Is my gaming computer worth it for the price I paid?

TallOne123
Go to solution Solved by jlacy222,

I'm posting my build log here not to show off, but to get some real and honest feedback.

The reason why I'm posting my build here in the first place is because I finally realized how much money I spent on upgrades.... and I spent a LOT. I just haven't realized until now because I enhanced my hardware over the course of 9 months. When I put the puzzles together, it shocks me how I could have spent so much money without my money-saving conscience stepping in.

I would try answering this question myself, but some of my parts haven't come in the mail yet so I'm essentially stuck with no way of testing my new build.

I can't do anything about it now. I just hope that the theoretical performance of my build justifies the greens thrown out of the window.

My Computer (Prices include shipping and tax, thats why the numbers look so funny)

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 - Black Pearl - $112.12

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650-Watt TX Series 80 Plus Certified - $50.99

Hard Drives: Seagate Desktop 3TB HDD SATA 6Gb/s 7200RPM Internal Drive - $80.49 + $7.61 (Sata cable) = $88.1

1 TB Hard Drive - Using from old build

2 TB External Hard Drive x2 - Using from old build

GPU: MSI Radeon 7970 - $300

GPU Cooler: Gelid Solutions Icy Vision A - $58.85

VRAM Thermal Adhesive - $10.89

CPU: i5-4670k - $184.63

CPU Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate - $98.09

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z87 TUF series - $125

RAM: 4 sticks of 2GB RAM from old build

Total: $1028.67 = ~$1,030.00

... I hope you guys don't tell me to upgrade anything :(

In my opinion, you did great and I'd say the price you paid is very fair, good job!

I'm posting my build log here not to show off, but to get some real and honest feedback.

The reason why I'm posting my build here in the first place is because I finally realized how much money I spent on upgrades.... and I spent a LOT. I just haven't realized until now because I enhanced my hardware over the course of 9 months. When I put the puzzles together, it shocks me how I could have spent so much money without my money-saving conscience stepping in.

I would try answering this question myself, but some of my parts haven't come in the mail yet so I'm essentially stuck with no way of testing my new build.

I can't do anything about it now. I just hope that the theoretical performance of my build justifies the greens thrown out of the window.

My Computer (Prices include shipping and tax, thats why the numbers look so funny)

Hard Drives: Seagate Desktop 3TB HDD SATA 6Gb/s 7200RPM Internal Drive - $80.49 + $7.61 (Sata cable) = $88.1

It's good.. rly good. But my God, why do you need all that storage?! xD

The blood on to your heart start pumping faster when you notice me.

But is ok.

Judge me for my nickname, my avatar and for the low amounts of posts I have. I will keep your heart beat raised.

To be dead honest this is a question you should have asked before you bough it, lol

Java Programmer, AMD Fanboy and soon to be casemodder

To be dead honest this is a question you should have asked before you bough it, lol

I completely agree, except I never thought I'd ever be upgrading my entire rig.

It just.... happened.

It's good.. rly good. But my God, why do you need all that storage?! xD

3TB for anime

2TB for games

2TB for movies

1TB to just boot up from

A small SSD would be my first upgarde, something like a Crucial MX100 128GB or Samsung 840 Evo 120GB, but otherwise pretty good.

Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz | Evga GTX 780 Ti SC ACX with backplate | MSI Gaming 9 AC | 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance Pro Silver 2400 MHz | Corsair H105 128GB Crucial MX100 | Toshiba 2TB | Evga 750G2 | Corsair Obsidian 750d | Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 PWM (3x140mm & 3x120mm)

3TB for anime

2TB for games

2TB for movies

1TB to just boot up from

I have one 1.5TB HDD I'm not even using 200GB...

A small SSD would be my first upgarde, something like a Crucial MX100 128GB or Samsung 840 Evo 120GB, but otherwise pretty good.

I dunno... I heard extremely great things about SSD's but I'm not sure if I wanna pour more money into this build unless I need to.

But then again, I already spent this much so why shouldn't I go the extra mile?

HRMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I dunno... I heard extremely great things about SSD's but I'm not sure if I wanna pour more money into this build unless I need to.

HRMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Get the MX100 256 or 512GB model. Great value for money.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

HRMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Believe me you will notice the difference, I am really pleased with my Crucial MX100 plus the 128Gb and 256GB aren't that expensive.

Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz | Evga GTX 780 Ti SC ACX with backplate | MSI Gaming 9 AC | 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance Pro Silver 2400 MHz | Corsair H105 128GB Crucial MX100 | Toshiba 2TB | Evga 750G2 | Corsair Obsidian 750d | Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 PWM (3x140mm & 3x120mm)

HRMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

With an SSD is like x10 faster that your HDD but since you have this great rig, is still ok, please don't let 13 yrs old kids to confuse you, the rig is good, is perfect :) Maybe on christmas you can afford an ssd, but don't worry much about for now, but be sure you will buy one. It's a great rig, and it will run whatever you throw at him. So stop asking this kind of things, cuz most ppl dnt know much and they will confuse you. Now this is $1k? in 6 months it will be $500, that's how tech works, don't feel bad about, you will have it for at least 6years. ;) njoy it.

But is ok.

Judge me for my nickname, my avatar and for the low amounts of posts I have. I will keep your heart beat raised.

It's great having all that storage for your animes and movies.

Change that 1tb boot drive to a 120gb SSD and just install the OS and a few drivers here and there on it, you'll boot up in no time. OR you could get a 240/250gb SSD like the 840 EVO or something and have a few games on there and any programs that would benefit from read and write speeds.

With an SSD is like x10 faster that your HDD but since you have this great rig, is still ok, please don't let 13 yrs old kids to confuse you, the rig is good, is perfect :) Maybe on christmas you can afford an ssd, but don't worry much about for now, but be sure you will buy one. It's a great rig, and it will run whatever you throw at him. So stop asking this kind of things, cuz most ppl dnt know much and they will confuse you. Now this is $1k? in 6 months it will be $500, that's how tech works, don't feel bad about, you will have it for at least 6years. ;) njoy it.

Suddenly I don't feel as bad. Thx for the feedback, mate.

I just hope ebay keeps prices low enough for me to buy an SSD. Think I'll just buy one used

It's great having all that storage for your animes and movies.

Change that 1tb boot drive to a 120gb SSD and just install the OS and a few drivers here and there on it, you'll boot up in no time. OR you could get a 240/250gb SSD like the 840 EVO or something and have a few games on there and any programs that would benefit from read and write speeds.

Wow, you're like the fifth person to recommend me an SSD upgrade.

You guys sold me. I'll probably buy a 512GB SSD on ebay or something. Hope I can get some cheap stuff there.

2TB for movies

Yessss, I see ;)]

Anyway, I have a MX100 as well, and boy, I cannot sit down as quickly as my PC turns on, and it is nothing special.

And so does turning off is rapid too

Suddenly I don't feel as bad. Thx for the feedback, mate.

I just hope ebay keeps prices low enough for me to buy an SSD. Think I'll just buy one used

NO! Never buy a used SSD ...pls don't. Save some money till christmas or after. but buy a new1 with 3-5 years warranty.

But is ok.

The way I see it It's pretty good for the price. a lot of storage though LOL 

CPU: I5 7400 | Motherboard: MSI H110M  | RAM: 16GB G-Skill 2400mhz  | GPU:  NVIDIA  MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970 | Case: Tecware Quad | Cooling: Stock| Storage: Kingston 120gb SSD, 1TB Drive ,  | PSU: Seasonic 620 Watt 80+ Bronze Full Modular | Display: Devant 50 Inch Smart TV   | 

to answer your question:

Do you game often on it?

If you do and it is sufficient for you, then yes, it is worth it

if you do not then it is an expensive hobby

Wow, you're like the fifth person to recommend me an SSD upgrade.

You guys sold me. I'll probably buy a 512GB SSD on ebay or something. Hope I can get some cheap stuff there.

People who've never had an SSD don't notice it but when you get it it'll make the world of difference.

NO! Never buy a used SSD ...pls don't. Save some money till christmas or after. but buy a new1 with 3-5 years warranty.

Don't ever get a used SSD like said above. Get a new one even on offer check all the local shops, daily deals etc etc Amazon too, buy a new one get the warranty and if it's dead on arrival then you can get an easy swap. You buy a used SSD you have no idea what'll happen when you install it. Always go new for SSD. They really aren't that expensive anymore. Set a budget for it and buy the best one you can find for that budget. SSDs only get expensive really now when you git the 1tb range but for a boot drive 120GB is more than enough, if you want a few games and keeping things on separate drives then keep them on your HDD and save again for a few big SSDs or just have big games on them like Skyrim or something, it'll cut loading times by a lot.

Is it worth it? That is up to you. Is it a reasonable price for all the upgrades? Yeah it is fine. Hardware is expensive so it is what it is. You could have saved a few bucks here and there but nothing major really. Was a little surprised to see the 7970 though. Did you buy it a while ago?

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I have one 1.5TB HDD I'm not even using 200GB...

Bahaha, I have 16TB, I am using 12TB^^

and a 7970 is a little pricey, you can have a new Gigabyte 290 for that price

Bahaha, I have 16TB, I am using 12TB^^

and a 7970 is a little pricey, you can have a new Gigabyte 290 for that price

Cute :P

J6MzND9.png

As everyone has already mentioned, an SSD is an excellent upgrade.

In my opinion, you did great and I'd say the price you paid is very fair, good job!

TRUST ME WHEN I SAY, if you try booting with an SSD, you'll never want a HDD again and you'll wonder why HDD ever made it to the market shelves.