Headphone for immersive gaming?

Hello!

I'm getting into the audio hobby now and I was looking for help deciding on headphones or any other suggestions.

I read through the FAQ page and been reading a lot on other sites on hi-fi headphones.

I currently use 5.1 speakers but with roommates I can't do late night gaming.

I was planing on buying the Schiit Modi and Magni for my gaming computer.

What do you guys suggest for headphones for someone that likes to be immersed in the games? Needs to be comfortable for long use also.

I was thinking one of Beyerdynamics's DT 770, DT 880, or DT 990. All 600ohm versions (maybe I don't need 600ohms?). I was reading that DT 880 do better with music where the DT 990 sound better for games. Is this true?

Maybe another headphone that you guys mite suggest like the HD598?

Not too worried about budget but I would prefer less then $350 for just the headphones. Will pay more if something else is strongly suggested.

Thank you all!

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

The difference between DT880 and 990 is the frequency response. With DT990 just think of a DT880 with more mid-bass. The 770/880/990 all have Increased treble which might cause faster ear fatigue in some people.

I suggest HD650, get them used. Last I checked, one was sold on Headfi for $250 (essentially 50% off of full retail's rip off price). Usually you can find them for $350 on Amazon used/open-box, if not, give it a month. With 598 some will argue you're almost just buying a 558, which isn't too far from 518 and then you're slipping down the price chain already. With the 600 series nobody's going to argue "it's just 598 in a different package". You already have all the amp/dac powa you need, get something a little better for headphones.

Oh. HD650 has a more laid back sound signature... it doesn't sock you in the face with the details because there's less treble, but the detail is still definitely there. (So, typically less ear fatigue) But if you're looking for less bass and more emphasis on clarity with a higher treble, HD600 is a little cheaper than HD650s. HD6xxs are all open headphones unlike DT880 which are semi-open. Many gamers want an open headphone for gaming (not just music), and this ticks the box. HD6xx are all comfy to wear and has been a standard since the 90s. If you're worried about noise leaking outside bothering others, know that the sound of your computer's fans while gaming will probably be far louder. The problem with open headphones is outside noise leaking in, like when you're listening on a public bus. But these weren't designed for that anyways.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Hurp, looked at the DT880's FR myself and I have no idea why I thought they were balanced at all. Check this out, I threw in the HD650 just for comparison:

Untitled.png

I updated the first paragraph of my previous post in light of this. Probably why people say DT990 is a good gaming headphone is because is open, but so is HD6xxs.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

You already have all the amp/dac powa you need, get something a little better for headphones.

When say this: you mean with the Schiit Modi and Magni or with the on board amp and dac that's on my Maximus V Formula Mobo?

Thank you for the info. I will look into those and try to find them for less then $500. 

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

When say this: you mean with the Schiit Modi and Magni or with the on board amp and dac that's on my Maximus V Formula Mobo?

Thank you for the info. I will look into those and try to find them for less then $500. 

Yea, don't buy em' for $500.

I was saying that the Schiit stack you have is more than enough for these headphones. I think the best philosophy is to think of the headphones first, and amp/dac second except in extreme cases (which this is not). So, I think the headphones ought to be pricier than the amp/dac combined because the headphone is the real star here, the amp and dac just serve the headphone. Get something a little higher end, and the HD650 just happens to fall into your price range. Shearme loves his pair, and I like to recommend it as well. Many people here can't afford it though, so we don't get to talk about it often.

Hurp, looked at the DT880's FR myself and I have no idea why I thought they were balanced at all. Check this out, I threw in the HD650 just for comparison:

Untitled.png

I updated the first paragraph of my previous post in light of this. Probably why people say DT990 is a good gaming headphone is because is open, but so is HD6xxs.

I'm new and learning this stuff. Can you explain to me how this graphic shows that they are imbalanced? or are you saying they should be more inline with the HD650?

I'm new and learning this stuff. Can you explain to me how this graphic shows that they are imbalanced? or are you saying they should be more inline with the HD650?

The X axis is the frequency. The human ear hears from 20hz to 20,000hz (aka 20khz). The top of the chart shows which frequencies are considered "bass", "midrange" and "treble". Treble means high pitched notes. The Y axis is loudness. The higher line is at a frequency, the louder the headphone plays that frequency. Of course, it's all relative to the other frequencies. Theoretically we want a neutral frequency response which would be a flat line, meaning no emphasis is made on any frequency, which basically means you're hearing what the artist put into the music, no more, no less. With speakers we have major problems with the room interacting with the sound waves, so that even if a neutral FR is played, by the time it has hit our ears from reflecting around the room, it won't be neutral anymore. For headphones the room isn't a problem, but the shape of the earcups and our head/ear/ear canals alter the frequency response. So while theoretically we want a flat line for frequency response, that's not necessarily the case in practice. (Plus, some people want more bass than what the artist intended, for example. Being accurate won't make them happy.)

So we want a little boost in bass with a small decline in treble, which is kindda like what the HD650 offers. If you look at the blue or the red line for the DT990/880s, you'll find that they have quite a high-bass and low-midrange emphasis (look at the large hump at 100-200hz). They also have a large amount of treble: There are peaks at 6000 and 9000 hz. So, we expect to hear extra bass and extra treble with the DT 880/990s. Higher treble typically amplifies details in the music but it's not actually accurate to the recording. A hyped treble and a hyped bass makes things sound more engaging, more 'exciting' but in my opinion too artificial and objectively not accurate. Plus, higher treble tends to make people's ears sensitive.

You can always EQ things and EQ can almost transform a headphone, but that's only if you're an EQ expert and you've got a lot of time to burn. Most people want a headphone that has a sound signature they like and then fine tune it (if you want) with EQ.

Oh, and if you're sitting here staring at the crazy line orgy above 10khz, don't worry, that's just the limitations of testing gear/methods, plus it's not all that important anyways.