Is the Google Nexus 5 still a good phone?

Hello LTT forum users,

I am in the market for a new mobile phone and I am considering the Google Nexus 5 even though it is approximately 1 years old. Is this phone still good?

I have found a contract deal (UK) with T-Mobile for a Nexus 5 handset (rrp £260), 500 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data for £20 (after cash-back) per month over 2 years. I am completely out of the loop when it comes to mobile phones and contracts. Is this a good deal? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

edit: Other phones I am considering are:

• Moto G (off-contract)
  • Samsung Galaxy S4
  • LG G2
  • Nokia Lumia

What about any of these alternatives? I am looking to get a free handset + unlimited data for ~£20/month. I would also prefer a device that ran as close to stock android as possible.

I should mention as a reference point that the last handset I used was an iPhone 4S, I had it for around 3 years before it broke last month.

edit 2: I've found 2 deals that I am happy with, one for the Google Nexus 5 (£20.78/month) and one for the LG G2 (£21.49/month) device, both come with 500 mins, ultd text & ultd data. The difference is £17 over the length of full contract, which is negligible. I'm not sure which device I favour... Nexus 5 or G2?!

edit 3: Just ordered a Google Nexus 5, thanks for the help and advice everyone.   :)

It's still good, it's just not the most high end modern phone.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I would go for G2 because they cost about the same and G2 is a better phone. Unless you REALLY want the stock android experience.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Yeah, it has a Snapdragon 800 which is still one of the most powerful chips out there in phones.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I would go for G2 because they cost about the same and G2 is a better phone. Unless you REALLY want the stock android experience.

Thanks for the advice, I will watch a few video reviews of the G2, it was completely off my radar to be honest.

I wouldnt go for the G2 its kinda meh. The G3 is a major step up but probably not an option

I wouldnt go for the G2 its kinda meh. The G3 is a major step up but probably not an option

Better battery life, better camera, better screen size in the same body.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

The LG G2 has been placed onto my 'Phones to be considered list', would you recommend any other handsets around the same price point? I am looking to get a free handset and unlimited data for around £20 per month. Thanks in advance  :)

Its not the same body...

Its not the same body...

Same size pretty much.

Spoiler

Same size pretty much.

But the shape is different, bezel size is different, the G3 is taller and wider...

But the shape is different, bezel size is different, the G3 is taller and wider...

im talking about g2. http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/LG-G2,Google-Nexus-5/phones/7969,8148

it's pretty much the same thing.

Spoiler

I have updated the original post if anybody would like to check it out and offer me some advice. Thanks in advance  :)

I think I am favouring the LG G2 device depending on how easy it is to remove LG's bloatware and install stock android.

Nexus 5 > lg g2 until you ROM the g2.

I've been a single click away from ordering both phones within the past 20 minutes, I keep changing my mind. The G2 outperforms the the Nexus 5 in performance benchmarks (even though they have the same CPU) and has better battery life, however I really want the stock android experience and I'm unsure about the G2's backbuttons.

I've decided that I'm going to order the Nexus 5 and use it heavily for a few days, if battery life is an issue then I will return it and order a G2 instead.

I've been a single click away from ordering both phones within the past 20 minutes, I keep changing my mind. The G2 outperforms the the Nexus 5 in performance benchmarks (even though they have the same CPU) and has better battery life, however I really want the stock android experience and I'm unsure about the G2's backbuttons.

I've decided that I'm going to order the Nexus 5 and use it heavily for a few days, if battery life is an issue then I will return it and order a G2 instead.

Flashing a kernel such as Franco on the nexus should help a ton with the battery.

Flashing a kernel such as Franco on the nexus should help a ton with the battery.

What is a kernel?