How much bottleneck'd am I?

So I have a Pentium G3258 with a VTX3D HD 7870 Black Edition. Unfortunately I bought a H81 motherboard since everyone was on the low end OC train, turns out Intel released a microcode to prevent that. Here I am with stock Pentium.

Lately a lot of games have been freezing on me, skipping frames and sometimes even crashing. My GPU is kinda ok but the stock pentium is killing me, how much of a bottleneck is it?

Honestly it wont bottleneck you THAT much, heck even the way worse g3220 pentiums are decent performance in gaming

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Honestly it wont bottleneck you THAT much, heck even the way worse g3220 pentiums are decent performance in gaming

What else could cause these game crashes? Even in not so high end games.

What are you playing and what fps are you getting, resolution settings etc

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

...turns out Intel released a microcode to prevent that....

Is this true? What the f#$% intel? 

HARDWARE INTERRUPT MOTHAF#%A!
WINDOWS 10 = adware, driven by spyware

Wut ... There were specific bios updates to support the overclocking of g3258 on alot of chipsets ( b85 , h81 ,h87 , h97 .... ) . Is the problem only on h81 ? Or intel completely fucked every initially non OC chipset ?

Well that's what I read on this forum. Even if I update motherboard bios I can't overclock. Tried all the BIOS versions,

What are you playing and what fps are you getting, resolution settings etc

DMC, Civ5 on highest plays smooth but crashes, LoL and CS:GO on medium sometimes skips frames.

So I have a Pentium G3258 with a VTX3D HD 7870 Black Edition. Unfortunately I bought a H81 motherboard since everyone was on the low end OC train, turns out Intel released a microcode to prevent that. Here I am with stock Pentium.

Lately a lot of games have been freezing on me, skipping frames and sometimes even crashing. My GPU is kinda ok but the stock pentium is killing me, how much of a bottleneck is it?

you have your answer within your question right there buddy!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

DMC, Civ5 on highest plays smooth but crashes, LoL and CS:GO on medium sometimes skips frames.

That is weird, that shouldnt be happening at all, perhaps its your GPU, or a driver issue

That is weird, that shouldnt be happening at all, perhaps its your GPU, or a driver issue

civ 5 online can defenetly kill a low clocked dual core...same goes for many other games when played online on huge servers...i won't recommend the pentium for gaming. Stuttering is normal and will occur anytime something is going on in the background while playing...OP make sure to scan for malware or viruses that would use up CPU power...also maybe try turning off anti-virus and other things that might eat up ressources.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

civ 5 online can defenetly kill a low clocked dual core...same goes for many other games when played online on huge servers...i won't recommend the pentium for gaming. Stuttering is normal and will occur anytime something is going on in the background while playing...OP make sure to scan for malware or viruses that would use up CPU power...also maybe try turning off anti-virus and other things that might eat up ressources.

Yeah thats true, but it should still be able to cost with most things just fine 

here is a g3220 and a 7770 playing FB4 just fine. it should not be stuttering in CS:GO or DMC, especially if he only running  at medium

No, a G3258 will generally be no limiting factor for anything below a GTX760 in 1080p gaming. 

Also, the H81 boards could've just as well been locked for stability reasons. If they'd really want to discourage overclocking on cheap boards, they'd have modded all chipsets but z97.

If the only issue was just that your CPU was too slow, you'd just see low framerates. Crashing indicates that there are actual problems somewhere: driver issues, missing or corrupted game files, having the wrong apps running in the background, [occasionally] faulty hardware, etc.

No, a G3258 will generally be no limiting factor for anything below a GTX760 in 1080p gaming.

Ehhhh.. that depends on the game. Big groups of players in Guild Wars 2, for example, can cause even an i7 to drop into the 40's. I don't think a consumer CPU exists that will keep that game at 60 FPS at all times.

But that said, this system is reasonably balanced. "CPU bottlenecks" based solely on hardware are generally very overblown in tech forums.

Ehhhh.. that depends on the game. Big groups of players in Guild Wars 2, for example, can cause even an i7 to drop into the 40's. I don't think a consumer CPU exists that will keep that game at 60 FPS at all times.

But that said, this system is reasonably balanced. "CPU bottlenecks" based solely on hardware are generally very overblown in tech forums.

He knows all of this. He said "generally" no bottleneck.

CPU's rarely bottleneck cards as much any more, games seem to be (totally anecdotal BTW) much more GPU intensive nowadays.

Odd game may only work well with 4 cores/threads though.

CPU's rarely bottleneck cards as much any more, games seem to be (totally anecdotal BTW) much more GPU intensive nowadays.

Odd game may only work well with 4 cores/threads though.

you still need a descent amount of central processing power for games to run optimaly, some games still only rely on 2 cores for processing but for the most part modern games nowadays will run 4 threads for processing or more...that does not mean that an haswell dual-core cpu can't run them since the cores are quite fast...but a strong quad-core for gaming should be highly considered.

Also it is important to have ''fast'' processing cores...we've seen AMD FX CPU's limiting even mid-range graphics cards in many games even at crazy clockspeed of over 4.5ghz...the efficiency of the cores are very important, games don't rely on ''how much'' can be processed but more on ''how fast'' these instructions can be fed through the chip.

you still need a descent amount of central processing power for games to run optimaly, some games still only rely on 2 cores for processing but for the most part modern games nowadays will run 4 threads for processing or more...that does not mean that an haswell dual-core cpu can't run them since the cores are quite fast...but a strong quad-core for gaming should be highly considered.

Also it is important to have ''fast'' processing cores...we've seen AMD FX CPU's limiting even mid-range graphics cards in many games even at crazy clockspeed of over 4.5ghz...the efficiency of the cores are very important, games don't rely on ''how much'' can be processed but more on ''how fast'' these instructions can be fed through the chip.

Would buying a Z97 board and overclocking my Pentium help the performance much? Or is it my card that is also holding back? Temps are fine for both GPU and CPU.

Would buying a Z97 board and overclocking my Pentium help the performance much? Or is it my card that is also holding back? Temps are fine for both GPU and CPU.

overclocking it a lot would help some...upgrading it to a core i5-4430 or i5-4440 on your current motherboard would help a lot more.