Vita/3DS, re: current title line-up?

Makaseo

Hey guys.

Decided to grab a current-gen portable, but having a hard time deciding which. Whichever one I get now, I know I'll get the other later anyways, so a Vita VS 3DS flame-war is not my intent. I just wanted to hear from you guys which console you think is better to get considering the number of cool games out right now.

Thanks for any replies.

Did you own any previous generation of handhelds? Such as the DS or PSP?

I haven't tried the 3DS XL yet but going with just build quality from the original products, it just feels nicer holding the Vita. My 3DS just feels.....so flimsy...even compared to my DS Lite.

As for the game line-up, it's really up to you on what genres you play. 3DS does have better dev support than the Vita. I look at the Vita 2013 game line-up and all I can get excited for is just Soul Sacrifice and maybe Sly4. Maybe the PS4 will bring in more cross platform games.

La`~

Did you own any previous generation of handhelds? Such as the DS or PSP?

I haven't tried the 3DS XL yet but going with just build quality from the original products, it just feels nicer holding the Vita. My 3DS just feels.....so flimsy...even compared to my DS Lite.

As for the game line-up, it's really up to you on what genres you play. 3DS does have better dev support than the Vita. I look at the Vita 2013 game line-up and all I can get excited for is just Soul Sacrifice and maybe Sly4. Maybe the PS4 will bring in more cross platform games.

Just to clarify, I like both the consoles. There are several games I would like to play on both the platforms. I just like using my Vita more. It feels more well-built. Also, because of the 3DS streetpass, I need to charge my 3ds daily even though I don't really play with it. Gets annoying sometimes but I can always turn it off. Hopefully the 3DS XL will be much better when I trade it in.

La`~

Thanks for the reply, amas.

I owned both of the previous-gen consoles, which is why it's so hard for me to commit to one before the other. I probably won't have the spare change to afford the second for at least half a year aftewards.

For genres, I'd say I'm into story-driven games and rhythm games. Persona 4 Golden, Wipeout, and Technika Tune are my draws to the Vita right now, and Theatrhythm, OoT 3D, and Dream Drop Distance for the 3DS. I posted to see if there was anything I missed to break the tie.

Last Virtue, Project diva, Tune, MGS, gravity rush, p4g, Corpse party, Sound shapes.....just get a Vita ;O

La`~

I am not really a console guy as I have not been able to commit to a specific console for more than a year, but I would probably prefer the nintendo 3DS just because the games seem more "relaxing" and "fun". But if you want ps3 like games go with the vita.

"No signature"

• 1 month later...

Rhythm thief is a fun game for the 3ds, Tales of Abyss is also a good one. Also I'm waiting for these games to be released. Castlevania Mirror of fate and Luigi's Mansion 2.

• 4 weeks later...

I own handhelds and love them both. However I tend to use my Vita more especially when paired with Playstation Plus. SCEE has given us some great Vita games for free in past months.

• 1 month later...

Both have an extensive backlog at this point of games from the past and those released for the current handheld. 

I personally have a Vita. I want to play it more often but can't find out where it fits in my life since I don't commute via public transport or travel a lot. That's besides the point though. With Nintendo, you should already know what you're getting- Mario, Zelda, obscure JRPGs, etc

Sony on the other hand has games that appeal to anyone. My personal favorites are Uncharted: GA, Little Big Planet, Super Stardust, and Gravity Rush. Those right there are games from varying genres. Feel free to ask more questions since I've owned mine since launch. I'll keep it free from bias as much as possible and give you the realistic perspective of both.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

I own both but I hardly ever play on the Vita after Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Fire Emblem Awakening came out.

PC: The Oracle
Phone History: Nokia 3310, Samsung Z500, HTC Touch, iPhone 3GS + Samsung S5600 Preston, iPhone 3GS + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S2 + Samsung Galaxy Tab + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S3 + Blackberry Torch 9800, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Blackberry Bold 9900 + Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Note 2  + Nokia Lumia 920, Galaxy S4 +Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S5

• 2 weeks later...

3ds for monster hunter! i wish it was for the vita though :(

i have to say 3ds... pokemon, fire emblem and monster hunter series are just too good. only thing i play on my vita is persona 4 which is absolutly amazing

I would get a 3DS XL. The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that it's not region free.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

Depends what kind of gaming you plan on doing. If you want to be using this for actual gaming, and you want to get full gameplay and be playing for extended periods of time, both consoles are great. If you want to be able to play part of a game for 2 minutes and just carry on as you see fit, I'd go with the 3DS, as lots of the main titles aren't 'immersive'*, whereas PS Vita's are a little more hardcore gaming*

* I put asterisks next to immersive & hardcore gaming as the games will be as immersive as the <10" screen will allow. 

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

I think it's worth pointing out that at this stage the 3DS has 6x the install base.....

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Personally I would go for the VITA but Fire Emblem and Pokemon on the DS are too hard to resist.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?