Samsung loses $12 billion due to slowing S4 sales

TGBSeth

Yeah, my earlier post basically said that. As we put more and more powerful things in phones, Lithium Ion batteries can only hold so much juice! We need new battery tech or ultra low power parts.

"Don't make a girl a promise, if you know you can't keep it" | "Didn't you hear? Spartans never die."

-Gaming- FX 8150 @ 4.2GHz, HD 7870 Tahiti LE 2GB @ 1.1GHz, ASRock 990FX Extreme3, 8GB DDR3 1333 MHz, WIndows 10, Custom Watercooled, NZXT Switch 810

-Audio Editing/Mixing- Mac Mini Late 2014, Core i7 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, 2TB Fusion Drive, OSX 10.12 El Captain -Phone- HTC One M7 32GB

Its probably because the HTC One now is releasing a stock android version and many people are waiting to get that instead of the S4.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Nothing inherently wrong with the S series however new iterations should be based on new and great tech.

There's lots inherently wrong with the S3 and I feel like a massive idiot for buying it. Now I'm stuck with it for the rest of my 2 year contract.

I hate the stupid thing so much I forgot that I'd left it in my draw at work earlier and now won't have it again until monday.

I had the s3 since day one, but i saw the s4 yesterday and its no different whatsoever except from a tiny increase in screen size.

For me i'm waiting for the Note 3. Yearly phones never work except from the hardcore fans who must have everything Apple make......      But in samsungs case

I personally rather have a 1080p display, and if I was buying a phone now i would like to get the lastest tech, so i won't buy an S3 if HTC had the HTC ONE. however since Samsung made a S4, that choice would be SO much more dificult:(

Samsung's fault for watering down their Galaxy brand name. Stop giving every device the name "Galaxy" and stop releasing so many different devices. They're just as bad as Sony releasing 20 TVs for one size category

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Samsung's fault for watering down their Galaxy brand name. Stop giving every device the name "Galaxy" and stop releasing so many different devices. They're just as bad as Sony releasing 20 TVs for one size category

Ya things will only get worse for them if they keep on releasing barely upgraded products.  

Samsung doesn't lose money because of their shares dropping in value..

I think the lyrics in this song covers pretty much every aspect of this "news":

Business logic means planning with money you don't have yet.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Samsung doesn't lose money because of their shares dropping in value..

Yes, I know, I should have said 12 billion market value in the title.  The article content gets that point across though. 

It's probably because people simply can't afford to buy a new phone every year. The mobile market will burst at some point and when it does only the most resilient companies will survive. The PC on the other hand is the most resilient machine anyone can own as it does everything that other tech does but much better.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

The HTC One has horrid battery life, not even half a day medium use.

I think this may be because if anyone wanted to buy a s4 they would have done it already :P

Linus said in one of the livestreams that he was playing out load music for 6 hours and it didnt go past half battery

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

Linus said in one of the livestreams that he was playing out load music for 6 hours and it didnt go past half battery

Read the entire thread mate :P

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Read the entire thread mate :P

Done, now what?

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

Yes, I know, I should have said 12 billion market value in the title.  The article content gets that point across though. 

True. Just saying for other people who did not read the full article. :)

Yeah no too surprising in my opinion. I mean this year there has been a lot of competition especially in the smart phone sector with the S4, HTC One and the BB, etc you all know what I'm on about, and sure this may have impacted sales but I think it was all down the the timing of releases. I mean the S4 is merely a slightly improved S3, perhaps not even worth the upgrade for most and at just a year, most people can't afford to even think about upgrading, especially with so many people on contracts. (Looking at Apple)

Perhaps if they had made a larger change between the phones and released it later on the figures may be a little different. Who knows!

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?