Pope Finally Accepts Evolution and the Big Bang as Realities!

hal9001

This pope is cool. But big bang and evolution are just theories too.

Yeah... See... the thing is... Theory (in this context) does not mean what you think it means. Scientific theory means a working idea based on empirical evidence.

The definition, from the link by @ObscureMammal

A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation.

I've bolded the important bits. What you consider a "Theory" (The layman's definition), is what a scientist considers a "Hypothesis". An untested idea based on reasoning or logic, with perhaps anecdotal evidence.

As noted, Gravity is just a "Theory".... Buuuuuut we know it exists. It's real. We can experience it, test it, verify it, and know it's a fact of life.

He doesn't accept evolution or the big bang, what he is talking about is intelligent design which is not science.

It is not a theory, it's a scientific theory just like the theory of gravity and the germ theory, among many other examples.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I can't help but chime in and echo the things @dalekphalm, @ObscureMammal, and @Trik'Stari are saying.

I'm happy to see the Catholic church apparently showing some humility in the ground they've had to give so far, but I think this is a slippery slope for them.

And it's a disingenuous resignation to the facts, at that. I don't think even the pope honestly believes he's making a concession here; he is still essentially arguing for intelligent design.

And that's why pope Francis is the best thing the Catholic Church has had in years. It's important that this has happened, it shows the development of the church and how it is coming into the understanding and acceptance of the modern world.

As it stands, religion is not compatible with modern science in the slightest. Attempts to reconcile their views will inevitably blow up in the church's face.

I think that a lot of different Christian churches have at least in part accepted evolution, it's just that you hear from the vocal idiot minority like WBC and the fundamentalists way more than the moderates.

As a Christian myself, it's a good thing to hear. I really like this pope. I really do think that science and religion can go together, it's just that some people take the bible literally and that's when sanity goes out the window.

For those who still think religion can nuzzle up amicably with science and the modern world, I think a good starting place is to realize that an "a la carte" belief system is really the first step down the slope. As Christopher Hitchens has put it, if you don't take your gospel literally, by what authority do you reject elements of your text?

My (first) build: i7 4790k | Noctua NH-U14S + NF-A15 | Gigabyte Z97X-SLI | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB 2133MHz CL9 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Seagate 2TB SSHD | 2x MSI R9 270X TwinFrozr crossfire | Seasonic G Series 750W 80+ Gold | Asus VX238H 23" | GAMDIAS HERMES | Logitech G602 | Steelseries QcK | Windows 8.1

why is this off topic?

Because even though it is news, it is not tech news.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Its not about religious disbelief. Evolution just doesn't have to mean that we turned human from apes. Just take it as we are evolving, like many children being born these days will never grow wisdom teeth. Big bang could be done by God.

Its not about religious disbelief. Evolution just doesn't have to mean that we turned human from apes. Just take it as we are evolving, like many children being born these days will never grow wisdom teeth. Big bang could be done by God.

No modern scientist believes that humans came from apes... Just sayin'

I know that a lot of people uneducated in the topic might believe this is what "evolutionists" espouse, but it's not. Humans and apes had a common ancestor millions of years ago that we both evolved from. That's why Chimpanzees share 99% of the Coding Sequence in their DNA with Humans.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Nah the bearded invisible flying spaghetti monster doesn't exist, Now the flying dragon made of mushroom cheese on the other hand is a whole other story !!!

I really can't wait for the day when people from another civilisation come down, Look at us and say "You're all a bunch of dumb f***s, You're all banned from the rest of the universe" xD

Battle.Net - Dicehunter#2746

Origin - Dicehunter

Steam - Dicehunter

Uplay - Dicehunter

Wow! For hundreds of years, many aspects of modern science have been outright denied by the Catholic Church. Now,  two of the hottest debates ever in human history have been put to rest. I thought that this was worthy to be placed in the tech news category as many other "sciencey" things end up here. Now for the news!!!!!!!!!!

This is his exact speech:  (It has English subtitles if you were wondering)

[snip] The Catholic Church has supported evolution since the 1960s. In fact evolution is taught in Catholic schools across the world. Every single Pope since then has supported the theory of evolution and big bang.

You're confusing catholics with evangelicals from America. Fundamentalist.

—Edited by Mod Glenwing

•  i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz • Noctua NHL12 •  Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 •  ASUS GTX 780 DCII 1156/6300 •

•  Kingston HyperX 16GB  •  Samsung 840 SSD 120GB [boot] + 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM •

•  Fractal Design Define R4  •  Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum •  Logitech Wireless Y-RK49  •  Logitech X-530  •

[snip] The Catholic Church has supported evolution since the 1960s. In fact evolution is taught in Catholic schools across the world. Every single Pope since then has supported the theory of evolution and big bang.

You're confusing catholics with evangelicals from America. Fundamentalist.

—Edited by Mod Glenwing

Instead of insulting the guy you could of just pointed that out in a mature and grown up way, Manners cost nothing ;)

Origin - Dicehunter

Steam - Dicehunter

Uplay - Dicehunter

No one believes that humans evolved from apes. What science believes is that humans and other primates had a common ancestor.

Instead of insulting the guy you could of just pointed that out in a mature and grown up way, Manners cost nothing ;)

I believe in tough love.

fdc.gif

•  i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz • Noctua NHL12 •  Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 •  ASUS GTX 780 DCII 1156/6300 •

•  Kingston HyperX 16GB  •  Samsung 840 SSD 120GB [boot] + 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM •

•  Fractal Design Define R4  •  Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum •  Logitech Wireless Y-RK49  •  Logitech X-530  •

I'm christian and I believe evolution to a point and the big bang I just sorta somewhat agree with... it sorta lines up with eachother.

I still believe it still started with creationism and evolution took over.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Something or someone made this place at some point, I dont care if it was some big bearded person in the sky or if it was some chemical reaction.

All I know is that I don't know and I will never know and I'm okay with this.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Something or someone made this place at some point, I dont care if it was some big bearded person in the sky or if it was some chemical reaction.

All I know is that I don't know and I will never know and I'm okay with this.

But, But, But, You have to have a religion, You have to, Otherwise all the bible thumpers are gonna cry and send you to hell !!! :P

Origin - Dicehunter

Steam - Dicehunter

Uplay - Dicehunter

This pope is cool. But big bang and evolution are just theories too.

A theory is something that is tested and confirmed using experimentation multiple times. Without failure.

Gravity is a theory. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

But, But, But, You have to have a religion, You have to, Otherwise all the bible thumpers are gonna cry and send you to hell !!! :P

I feel like if there is a higher being and he/she is as forgiving and loving as religion portrays, they would definitely be understanding that their creation simply accepts that it has no idea how it was created.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

No modern scientist believes that humans came from apes... Just sayin'

I know that a lot of people uneducated in the topic might believe this is what "evolutionists" espouse, but it's not. Humans and apes had a common ancestor millions of years ago that we both evolved from. That's why Chimpanzees share 99% of the Coding Sequence in their DNA with Humans.

Aaaand 50% with banana

A theory is something that is tested and confirmed using experimentation multiple times. Without failure.

Gravity is a theory. 

Isn't gravity a fact?

I feel like if there is a higher being and he/she is as forgiving and loving as religion portrays, they would definitely be understanding that their creation simply accepts that it has no idea how it was created.

If there is somethingh afterwards then that's awesome, If not then just live a cool life and at the end you can have the piece of mind that there is literally nothing, Zero, Zip, When you die, You're dead, Not even blackness because you won't know because you will not exist anymore, And that's something I'm also fine with.

Gravity is a theory. 

Gravity is a fact, Without it you would be floating right now xD

Origin - Dicehunter

Steam - Dicehunter

Uplay - Dicehunter

No one believes that humans evolved from apes. What science believes is that humans and other primates had a common ancestor.

I believe in tough love.

fdc.gif

This reminds me:

What is love?

Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me

No more.

it always suprises me that people don't know what a scientific theory even is.

People!

A theory is something that has been tested and so far has not been proven wrong but has not been proven right in way that is impossible to contest, and is not 100% testable and verifiable as a fact with no room for doubt.

A theory is well supported by evidence thus far, and thus far has been proven right

A theory make predictions that can be tested or proven false or ture in some way

Few things that are accepted as the way it is are facts actually.

A theory is often confused with hypothesis or speculation. Not the same.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Isn't gravity a fact?

A law technically. But there is nothing higher than a theory.

Isn't gravity a fact?

As far as I know, it is not. With our current technology, it can't be proven as it is. There's a religious belief that it's universal with no definitive proof. I most likely is, but facts have to be 100% proven.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

If there is somethingh afterwards then that's awesome, If not then just live a cool life and at the end you can have the piece of mind that there is literally nothing, Zero, Zip, When you die, You're dead, Not even blackness because you won't know because you will not exist anymore, And that's something I'm also fine with.

Gravity is a fact, Without it you would be floating right now xD

No. Fact is non-existent in science. Mostly because if what it has to be.  

100% proof is not possible on gravity. 

Yah. Pretty much.

muh specs 

All parts black

So gravity does not exist as it was made by space hippys to annoy the religious anoraks and we are all actually riding on the back of a giant turtle called Jeff ? Gotcha !

Origin - Dicehunter

Steam - Dicehunter

Uplay - Dicehunter