Need a laptop or tablet for school please help :)

bamerx98
Go to solution Solved by bamerx98,

So you keep saying. I, personally, would not buy a laptop with less than 128GB local storage because wifi connectivity cannot, in every situation, be a given.

I think I've decided going to get a Acer C720 and boot it with Linux

Hey guys,

So I've been recently using my mums old laptop for school and its not really cutting it anymore as a hour of battery life and the slow boot times are really killing me. I just don't know what to get, primary I use it for word typing notes and browsing the web. I don't a device that has a lot of power but I don't know what to get if I should get something like a nexus 7 and a keyboard and be done with it or maybe a cheap laptop and get a SSD. Anyways I'm looking for idea on the cheap, I'd really like to try and keep it under 400 if possible but any ideas or welcome. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Chassis/Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe RAM:  Team Vulcan 2x4Gb(2133Mhz)  Video Card: Asus 7970 Direct CU II Custom Rom (150% Power, 1100 core 6Ghz Memory)  Power Supply: Fractal Integra R2 750 Watt  Keyboard: Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (MX Blue Switches)  MouseCorsair M90 Storage: SX900 128Gb, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM, WD Green 1TB 7200RPM   MY OLD BUILDLOG

The Fastest 8350 @5.33Ghz with a score of 9.16pts in Cinebench 11.5

Hey guys,

So I've been recently using my mums old laptop for school and its not really cutting it anymore as a hour of battery life and the slow boot times are really killing me. I just don't know what to get, primary I use it for word typing notes and browsing the web. I don't a device that has a lot of power but I don't know what to get if I should get something like a nexus 7 and a keyboard and be done with it or maybe a cheap laptop and get a SSD. Anyways I'm looking for idea on the cheap, I'd really like to try and keep it under 400 if possible but any ideas or welcome. 

How much typing? Do you need to use Word or Excel?

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

I would get a chromebook if I were you. Yes, they are not extremely powerful, but they get the job done

Life.exe is missing

How much typing? Do you need to use Word or Excel?

Almost everyday probably close to 500-2000 words a day in word primarily,  I don't really use excel. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Chassis/Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe RAM:  Team Vulcan 2x4Gb(2133Mhz)  Video Card: Asus 7970 Direct CU II Custom Rom (150% Power, 1100 core 6Ghz Memory)  Power Supply: Fractal Integra R2 750 Watt  Keyboard: Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (MX Blue Switches)  MouseCorsair M90 Storage: SX900 128Gb, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM, WD Green 1TB 7200RPM   MY OLD BUILDLOG

I would get a chromebook if I were you. Yes, they are not extremely powerful, but they get the job done

Chromebook is a good idea not my favourite but Ill keep it in mind

Almost everyday probably close to 500-2000 words a day in word primarily,  I don't really use excel. 

Then get a laptop. Typing on bluetooth cramped keyboards is never fun, and having to convert all your stuff to word later will be annoying. 

$400 is going to be tough though, especially in size and battery life... 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Lenovo makes some of the best keyboards, reason why they are one of the favorites for students, schools, and other institutions.  Not to include they aren't extremely overpriced and have pretty awesome support.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

And their functionality is limited almost to uselessness if you have to work offline for extended periods.

You should choose your own, you have 1000 posts, right?

I've been really trying its nice to hear peoples ideas and thought though to a problem because I am really stuck here like I want something that is really function towards school work.

And their functionality is limited almost to uselessness if you have to work offline for extended periods.

Chrome book wtih Linux??? 

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Stream-Laptop-Natural-Silver/dp/B00MVJYK6S/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1413923976&sr=1-2

It only has 32GB of onboard storage, but with this and cloud services its really all you need for school.  Nice display, bigger than 10" netbooks, light weight, quad core CPU, and just all around nice machine.

Edit  --

If you do get this machine, please do a clean install of Windows.  It DOES NOT have the horsepower to handle all the bloatware that the machine will come with.  But with a clean Windows install, with just office, drivers and software, and such like that.  It will be a amazing sub $300 notebook.

The worst review on Amazon said that the charger was broke and they had to return it, so very positive reviews.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Then get a laptop. Typing on bluetooth cramped keyboards is never fun, and having to convert all your stuff to word later will be annoying. 

$400 is going to be tough though, especially in size and battery life... 

I am really leaning to a chrome book running some version of Linux 

Chrome book wtih Linux??? 

True. Although most do have SSDs in them worthy of an iPhone 4 so that would concern me too. I don't like relying purely on a cloud.

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Stream-Laptop-Natural-Silver/dp/B00MVJYK6S/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1413923976&sr=1-2

It only has 32GB of onboard storage, but with this and cloud services its really all you need for school.  Nice display, bigger than 10" netbooks, light weight, quad core CPU, and just all around nice machine.

Really really like this, but problem might be getting near that price in Canada

True. Although most do have SSDs in them worthy of an iPhone 4 so that would concern me too. I don't like relying purely on a cloud.

Chromebook is really a good option 

Maybe you could consider at MS Surface (non pro). I know a few people that have it and they are happy enough with it as it came with office. Like you they only use MS Word and surf the web. There is no chrome or other browser on it so you would be stuck with Internet Explorer.  

Chromebook is really a good option 

So you keep saying. I, personally, would not buy a laptop with less than 128GB local storage because wifi connectivity cannot, in every situation, be a given.

I think I've decided going to get a Acer C720 and boot it with Linux