving your Origin games from your SSD to your HDD. Coincidentally, I was doing the same thing a couple of days back! I could not find a guide, so follow these steps-

1. Open Origin and click "Origin" on the top right hand corner
  2. Select "Application and Settings"
  3. Under "Advanced", change the "Downloaded Games" folder to an empty one on your HDD
  4. Quit Origin
  5. In a file explorer, naviagate to where the games are stored on your SSD and cut them and paste them in the folder on your SSD [Not the "Origin Games" folder, but the games folder inside it such as "BattleField 3", etc in the new "Origin Games" folder on your HDD]
  6. Launch Origin
  7. Try to launch a game. It will probe you to download it. Don't worry! Let it do its thing. After a few seconds, nothing would have downloaded and your game should be ready for launch.

To move your Steam games,

1. Exit the Steam Client (even from the taskbar)
  2. Navigate where the Steam folder is on your SSD (It's normally C-Programme Files- Steam)
  3. Delete all the folders except for the "SteamApps" folder and "Steam.exe"
  4. Cut and paste the Steam folder to the HDD
  5. Launch Steam, it will do something, and everything should be there!

As for your question about links, if you cut and paste it, it won't create links. Even under regular copying and pasting, it won't create links; it will copy everything the way it is.

I hope this helps! :)

PC in Profile

I am assuming you are asking on a safe method of moving your Origin games from your SSD to your HDD. Coincidentally, I was doing the same thing a couple of days back! I could not find a guide, so follow these steps-

3. Under "Advanced", change the "Downloaded Games" folder to an empty one on your HDD
  4. Quit Origin
  5. In a file explorer, naviagate to where the games are stored on your SSD and cut them and paste them in the folder on your SSD [Not the "Origin Games" folder, but the games folder inside it such as "BattleField 3", etc in the new "Origin Games" folder on your HDD]
  6. Launch Origin
  7. Try to launch a game. It will probe you to download it. Don't worry! Let it do its thing. After a few seconds, nothing would have downloaded and your game should be ready for launch.

2. Navigate where the Steam folder is on your SSD (It's normally C-Programme Files- Steam)

As for your question about links, if you cut and paste it, it won't create links. Even under regular copying and pasting, it won't create links; it will copy everything the way it is.

Thanks alot

4. Quit Origin
  6. Launch Origin

Btw would steam still launch off my ssd but games will be stored on my hdd if i do this 

No, Steam will be moved to your HDD. Having Steam launch of your SSD but your games launch off your HDD does not really improve Steam's performance over simply launching from the hdd. If you really want something like that, the only way to do so is to create a complex array of shortcuts for everything. Try giving it a shot though :) I've moved both Origin and Steam to a RAID 0 platter and the only difference I've noticed is not in the UI, but rather in game.

PC in Profile