I need help with my monitor set up

Corwin

So my gpu has been connected to my monitor via DVI for a while. I got an HDMI cable to hook my pc up to my tv when friends are over and decided I'd try using it to connect to my monitor since people told me it's better than DVI. I'm not sure if I got a cheap HDMI cable or something, but it downsized my screen (not really sure what it's called) so there's about an inch of black around my screen. Anyone know what I can do to get it back to normal size?

Different resolutions will cause this type of behavior. Between DVI and HDMI, both are digital signals so it doesn't matter which one is better, I use both and can't tell the difference. The only different between DVI and HDMI is HDMI carries audio and DVI does not. Also HDMI requires a license fee from the manufacture when they want to add it to the devices. The successor for DVI is Display Port

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/terms.aspx

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Check your resolution settings. Whoever told you that HDMI is better is an idiot

So my gpu has been connected to my monitor via DVI for a while. I got an HDMI cable to hook my pc up to my tv when friends are over and decided I'd try using it to connect to my monitor since people told me it's better than DVI. I'm not sure if I got a cheap HDMI cable or something, but it downsized my screen (not really sure what it's called) so there's about an inch of black around my screen. Anyone know what I can do to get it back to normal size?

It might be something to do with the settings. See if you can do anything in windows with the resolution, if not check the settings in the monitor's menu.

However, just to clear something up. HDMI is just DVI that carries audio (I think one of the DVIs carries audio as well) and makes use of a smaller connector. Technically DVI is better as it can drive 144hz monitors whereas most HDMI ports can't IIRC. If your monitor is 60hz then it doesn't really matter.

Firstly, make sure it's set to the correct resolution.

There should be something called "overscan settings" in either Nvidia Control Panel or AMD Catalyst Control Center (depending on what your GPU is). Adjusting this should fix it.

With digital signals, cable quality doesn't matter. Either it works or it doesn't.

Also: DVI vs HDMI doesn't matter.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Firstly, make sure it's set to the correct resolution.

There should be something called "overscan settings" in either Nvidia Control Panel or AMD Catalyst Control Center (depending on what your GPU is). Adjusting this should fix it.

With digital signals, cable quality doesn't matter. Either it works or it doesn't.

Also: DVI vs HDMI doesn't matter.

thanks that fixed it