Reasons not to buy a Macbook Pro Retina

Sequence

I'm looking to buy a macbook pro retina 13" though im struggling to find reason not to buy it is there any serious downsides to it ? 

I'm looking to buy a macbook pro retina 13" though im struggling to find reason not to buy it is there any serious downsides to it ? 

What is your use case and budget. because the rMBP is pretty much the best choice for a "power" user on the go, who also needs battery life and a great screen. and its also not that expensive

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Well depends on what you're doing really, eg if you're gaming this is not the right laptop for you, but for video editing maybe. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Price and the relative performance of other products. Other than that Apple makes solid products. Unless you are gaming of course but I doubt anyone would consider OSX for gaming anyway.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Besides the price factor + you only get a very small amount of storage. the specs are MEH for that price, you can get a lot better for your money elsewhere.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Besides the price factor + you only get a very small amount of storage. the specs are MEH for that price, you can get a lot better for your money elsewhere.

Not true. PCIe SSDs and greater than 1080p displays are very expensive; MBPs are priced quite competitively once you factor in those two expensive additions. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Price and the relative performance of other products. Other than that Apple makes solid products. Unless you are gaming of course but I doubt anyone would consider OSX for gaming anyway.

show me a laptop aimed at professionals that has 

• better battery life
  • better screen (calibrated too, not just resolution)
  • better price
  • better specs
  • better build quality

and i will drop my argument. but for its price, the rMBP is really good and solid

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

• better battery life
  • better price
  • better specs
  • better build quality

The battery life is more due to the OS having better battery management that the actual laptop itself and you could switch to linux to achieve the same thing

Retina is super overrated but the Razer Blade has 3200x1800 I believe but 1080p for 15" is more than dense enough when it comes to pixels

Not hard to get better specs

I feel the Lenovo Y50 (1080P) fits this bill aside from maybe the screen

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

I'm an it tech i travel around for onsite jobs and need something reliable and fast i don't need gaming horsepower since i have a monster pc already 

fast 

light 

good battery 

portable 

functional 

The battery life is more due to the OS having better battery management that the actual laptop itself and you could switch to linux to achieve the same thing

Retina is super overrated but the Razer Blade has 3200x1800 I believe but 1080p for 15" is more than dense enough when it comes to pixels

Not hard to get better specs

I feel the Lenovo Y50 (1080P) fits this bill aside from maybe the screen

im saying all of those, together. and the razer blades screen is far from calibrated... believe me. as for going linux, i will, the second autodesk and adobe port their stuff over.

If you can run everything you need on OS X there really is not much to say agianst a MBP retina. 

Ofc you can set up a dual boot, but that wouldn't be my first choice with the limited storage. 

The only real downside is probably that it is rather hard to repair by yourself with the unibody...

//edit

You guys have to keep in mind that even though there are windows laptops with that high of a resolution the scaling on windows is still terrible. 

show me a laptop aimed at professionals that has 

• better battery life
  • better price
  • better specs
  • better build quality

and i will drop my argument. but for its price, the rMBP is really good and solid

I bought my laptop about a month ago for the £850 pricemark and its I7/12GB/512GB SSD/850M outperforms that macbook, I didn't know exactly what the OP wanted it for but in general you can get a better spec for the money. (Yes perhaps not battery life but meh)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LCXGTRC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

Also the build quality of it is on par with Apple imo.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

im saying all of those, together. and the razer blades screen is far from calibrated... believe me. as for going linux, i will, the second autodesk and adobe port their stuff over.

Now now, you said you would drop your argument if we could refute your points :P

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

I bought my laptop about a month ago for the £850 pricemark and its I7/12GB/512GB SSD/850M outperforms that macbook, I didn't know exactly what the OP wanted it for but in general you can get a better spec for the money. (Yes perhaps not battery life but meh)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LCXGTRC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

Also the build quality of it is on par with Apple imo.

doesnt have the screen, and the battery wont last a day

Now now, you said you would drop your argument if we could refute your points :P

i said i will, if you show me a laptop that beats rMBP in those points ;) you havent yet

to me the best reason not to buy the retina is apparently there is a revamped MBA coming out early next year.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

doesnt have the screen, and the battery wont last a day

Retina is overhyped. That laptop has an IPS and thats good enough for any professional IMO. Yes you get me on the battery life but do you really expect to be using it without carrying a charger? I would take the hit on the battery for much better specs any day of the week. Im not arguing with you I am giving you my opinion and I respect yours as well.

Retina is overhyped. That laptop has an IPS and thats good enough for any professional IMO. Yes you get me on the battery life but do you really expect to be using it without carrying a charger?

IPS is not good for any professional. i do colour work and i will tell you, if the screen isnt calibrated, it can be IPS all it wants, i aint taking it. comparing a work done on a calibrated screen and one done on a simple cheapo IPS panel is like comparing a painting done in a nicely lit room, and one done in a disco.

i said i will, if you show me a laptop that beats rMBP in those points ;) you havent yet

As I said, Lenovo Y50 is better with the exception of the screen

Retina is overhyped. That laptop has an IPS and thats good enough for any professional IMO. Yes you get me on the battery life but do you really expect to be using it without carrying a charger? I would take the hit on the battery for much better specs any day of the week. Im not arguing with you I am giving you my opinion and I respect yours as well.

A retina screen is not overhyped at all....Having all that extra space is amazing. And a carrying a charge with you isn't always practical, possible, or convenient. Constantly having to charge your laptop is a pain in the ass. 

IPS is not good for any professional. i do colour work and i will tell you, if the screen isnt calibrated, it can be IPS all it wants, i aint taking it. comparing a work done on a calibrated screen and one done on a simple cheapo IPS panel is like comparing a painting done in a nicely lit room, and one done in a disco.

You can always calibrate it yourself. 

And I wouldnt necessarily call a Y50 better. My rMBP is faster in general uses than my 4690k @ 4.2ghz w/ 840 evo. PCIe ssds are awesome for general use. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

ergo, for professional use (what im talking about here, from the start, said it in my first post) it is not as good.

A retina screen is not overhyped at all....Having all that extra space is amazing. And a carrying a charge with you isn't always practical, possible, or convenient. Constantly having to charge your laptop is a pain in the ass. 

You can always calibrate it yourself. 

Yes, but that either costs money, time or both ;) having an out of the box working solution is miles better

If you can run everything you need on OS X there really is not much to say agianst a MBP retina. 

Ofc you can set up a dual boot, but that wouldn't be my first choice with the limited storage. 

The only real downside is probably that it is rather hard to repair by yourself with the unibody...

//edit

You guys have to keep in mind that even though there are windows laptops with that high of a resolution the scaling on windows is still terrible. 

as far as the repair side i do it on a daily basis with macs so thats not a problem but i really doubt it will get damaged in the first place 

if I were you, I would go with the 13" Macbook Air. fast, reliable, and 12 hours of battery life. not as expensive as the pro, but just as good if you take away the retina display

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-air?aid=www-k2-macbook+air+-+index-n%40p&cp=k2-macbook+air+-n%40p

don't like the air to much it looks like the cpu take quite a hit in performance and the ram is 4gb base compared to 8gb base 

looks kind of big and im quite sure with the dedi graphics the battery life is crap 

looks kind of big and im quite sure with the dedi graphics the battery life is crap 

Actually it's pretty damn good because a. Maxwell and b. just because it has one does not mean it is constantly slurping power

Actually it's pretty damn good because a. Maxwell and b. just because it has one does not mean it is constantly slurping power

Valid points i just don't think it fits to well