Beyerdynamic DT 770 32,80 or 250Ohm?

R4nD0m_aCc3sS

I want to get a DT 770. But I dont know which one. What is the difference between the 32,80 and 250 ohm (Ω) ?

In Switzerland they cost:

32ohm 189CHF (198$)

80ohm 169CHF  (177$)

250ohm 179CHF (188$)

And do i need a amp for the 250ohm to power it?

i have dt880's in 250ohm and my mobo drives them just fine. I'd say 250ohm for you aswell if you only want to use them with your pc.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

There was no distinguishable difference between the 80 and 250ohms on my system. seeing as the 80 are a bit cheaper, i'd say those.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

If you want to use them on pc only, I would suggest the 250 ohm. If you want to use them with a phone or mp3, I'd say go for the 32 ohm to really drive them hard. My audio technica adg1's sound great with anything since it's 32 ohms. So 32 is my personal preference :P

The 250 Ohms are drive-able with almost everything fine. Sure they won't be as load as the 80 or 32 Ohms, but loud enough, also the sound quality will degrade a tiny bit, but I have never been able to hear any difference.

I would say: Get the 80 Ohms and save some money. They should sound almost identical.

Note:

I have the DT-990, but a friend of mine can confirm the same thing for the DT-770.

The lower the ohms number, the easier they are to drive. 32 ohms will be easily driven by just about anything (cell phone, computer, and so on) but higher resistance headphones (250ohm+) is generally better if you use a headphone amplifier since they're less prone to noise/interference.

I personally own the 250ohm version and you do have to crank the volume a bit on a computer but they still get comfortably loud. On a Schiit amplifier, they are excellent.

Since they all have the same efficiency the impedance won't really matter, only if you have a reeeeeeeeally low power source and want to get the last tiny bit of volume. 

The lower the ohms number, the easier they are to drive. 32 ohms will be easily driven by just about anything (cell phone, computer, and so on) but higher resistance headphones (250ohm+) is generally better if you use a headphone amplifier since they're less prone to noise/interference.

I personally own the 250ohm version and you do have to crank the volume a bit on a computer but they still get comfortably loud. On a Schiit amplifier, they are excellent.

Dear mother of god, please do not call it "ohms number". The term you are looking for is "impedance". A higher impedance headphone can ignore a higher output impedance without significant changes in the frequency response, that's all we can know for sure. You need to know impedance along with sensitivity to know how hard a headphone is to drive, not just impedance.

Since they all have the same efficiency the impedance won't really matter, only if you have a reeeeeeeeally low power source and want to get the last tiny bit of volume. 

Appreciate the terminology you used, but an amp will be able to output less current (and as a result, less power) at 250ohms than at 80ohms. So even if both 250ohm and 80ohm version of DT770 requires, say, 100mw of power, the amp will have a harder time powering the 250ohm version. Onboard sound can fail (CAN, I didn't say will) if we're dealing with such high impedances. However, same efficiency, higher impedance means you need less voltage.

So: DT770 250ohm version requires same amount of current but delivered at a higher impedance, and lower voltage.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

This is true, but from my expierence the impedance won't matter nearly as much as the efficiency at a half way decent source, unless you go up to like 600 Ohm

This is true, but from my expierence the impedance won't matter nearly as much as the efficiency at a half way decent source, unless you go up to like 600 Ohm

You might be right, I just wanted to make sure we're on the same page.  :)

*Insert rant about lack of measurements for a motherboard's onboard amp here*

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?