HTC One M8 or Moto X Gen. 1 and Where Should I Buy It?

gurnben

Hey guys, I am in the market for my first smartphone. I currently have Net10, so I need a sprint or AT&T unlocked phone.

First, which phone should I get? The Moto X is within my price range right now on amazon, but I've looked at a 32gb version that says it is the "developer edition". What do they mean by that? I did find an HTC One M8 on e-bay new for $250, but soon thereafter it was gone.

Second, where can I buy such a phone for the lowest possible price?

Thanks ahead of time and if you need any more background or info, just ask!

How about a Nexus 5? Or a OnePlus One if you can snag an invite.

forgive my ignora

How about a Nexus 5? Or a OnePlus One if you can snag an invite.

forgive my ignorance, but what is a OnePlus One? Also, I've heard mixed reviews on the Nexus 5, but I'm open to the option! Let me look it up, is it at all similar to the other options?

forgive my ignoraforgive my ignorance, but what is a OnePlus One? Also, I've heard mixed reviews on the Nexus 5, but I'm open to the option! Let me look it up, is it at all similar to the other options?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56ABkqKE6fw

And do you know anyone who wants to share an invite? LOL

You can find some floating around on Ebay. Also, there is occasionally people giving them away on the forums. 

but I've looked at a 32gb version that says it is the "developer edition". What do they mean by that?

I believe developer edition phones are prerooted or have an unlocked bootloader out of the factory.

EDIT: They have bootloaders which can be unlocked, they are not unlocked out of the factory. But unlocking your bootloader MAY void your warranty.

I believe developer edition phones are prerooted or have an unlocked bootloader out of the factory.

Again, forgive my ignorance about phones, this would not effect the phone's function would it? I could basically buy it for the extra $50 just to get a 32gb instead of a 16gb, correct? Thanks for all of the responses!

Again, forgive my ignorance about phones, this would not effect the phone's function would it? I could basically buy it for the extra $50 just to get a 32gb instead of a 16gb, correct? Thanks for all of the responses!

No, it would actually save you some hassle if you decide to throw a custom ROM on there, as manufacturers who sell developer edition phones sell phones that are not dev edition will lock the bootloaders so they cannot be unlocked. Dev edition phones can be unlocked, however.

No, it would actually save you some hassle if you decide to throw a custom ROM on there, as manufacturers who sell developer edition phones sell phones that are not dev edition will lock the bootloaders so they cannot be unlocked. Dev edition phones can be unlocked, however.

OK, well I honestly don't plan to throw any ROMs or do any unlocking so I guess I'm probably better off with the standard then?

OK, well I honestly don't plan to throw any ROMs or do any unlocking so I guess I'm probably better off with the standard then?

Well if you don't want to do any unlocking or ROMs then the developer edition is just a standard phone for you.

Well if you don't want to do any unlocking or ROMs then the developer edition is just a standard phone for you.

Yay! Thanks, I might just go for that option then, since the second gen came out you can't find any other 32gb model