[WIP] First Server Build, "Hydra"

1823alex

So this is going to be a WIP build for a little while, about a week maybe less, depends on FedEx. Before I start this off I'd like to thank some people: @dalekphalm for helping me figure what everything is, choosing the server etc. And of course @Gob for giving me a free Server 2012 key, and everyone else who helped and replied to this topic: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/237949-which-server-what-to-do-with-it/

Parts List/Specs

Prepping for the Server

Inspecting the Server

Building/Installing the Server

My Experience with Windows Server 2012

I'm gonna keep editing this for a little while. The server should come tomorrow (Wednesday, Oct 28th) but you know FedEx is shipping it and it's 40 pounds. So hopefully they don't screw it up to much.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Parts List and Specs of the Server

So the server I got is an HP DL360 G5 from eBay for about $145 with shipping. 

Server Specs:

2 Xeon 2.00 GHz processors (dont know exact model)

16GB Ram

4 146GB Hard Drives 

One of the HP raid cards not sure

2 power supplies for redundancy

No OS though.

I'm using a old HP monitor, a random logitech keyboard, and a Dell mouse. I'm going to be building my own wooden server rack later on hopefully, but I have to examine the rails on the server etc. So I will add that in to this topic later on.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Prepping for the Server

So what I've done while waiting is setup a small area for now where the server can sit without being directly on the ground. I've also got a shelf for the peripherals (Monitor Keyboard and Mouse). Once I build a server rack I'll post that here.

Inspecting the Server

The server was packed very nicely, although the sellers description of the item was pretty bad, he said that it had 2 processors and that both were Quad Core, but it only came with 1 Dual core, so I contacted him and sent me enough refund money, to get a second cpu and a second heatsink. Anyways, the server seems good, everything in working order, having some issues with the drives, they seem to be corrupt so I have to fix the raid options and stuff. Also for some reason I can NOT get the PS/2 ports working at all which really sucks since the server only has 3 USB ports on the outside 1 on the inside, so I'm looking at somethings like these: 1 2

Building and Installing the Server

So building the server wasn't really much just installing the second CPU and that was about it, but for now I just have it on a wooden thing along with a small storage cabinet, to keep it off of the floor. Also one thing the server tends to stay pretty cool but the power supplies get pretty hot, since they don't have much airflow going to them, but temps stay pretty low everywhere else. 

My Experience with Windows Server 2012 + HP iLO2 (Integrated Lights Out)

Server 2012

So server 2012 is actually REALLY easy to use, I've got it all setup RDP working file access from remotewebaccess is working fine. So whats cool about RWA (RemoteWebAccess), is that you can connect to the server which downloads a RDP file and then allows you to connect to it when you open the file, but it makes you login with a user and password. You can also open shared folders and things like that which works perfectly fine in my opinion. My only complaint with the RWA software is that you can only choose 1 file at a time, but you can choose them 1 at a time, then click the upload button.

HP iLO2

So I got iLO2 working and it's pretty cool, I didn't have the user/pass so I had to enable the bypass switch which was pretty simple for anyone wondering since I couldn't find much on how to do this: Make sure to power off the server, Near the iLO chip should be something labeled SW1 there are a couple of number I believe 1-8 flip #1 up to the ON position, then power the server on, and it will beep more than usual signifying something is either wrong or that you enabled the switch and it will also say that you bypassed the iLO security features on the Web service and during POST. iLO is pretty cool, in general you can check your system info and things like that and you can also check or fix things if your system freezes up or something.

hail-hydra10jpg-e3252b.jpg

lmao that's excellent.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I'm gonna update a bit more today now that I have it connected via ethernet. Anyone know where I could get drivers for server 2012? It's a HP DL360 G5.

Inspecting the Server

The server was packed very nicely, although the sellers description of the item was pretty bad, he said that it had 2 processors and that both were Quad Core, but it only came with 1 Dual core, so I contacted him and sent me enough refund money, to get a second cpu and a second heatsink. Anyways, the server seems good, everything in working order, having some issues with the drives, they seem to be corrupt so I have to fix the raid options and stuff.

Interesting. That really sucks that you didn't get dual Quads. One thing to note: both processors have to be identical models, so make sure you match the new one with the old one. Dual Dual-core CPU's will still be pretty fast for a server, but it would have been better to get both Quads.

As for the drives, you should most definitely completely erase, repartition and reformat all of them, and reconfigure RAID from scratch. You don't know what was done to them before.

Also make sure to test the drives thoroughly. I would start with using the official testing tool for the drive manufacturers (Seagate Seatools or WD Lifeguard, etc). Make sure to run through all tests, including long or extended. If there is a destructive "Write Test", then do that too, but do it before you install the OS. This is because HDD's are the most likely part to die or be damaged in shipment, and eBay return policies and buyer protection don't last the longest.

What kind of warranty does the seller provide?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Sorry it's been so long, I've been busy and sick lately anyways I'm updating this as I speak sorta.