Is 550 Watt enough?

Keigin

Hi all, just need some advice on how much power I need for my system.

Im using a pre-built gaming pc from Acer which uses a 450 watt psu. Planning on upgrading this now. I originally just wanted to upgrade the gpu but psu is also a good idea. 

Ive ordered a larger case and a gtx-970 gpu. After some researching I thought maybe replacing the motherboard but Im going to keep the i7 2600 cpu which came with the pre-build. Maybe some faster RAM would also help my system, specially with games which is what I need it for mostly, so some 1600mhz corsais vengeance rams would surely be good. Want to run about 4 or 5 fans plus a cpu cooler in the new case for better cooling. Gigabyte recommends 550watts for the card. So can I get away with that for the system? Or do I need 650 watts? Im not going to be overclocking anything and the card is already OC. 

And can someone recommend a decent not too expensive psu? Maybe something semi-or fully modular? Or is that not so relevant for someone starting out with the whole pc upgrading?

You could even use a 430W PSU and it would run fine. A 550W PSU is more than enough

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

550Watt 80+ is good enough for 2 980s, you'll be just fine with a 970. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

550w is more than enough. 

CPU:  i7 5820k  @4.0Ghz Cooler: Thermaltake Nic C5 Motherboard: MSI X99A SLI PLUS  Ram: 8 gb @2133Mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 @1560  Case: Proprietary Sun Ultra 24  Storage: HyperX 120gb & 1 TB WD Green PSU: Cooler Master 550w 

550 ftw, even if u sli 970 is still ftw

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

Awesome :D 

Any PSU you would recommend? 

Ok thanks, the V550 from cooler master is the same thing as vsm-550 I saw. 

Thats better than the SeaSonic one?