Cloud Connected Guns For Cops that can Recognize Shots & Alert Backup in Realtime.

Dash cams of the future. *POW*
 My_Desert_Eagle__50AE__by_DJSkipmatic.jp
Article comes courtesy of Forbes :/

Yardarm a Cali-based startup company makes a tiny piece of hardware police officers snap into the back of their guns that contains an industrial-grade accelerometer and a magnetometer.

This is the Worlds very first wireless firearm technology , created for the improved safety & awareness of the police officers.

Like dash cams or body cameras on officers, the Yardarm sensor could be used to collect more data with what’s happening while officers are on duty. It could help reconstruct what actually happened after an incident.Yardarm Technologies would notify dispatchers in real time when an officer's gun is taken out of its holster and when it's fired.

ht_yardarm_jef_130524_wmain.jpg

The device is able to track the location of the gun, whether the gun is holstered or not, when it’s loaded and when it’s fired. The company is also working on being able to tell which direction the gun is pointed.
 (Now that's a cool thing you don't get to hear everyday
)

All of this data coming off the sensors are connected to the police officer’s smarthphone via Bluetooth and that’s then being sent up to Yardarm’s servers. Once in the cloud, the information can be routed to the dispatcher’s software suite police departments have installed companies such as Motorola, Intergraph and Harris make this kind of dispatcher software.

The Yardarm Sensor connects to the Yardarm Cloud via GSM and provides a set of powerful data streams that can be imported into the industry’s leading CAD and RTCC software solutions via standard APIs. These sensor readings, which are all available in real-time, These data includes :

• Holster/Unholster – When an officer unholsters his weapon, dispatch can be immediately notified and officers in the field can see when and where a colleague may require assistance
  • Discharge – There is no more critical event in the field than an officer discharging their weapon. Alerts are immediately sent to dispatch and can be sent to a commander directly via mobile alerts
  • Geo-Location - Event based location awareness and history for real-time alerts and post crime scene review and analysis
  • Direction of Fire/Aim – Track and record the direction of aim, providing real-time tactical value for commanders and providing crime scene investigators valuable data for prosecution

WireAP_17280870d8f642b98cb368734663bf09_

Yardarm is also building a set of rules for how the data is used. For example, an alert could be sent off to the dispatcher if a police officer unholsters their gun while on a traffic stop, but to not send out an alert every time the officer unholsters the weapon as they may just be checking their weapon or going to the bathroom.

“There’s an overall transition with more sensors out their in the world to invade our privacy"

Yardarm is selling its device primarily as a police safety tool. Because Yardarm is designing its data to easily fit into dispatcher software, it could help dispatchers keep better tabs on all of its officers.

gun-state-home-B2.jpg

“There’s always a danger of the sensor being inaccurate in a way that could lead someone innocent to be accused of wrongdoing,”

Bonus:

Sorry i didn't see you there..

925e4fb5db982e128991c2208fb2af1f.gif

http://www.yardarmtech.com/

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/california-startup-unveils-gun-technology-cops-26418304

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aarontilley/2014/10/24/yardarm-sensor-gun/

Really cool device, Technically very useful when it comes to handling rare cases wth civilian injury/death involved, what's your take on this? let me know in the comments down below..

Details separate people.

That is cool....

giphy.gif

AMERICA

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Bet you all of the money in my pocket right now it won't go big, for various politically corrupt reasons.

Neat.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Bet you all of the money in my pocket right now it won't go big, for various politically corrupt reasons.

Oh it'll go big. Progressives will be screaming in favor of this and force it through even if republicans have to die in the process. It's just the right thing to do. We don't trust our police officers in this country, and this will help sort the good ones from the abusers. The only groups which will be against this are some police union bosses, the NRA, and technophobes.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

*chasing a criminal*

Dammit, there's no Wi-Fi!

power-outage-no-wifi-its-been-tough.gif

Because he had a hard drive.

This needs to happen and we need it as soon as possible.

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

yeah.....good luck convincing most local PD's that this is worth the budget

guns are a tool - to be used when needed and nothing else. it's not their central computer or smartphone that handles everything and it never should be.

no cop (should be when following proper training) goes into a lethal situation alone - they already call of backup. this just seems like a device made by people who have no clue and/or experience in the police force

This is definitely a good advancement in safety, but for this to get mainstream adoption it needs to be both reliably and as secure from hacking as possible.. Being able to hack a gun and change/delete activity data could lead to some very bad court cases ("I wasn't the murderer, my gun's data proves that I never shot him!" etc.)

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems