Pros and Cons of Updating Motherboard BIOS

Go to solution Solved by FireFox,

except the BIOS.. which is kind of a concern to me. 

You'll be fine mate, you update BIOS's when problems start arising with the computer otherwise it's recommended to leave it alone, in the middle of flashing it and the power goes out and you ruin your board because of performing an unneccessary update, I doubt you'll be very happy.

the topic title says it all.. i have been meaning to update my Asus Maximus V Formula Bios (0804 version) to the latest (1802 version) but i am bit skeptical about doing it because i took into consideration things i might loose when updating (installed software, saved game data, etc.) and in the worst case scenario, my computer as a whole!

is it worth it or am i going to cry in the end? and if anyone is willing to help me through with the updating processes, how do i do it?

:mellow:

the topic title says it all.. i have been meaning to update my Asus Maximus V Formula Bios (0804 version) to the latest (1802 version) but i am bit skeptical about doing it because i took into consideration things i might loose when updating (installed software, saved game data, etc.) and in the worst case scenario, my computer as a whole!

is it worth it or am i going to cry in the end? and if anyone is willing to help me through with the updating processes, how do i do it?

:mellow:

If you are having no problems with your PC then I personally would advise against it

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

i alway update my bios, the only con i have to say is it wipes your overclock setting away  

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

You won't lose any of your files on your hard drives. Just your bios settings will be restored to default, so take note of any overclocking settings or other settings you may have.  

Pros are any stability/fixes or improvements they have made you will now have.

Check the change log on Asus support page on all of the versions after 0804 to see what the you will get by updating.

As far as cons are considered the worst thing would be if the power went out during the update and it killed the board, but your board has bios flashback which

should still allow you to flash the bios again without the system on which would fix that potential issue.

As far as updating procedure you can just open the Ai suite and go to update and you should be able to update the bios from there.

System Specs: i7-4770K @ 4.4 GHz 16GB Corsair Ram @ 2000MHz Asus GTX 670 DC2T

if you have dual bios motherboard(which you have) upgrade it since if you corrupt your primary bios backup bios will restore main bios

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

if you have dual bios motherboard(which you have) upgrade it since if you corrupt your primary bios backup bios will restore main bios

That board has a replaceable bios chip , not dual bios

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

That board has a replaceable bios chip , not dual bios

weird i dont think dual bios system is that expensive or they have reasons to not have thanks for correcting me

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

You won't lose any of your files on your hard drives. Just your bios settings will be restored to default, so take note of any overclocking settings or other settings you may have.  

Pros are any stability/fixes or improvements they have made you will now have.

Check the change log on Asus support page on all of the versions after 0804 to see what the you will get by updating.

As far as cons are considered the worst thing would be if the power went out during the update and it killed the board, but your board has bios flashback which

should still allow you to flash the bios again without the system on which would fix that potential issue.

As far as updating procedure you can just open the Ai suite and go to update and you should be able to update the bios from there.

would it be advisable to download and update the bios with all the updates that come after the 0804 version or can i just jump straight to the latest one there is.. i just saw on the website the different fixes that the other versions fix! 

BIOS updates are cumulative.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

If your bios is OK leave it alone. Case in point - I killed a motherboard recently.

I was using an older bios and having some small memory issues (couldn't get my clocks to stick) so when I saw a bios that said "Improves memory support" I thought awesome !

Sadly my 106 stable bus all of a sudden wouldn't even run at 101mhz and when I tried to flash it back Mflash failed and I ended up with an £80 brick that cost me £18 to send back to the Netherlands,only for MSI to perform f**k up after f**k up and take nearly two months to send me back a working board.

By which time I'd had enough and just bought myself a AM3+ board and new CPU.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

If your bios is OK leave it alone

Agreed

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

BIOS updates are cumulative.

you kind throw me off right there, a bit of explanation please

If your bios is OK leave it alone. Case in point - I killed a motherboard recently.

I was using an older bios and having some small memory issues (couldn't get my clocks to stick) so when I saw a bios that said "Improves memory support" I thought awesome !

Sadly my 106 stable bus all of a sudden wouldn't even run at 101mhz and when I tried to flash it back Mflash failed and I ended up with an £80 brick that cost me £18 to send back to the Netherlands,only for MSI to perform f**k up after f**k up and take nearly two months to send me back a working board.

By which time I'd had enough and just bought myself a AM3+ board and new CPU.

the computer is working fine and everything is up to date (software) except the BIOS.. which is kind of a concern to me. 

Updating your bios isn't like it used to be, nowdays its painless and the chances of something going wrong, slim.

Go for it :)

Akula  | Dimastech Test Bench | Watercooled | Tri GTX 680's | Build of the Week

Mercury | Caselabs Mercury S3 | Watercooled | GTX Titan | Build of the Week

Armada | Define R4 Titanium | Watercooled | EK Waterblocks | Newest Buildlog

Pro:

Potential bugfixes, sometimes even better GPU performance.

Con:

Losing OC

Might brick

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

except the BIOS.. which is kind of a concern to me. 

You'll be fine mate, you update BIOS's when problems start arising with the computer otherwise it's recommended to leave it alone, in the middle of flashing it and the power goes out and you ruin your board because of performing an unneccessary update, I doubt you'll be very happy.

would it be advisable to download and update the bios with all the updates that come after the 0804 version or can i just jump straight to the latest one there is.. i just saw on the website the different fixes that the other versions fix! 

Yes you can just download the latest version and flash that one over unless other special instructions are specified by Asus

System Specs: i7-4770K @ 4.4 GHz 16GB Corsair Ram @ 2000MHz Asus GTX 670 DC2T

i might as well leave it the way it is for now!! i guess the update will be for later on when things do start getting shaky.. 

i might as well leave it the way it is for now!! i guess the update will be for later on when things do start getting shaky.. 

Exactly, I've updated BIOS's in the past with perfectly fine boards which in the end caused problems, a brand new BIOS update doesn't mean anything in my opinion unless you have a Z68 board like me and decide to install an Ivy Bridge CPU then updating the BIOS might be needed.