AMD Slashes APU Prices

Opcode

All of these numbers can be increased with a CPU + GPU overclock coupled with faster memory as well. Since DDR3-2133 was used in these benchmarks. Sure you aren't maxing games out, but gaming is still perfectly possible on these APU's.

I'm curious about their min framerates, the fluctuations and whatnot (I'll edit this if there's info in the descriptions; I'm not watching 5 different vids to find out) at those settings. Color me surprised if the titles aren't misleading.

But you're kind of wrong about the memory (at least I think you are). It does not improve much past 2133mhz, the performance anyway. That was one of the bigger disappointments I got from seeing some benchmarks because they made it sound like you could get much higher FPS just by installing 16GB of 2400mhz+.

CAS latency also seems to have little impact but I've not seen any formal comparison between CAS latencies and frequencies and, from what almost everyone says about CL, it only matters when there's large chunks of data being processed at once and not many many many small ones quickly. Or something to that effect.. Again, not sure.

i'm tired of the intel amd duopoly, the world needs a new third contender

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

thats 160$. why did they charge 189$ ? athlon x4 750K + r7 260 cost less,and it performs way better. 

and i hope nobody mentions hybrid crossfire,its awful and you can get the 750K and r9 270 for that price and literally destroys hybrid crossfire . this is desktop guys,we have lots of options 

and now with the pentium annyversary apus makes no sense. and you have an upgrade path with it,like in 1 year you can go i5 or i7. on fm2+ you are stuck with athlons

I had read AMD was going to offer a more fleshed out lineup on FM2+ and on as they phased out the AM sockets. It hadn't been confirmed but it had been bandied that AM4 wasn't gonna happen and the focus on performance and power with HSA on top of it meant that FM2+ and that line of sockets was going to take primacy. But, that was something I read a while back, I don't know what the actual long term socket plan is now with Zen and such. But, if they wind up going another way I will be disappointed I was hoping for some 6 or 8 "core" non-APU FM2 action with the PCIe 3.0 at some point in the future.

But you're kind of wrong about the memory (at least I think you are). It does not improve much past 2133mhz, the performance anyway. That was one of the bigger disappointments I got from seeing some benchmarks because they made it sound like you could get much higher FPS just by installing 16GB of 2400mhz+.

You can I have done some benchmarking with my A10-6800k with memory set at different frequencies. Each jump in frequency (1866 -> 2133 -> 2400) resulted in an average of a 4 FPS gain. Memory bandwidth is the biggest issue with APU's when it comes to gaming.

i'm tired of the intel amd duopoly, the world needs a new third contender

Samsung could get into the desktop CPU industry if they wanted to but that may sabotage their supposed relationship with AMD, and other clientele. That

Even then, they still cost around 1.5 times their Amazon SRP here... I was just lucky to get my A8 for way cheaper than it should have been...

I've been considering the A10-7850k and other AMD FM2+ CPU's for my first build for a while now after finding the video below explaining a reasonable budget upgrade path. FM2+ may not fit in as many mobo's in the future as Intel's new 2011-v3 CPUs but this would definitely be a good option for many people, like those finally getting away from consoles, those waiting for DDR4 prices to drop, and those who want to upgrade their build sequentially, like in the video. I have always bought Intel and Nvidia, but some of the Intel and Nvidia fans need to remember AMD never has the bleeding edge technology, but does provide high performance/$. 

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

"light gaming"

no such thing.

What you want is a "Smart budget build" not any old "Budget build"

Only one big difference: Upgradability.

Intel's LGA 1150 has better options when you want to upgrade down the line.

If you only have $450-500 to start looking for consoles.. then you can use that and build yourself something around LGA 1150.

starting with a G3258 & an R9 270 you can achieve 1080p (high) 60fps on most, if not all games.

once you get more cash from work and feel like streaming, get an i5.

(truth we must accept; intel has better high-end products. for now anyway)

ASRock has a z97 mobo for like $90.

You can deal with 4GBs of RAM until you get paid in a week or so ($40 a 4GB stick)

NZXT's S340 is $70 and has decent management for cables.

all of this assuming you have a job, of course :P

SPAAAAAACE!!!

Honestly, I don't really want an APU ever, since I'm just really disappointing in my Grandma's A6-3650. Yes, it is first gen, but my god. This thing is NOT a 100 watt TDP APU. More like 110-120. And it's weak. Sure, the CPU side is as powerful as an i5-650, but the GPU is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO weak it's ridiculous.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Source

AMD-Price.png

Come on Carrizo already.

If you don't mind me asking, whats the big deal about Carrizo?

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

ofc they are terrible. they are in the desktop enviroment. with normal boards where you can slap a dedicated gpu and the same cpu in the same price and get way more performance

a10 7850K should be 120$ tops

it WRONG to advertise this for gaming lol 

You people constantly forget APUs were not developed for gaming. They're developed as proof of concept machines for truly heterogeneous SOCs which could compete with Xeons in scientific computing. Gamers are the last people AMD cares about when it comes to APUs. If they can get games running well on them it's just good PR and generates a little more revenue.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

While there is no increase in GPU cores, Excavator-based CPU cores will be better than the previous generation, and it will have onboard high-bandwidth memory to solve the same memory bottleneck issue Intel solved on Iris Pro chips with eDRAM. The theoretical graphics performance on Carrizo is exactly the same, but the real performance will be moved closer to it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

This is good, great for putting in a budget build. Anyone know if AMD's stock cpu cooler is still crap?

Praise Duarte!

Excavator, possibly more powerful GPU cores (or higher core count with boosted frequency) - I had nothing to support that claim. There is literally going to be nothing special about it for desktop. You can get excited for whatever mobile stuff there may be but it's nothing to gawk at anyway.

Look at Kaveri, and then think of why Kaveri is bad and everything seemingly has gotten worse since Piledriver.

This is good, great for putting in a budget build. Anyone know if AMD's stock cpu cooler is still crap?

The latest processors with anything over 65W TDP, Athlon X4 860k, still have shitty stock heatsinks and paste for what they output. That should be true for Kaveri as well. You cannot overclock very well on the 4C processors without getting into $40-$50+ coolers and even then, anything above about 4.4ghz sees diminishing returns from voltage increase and there is literally almost no benefit to going above 4.4-4.6ghz. I think I've heard of a single 7850k getting to 4.9 but it wasn't worth it in the end. It required a ton of work with absolutely no payout.

As long the stock cooler has heatpipes for AMD line, it's fine..

You could always get a TX3 or a Hyper 212 evo though... 

Excavator, possibly more powerful GPU cores (or higher core count with boosted frequency). There is literally nothing special about it for desktop. You can get excited for whatever mobile stuff there may be but it's nothing to gawk at anyway.

Look at Kaveri, and then think of why Kaveri is bad and everything seemingly has gotten worse since Piledriver.

The first but not the third. There's not enough room on the die for both onboard high-bandwidth memory and more cores. This is still the same 28nm process.

The first but not the third. There's not enough room on the die for both onboard high-bandwidth memory and more cores. This is still the same 28nm process.

Sorry, edited my post before since I knew I was probably wrong. I wasn't citing anywhere when I said that and only remember a few rumors about carrizo/excavator.

People aren't looking hopeful because of how Kaveri turned out. Graphics might possibly be acceptable when it comes out. That is if the 900-series mid-low range GPUs don't stomp it into its grave upon arrival (whenever either are coming out, I do not know). CPU-side nothing worth mentioning. The IPC gains on Steamroller are abysmal; they can't keep up with aging Intel dual-cores.

Edit: I'm feelin' like I'm getting mega-negative about AMD here so I'm just gonna stop posting. I don't hate or like one side or the other on any front. I want the best option available for X task or a compelling consumer product. AMD failed to deliver (with this line of products and with this news). All I'm trying to do is say that these price cuts are dumb as hell and way too late. Don't go thinking these are suddenly worth buying.

From what I've heard, yes.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Delete this. Stupid phone, It posted twice.

Delete this. Stupid phone, It posted twice.

Finally I see someone else with the same problems!!! Damnit LTT fix your site for safari web browser on iOS!

Good thing for HTPC users who use their pc for media viewing related stuff.

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

Good thing for HTPC users who use their pc for media viewing related stuff.

and you need gpu power for that?

a power saving low end HR pentium is enough

and you need gpu power for that?

a power saving low end HR pentium is enough

I personally would rather have a bit beefier iGPU for hardware accelerated DXVA2 decoding. CPU performance means next to nothing these days when it comes to playing 1080p videos. The desktop Kabini APU's I think personally reign supreme when it comes to strict HTPC's. You can cram them into a ITX case for dirt cheap, they are quite, and consume way less power than a Pentium.

I'm ready to make a HTPC now that they are somewhat cheaper. Though Australian summers suck..... 

I really like the idea of APU's. If only they made it less hot and faster in the graphics side, I would probably use it for a HTPC

nice ,but will they actually introduce some new stuff?

i really hope so