Which server? + What to do with it?

1823alex

I'm thinking of getting a cheap server I found 2 so far in my area I won't post links but I'll post the names and specs. My question is what should I do with it? I was thinking file server, website host, VM host, and maybe a TS server for my friends cause Skype sucks.

Specs of the 2 haven't decided which one yet:

Dell PowerEdge 1850 - $100 USD - Spec Sheet

2 Single Core Xeon 2.8GHz

6gb Ram

2 x 3.5" U320 SCSI Hot Plug Drive Bays - PERC RAID 136 GB HD
CD-ROM Optical Drive
1 x 500w Power Supply
Windows Server 2003 R2 Ent Edition X64 1-4 CPU COA License Sticker

HP Proliant DL360 G5 - $250 USD - Spec Sheet

(2) Intel Xeon Quad Core 2.00GHz CPUs

12GB ECC memory

(4) 72GB SAS hot swappable 2.5" SAS hard drives

DVD-ROM

2 NIC ports & 1 iLO port

Two power supplies for redundancy

2 USB ports & 1 VGA port in back

1 USB port & 1 VGA port in front

No Operating System

EDIT 1:

I've made a choice, I got a Proliant DL360 on eBay for 122.50.

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/hp-proliant-dl360-g5-2x2-00-16g-4x146gig-/191379910070?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=Zz6vtBtHcsARiUI1%252F7A7mLMv2HQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I'm just not sure if it comes with an OS, but I think it was a much better deal than the other 2 above.

Any help is appreciated.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

I'd go with the HP.

Tbh both are pretty shitty, but you could probably host a website or something on it.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I'm thinking of getting a cheap server I found 2 so far in my area I won't post links but I'll post the names and specs. My question is what should I do with it? I was thinking file server, website host, VM host.

6gb Ram

CD-ROM Optical Drive

1 x 500w Power Supply

12GB ECC memory

DVD-ROM

2 NIC ports & 1 iLO port

No Operating System

Any help is appreciated.

If you don't need it, use the money for something else? 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

Minecraft server  :D

Seriously though, probably website host. Or file server for in home streaming

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I'd go with the HP.

Tbh both are pretty shitty, but you could probably host a website or something on it.

Ya well wasn't planning on spending too much just like a thing for a spare project, and hosting random crap when I need it to.\

Edit:

I also tried to find out what they we're on servermonkey and it was pretty outrageous. $475 for the Dell 1850, configured as closely as possible they didn't have the exact ram amount

and for the HP it was $780-1,005 reason for it being a 200 difference is because I'm not sure if the HP one comes with a raid card for $250 and they didn't have 12gb of ram only 8 or 16gb so configured as closely as possible again.

@TheKDub

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Ya well wasn't planning on spending too much just like a thing for a spare project, and hosting random crap when I need it to.\

Edit:

I also tried to find out what they we're on servermonkey and it was pretty outrageous. $475 for the Dell 1850, configured as closely as possible they didn't have the exact ram amount

and for the HP it was $780-1,005 reason for it being a 200 difference is because I'm not sure if the HP one comes with a raid card for $250 and they didn't have 12gb of ram only 8 or 16gb so configured as closely as possible again.

@TheKDub

Have you considered just building a small server?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Have you considered just building a small server?

As in building one? I don't really have the money to drop for it if your talking like 500 or so on a server. Right now I have FireStar in the other room which I can't do much with since I'm keeping windows on it for the purpose of so when I have my friends over they can actually play a game besides Minecraft.

The problem with those.....hella loud.

Ya, I'm expecting a mini jet engine in my room...

Ya, I'm expecting a mini jet engine in my room...

You might be able to find an Xeon CPU on eBay for dirt cheap, and build your own in a standard case.

Finding a mobo in atx format will be fun though. But not impossible.

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

You might be able to find an Xeon CPU on eBay for dirt cheap, and build your own in a standard case.

Finding a mobo in atx format will be fun though. But not impossible.

I do have some extra parts now that I think about it, I've got a 460 watt PSU on the classifieds that didn't sell, an old corsair 400r case. So I might be able to do that but RAM prices are kinda high last I checked. I'll check it out. But I don't have any

hard drives

EDIT: Also where would I get a heatsink for it? Would a standard intel heatsink from my i5 3570k work? I still have it in the box.

I do have some extra parts now that I think about it, I've got a 460 watt PSU on the classifieds that didn't sell, an old corsair 400r case. So I might be able to do that but RAM prices are kinda high last I checked. I'll check it out. But I don't have any

hard drives

EDIT: Also where would I get a heatsink for it? Would a standard intel heatsink from my i5 3570k work? I still have it in the box.

It would depend on the socket, but it might work.

It would depend on the socket, but it might work.

Wouldn't it be easier to get a cheap one like this because then I can have the dual processors so I could run VMs and all that?

Wouldn't it be easier to get a cheap one like this because then I can have the dual processors so I could run VMs and all that?

Probably.

I'm thinking of getting a cheap server I found 2 so far in my area I won't post links but I'll post the names and specs. My question is what should I do with it? I was thinking file server, website host, VM host, and maybe a TS server for my friends cause Skype sucks.

6gb Ram

CD-ROM Optical Drive

1 x 500w Power Supply

12GB ECC memory

DVD-ROM

2 NIC ports & 1 iLO port

No Operating System

Any help is appreciated.

Definitely get the HP Server. That Dell is Ancient. Dual single core CPU's? That's essentially Pentium 4 era. The HP has faster HDD's and way faster CPU's.

Also, don't bother building your own, unless you need something more powerful. You'll have to spend at least $400-500 for a very bare bones server, that in all likelihood will end up not as powerful as that HP. Just keep in mind that those are rackmount, so the fans are very fast (high RPM) and very loud. Server racks are also generally in climate controlled rooms, so if your room gets really hot in the summer, then you may encounter overheating issues.

Still though, get the HP. I would recommend using it as:

1. File Server

2. Media Server (related with .1 but with the addition of DLNA)

3. Backup Server (Backup your client machines to one location!)

4. Web Host (You mentioned this - not a bad idea, but you'll be pretty limited by whatever your Internet connection is - also you should make sure your ISP allows servers hosted on your particular plan - you don't want them to cancel your service if they ever find out!)

5. VM Host (You mentioned this as well)

It has no OS, so you have several different options. If you have a lot of time, and the willingness to learn, then you may wish to check out a Linux distro. Ubuntu Server or Debian Server are recommended. You could also check out "Amahi", which is based on either Ubuntu or Debian (I forget which) - they made a custom distro with custom software packages that essentially seek to duplicate the benefits of WHS v1 and WHS 2011.

If you have access to Dreamspark, have technet keys (from before they shut down the program), or otherwise have legal access to Windows Server keys, then I would recommend using Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Home Server 2011 (Based on 2008 R2 core), or Windows Server 2012.

If you are interested in learning/teaching yourself more about Networking Admin and that sort of stuff, you may also want to consider using the server as an Active Directory Domain Controller. You can then join client computers to the Domain, which allows for a ridiculously long list of cool things. Keep in mind that only Windows PC's can join an AD Domain, as well as, generally speaking, only the "Pro" or "Enterprise" versions.

For fun/testing, you can download free evaluation copies of Windows Server 2012, as well as Windows 8 (And possibly 7? Not sure about that), and you generally get 120 days of evaluation.

For the OS or OS's, you'll need to decide if you want to run a core OS like Linux or Windows, or if you want to virtualize everything, with VMWare ESXi, Windows HyperV, or similar solutions (Basically a mini OS, designed just for hosting multiple VM's).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

-snip-

Thanks for the long reply actually read all of it. It really helped me figure out what I want to do with it and which one to get and see how they are compared to each other. I think I'm gonna end up with the HP one I remember someone on the forum mentioned a pretty common and cheap HP server can't remember who though. But I think I'll end up running a Backup/File server and a VM host and if I did do a web host it would only be a very small home website but I'll check with my ISP. But the teaching myself networking admin thing seems pretty sweet.

Thanks for the long reply actually read all of it. It really helped me figure out what I want to do with it and which one to get and see how they are compared to each other. I think I'm gonna end up with the HP one I remember someone on the forum mentioned a pretty common and cheap HP server can't remember who though. But I think I'll end up running a Backup/File server and a VM host and if I did do a web host it would only be a very small home website but I'll check with my ISP. But the teaching myself networking admin thing seems pretty sweet.

Let me tell you, if you ever go into the IT field (Not sure how old you are), and you go into an Interview and can say "Oh yeah, I have an AD Domain Controller at home on my personal server" or something similar - it will damn well impress them. Especially for a more entry level position, as most who applicants will have little experience at home or from previous work.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Let me tell you, if you ever go into the IT field (Not sure how old you are), and you go into an Interview and can say "Oh yeah, I have an AD Domain Controller at home on my personal server" or something similar - it will damn well impress them. Especially for a more entry level position, as most who applicants will have little experience at home or from previous work.

Member title (13). But yes I'd like to get some sort of job with computers preferably an IT job with management etc.

snip

You seem like you know a bit about servers I've got a question, about desktops PCs also; Does clock speed matter on a desktop or server? I've seen newer Xeons (at least what I can tell newer) still running at 1.8-2.3 GHz while desktop processors seem to run at 3-4GHz.

EDIT:

Also which of these OS would you recommend? Are they cheaper than normal?

Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 $80.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Essentials $100

Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Standard $150

@dalekphalm

You seem like you know a bit about servers I've got a question, about desktops PCs also; Does clock speed matter on a desktop or server? I've seen newer Xeons (at least what I can tell newer) still running at 1.8-2.3 GHz while desktop processors seem to run at 3-4GHz.

Yes it does matter, but only when comparing like for like.

When I say that, I mean, if you look at the two servers you have up top.

One is a single core 2.8 GHz Xeon. The other is a Quad Core 2.0 GHz Xeon.

The first is definitely Netburst era (Pentium 4), while the second would likely be Core 2 Duo / Core 2 Quad era. Now this is speculation, since I'd need the part numbers to confirm, but I think it's a safe assumption.

Now that 2.8 GHz Xeon has a much faster clock rate, but even on Single Core performance, that 2.0 GHz Xeon would DESTROY it. So Clock speed is only relevant when comparing the same architecture. Example: AMD FX-9590 vs Intel i7-4770. The AMD has a higher clock rate, but the Intel is much faster on a per-core basis.

Now on to the Xeon's themselves. You've probably noticed that most Xeons run at a much lower clock rate compared to your typical enthusiast grade Desktop CPU's. This is for a number of reasons, but usually for stability, power consumption, and heat output. Xeon's are designed for Workstation or Server environments, so stability and reliability are the most important factors generally. In addition to that, they are (especially with servers) often packed very densely into small areas. That Server you're looking at is probably a 3U server (That's a height rating for the Rackmount system). A typical data center might have a rack with literally 10 of those servers stacked on top of each other.

At work, I have 3 3U servers stacked on top of each other on our Server Rack (Plus about a dozen other pieces of equipment, so the rack itself is pretty much full). We have an Air Conditioner running 24/7 to make sure the room keeps cold enough.

The other reason that you often see Xeons at lower clock speeds is number of cores. Xeons can go all the way up to what, 12 cores now I think? That's basically 3 i7's combined into one CPU. With that many cores crammed into a single CPU, you run into issues with power draw and heat that affect stability, so they need to turn the clock rate down to compensate. Not always the case, but it certainly is sometimes.

Hope that helped clear some of it up. If you have any more questions, feel free to keep posting them.

snip

Talk about long paragraphs and good explanations. Thank you so much. You've been of a great help to me if I can think of anything else I will definitely tag or qoute your posts. I did an Edit to the post you qouted by the way. Assuming you started typing before I edited that.

My question in that edit was:

Also which of these OS would you recommend? Are they a good deal at all? I don't know much about servers so please excuse my ignorance.

Talk about long paragraphs and good explanations. Thank you so much. You've been of a great help to me if I can think of anything else I will definitely tag or qoute your posts. I did an Edit to the post you qouted by the way. Assuming you started typing before I edited that.

My question in that edit was:

Also which of these OS would you recommend? Are they a good deal at all? I don't know much about servers so please excuse my ignorance.

All of those prices are quite cheap actually. Are they from Servermonkey?

If that's for legit product keys, then I'd recommend going for 2012 Standard, BUT if you're on a budget, then 2008 R2 might be the better choice. Either way, with those prices, I wouldn't bother with 2012 Essentials. Pick 2008 R2 (If Standard Edition or higher) if you want to go cheap, or 2012 Standard if you want to spend a bit more.

Does it say which version of 2008 R2? I would assume it's 2008 R2 Standard Edition. Whatever you do AVOID the "Foundation" editions, because they only support one physical CPU (If you install it on the HP server, it won't recognize - or use - the second CPU).

The HP is not that bad. Still pretty decent processing power. The Dell won't even work with Server 2008R2 or newer, it would have to be 2008 minus the R2. The HP has ILO built in, where with a Dell you need to add in a DRAC card to do the same functions.

There is a DL560 G5 in my rack, nearly the same as the Dl360 G5 but 2u rack height instead of one which allows for more storage and addon.

gallery_1_7_3129083.jpg

snip

I was looking at more specs on the HP and it has something called iLO or Integrated Lights Out? What is that it seems like a RDP sort of thing? Is there a special program to use for that?

Also I found those prices on Craigslist in the Chicago area. I'll probably look for 2008 R2 standard, since my Dad works with that occasionally and I'll be able to have some idea of what something means but generally I can figure out how to use lots of OS and Programs. It comes as common sense for me.

@dalekphalm