Is PC Gaming really the best?

Guest Console Peasant

Hello forums users, lets start with some information about me, i've been a PC exclusive gamer since 2011 (I was 12 at the time) and have never bought a console ever since.

People say the PC has better graphics and you can build a PC that outperforms the PS4 at the same price, that's wrong.

It's called optimisation. consoles get exclusive optimization for every game that releases, meanwhile on PC if it's a bad port you either play at a crappy framerate or have a monster cpu/gpu.

Gta 4, Wolfenstein, and Saints Row 2, and Minecraft are the ones that have affected me, and will affect many more.

Pc specs:

Fx 4300

r9 270x (fc)

12gb ddr3

asrock 960

-mid range

My computer can run Crysis 3 multiplayer (although some settings are off) at a playable framerate, meanwhile, I can't keep Minecraft to run at 60fps in single and multiplayer, i've tried different java versions, optifine, more allocated ram etc. It's just bad optimization or i'm missing something huge.

Wolfenstein: TNO Runs like balls too, and on PS4 runs at (Edit: Appearently around medium at 30fps). Meanwhile with my Pc master race rig I cannot run the game at low without fps loss.

GTA4 and SR2 go hand in hand too.

Pc does have the greatest fps, resolution, and controls but you must either get a really good PC straight up or suffer the consequences. (take note that a huge investment will be payed of via steam sales etc.)

Bit of a rant there but what do you think? On my PC in a lot of games I get FPS drops which pisses me off and makes me not want to play, thanks.

Recent minecraft updates have tanked fps. It has nothing to do with optimization for the console vs PC.

Wolfenstein runs 30fps, around medium settings, with no aa on ps4. 

my bad, i didnt research that. Still the point applies :P

Well you might not be able to beat a PS4 in price in the short term (Though a $550-600 can straight up demolish it) but you also must not forget the flexibility and utility a pc brings. Aside from productivity for which the PC is vastly superior of course you must take a few things into consideration. You can tweak video settings to have a higher framerate if you need/desire it or the opposite if it's single player (Where fps is not AS important but that is of course preference) and the PC also has G2A, G2play, Steam and various things like that giving you games at a MUCH MUCH lower price than a PS4. For instance, I pre-ordered Titanfall for €30 and I can get a AAA title like Shadow of Mordor for €30-35 too. Try to get good titles like those (Don't start a discussion about this) for €30 on the PS4 (And I'm talking new, not used). Impossible. In the long term a PC is just straight up so much better than a PS4 unless the exclusives on said consoles appeal to you more.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

my bad, i didnt research that. Still the point applies :P

That the game is poorly optimized, and you have a system that isn't meant for ultra 1080p 60fps gameplay? 

Most if not all games o consoles run close to 30 fps so its not really 60fps as you say.  There are a few that actually run at 60 fps.

Well you might not be able to beat a PS4 in price in the short term (Though a $550-600 can straight up demolish it) but you also must not forget the flexibility and utility a pc brings. Aside from productivity for which the PC is vastly superior of course you must take a few things into consideration. You can tweak video settings to have a higher framerate if you need/desire it or the opposite if it's single player (Where fps is not AS important but that is of course preference) and the PC also has G2A, G2play, Steam and various things like that giving you games at a MUCH MUCH lower price than a PS4. For instance, I pre-ordered Titanfall for €30 and I can get a AAA title like Shadow of Mordor for €30-35 too. Try to get good titles like those (Don't start a discussion about this) for €30 on the PS4 (And I'm talking new, not used). Impossible. In the long term a PC is just straight up so much better than a PS4 unless the exclusives on said consoles appeal to you more.

I agree, I just hate the issues with Pc with late games, crap ports and other bad stoof.

Recent minecraft updates have tanked fps. It has nothing to do with optimization for the console vs PC.

Minecraft is made in java, java is shit for what minecraft is. If they could just (lol, if they could just) do an overhaul and changing language (To C# for instance) then the performance will be vastly improved. Also note that minecraft hates newer hardware and Vsync. My GTX 970 and I5-2400 with 8GB allocated RAM give me "only" 240 fps in minecraft. I would expect a lot more considering the power I have here. My friend with an I3 and GTX 660Ti gets 500 Fps in minecraft

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Also consoles are meant for 720 which a r7 270x would handle greatly if you have a 720 p monitor

You probably don't see the bright side because your rig is somewhat...poo. You might need to upgrade, yes the initial cost of a pc is higher but when you take into account years of psn subscription that already doubles cost of the console. That being said games are always more expensive on console. All you need is a better pc to see the light. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

I agree, I just hate the issues with Pc with late games, crap ports and other bad stoof.

Such a shame with FF XIII. It still looks good at 720P, don't get me wrong but we are talking about a platform that can have GTX Titans and GTX 980's and R9 290X's as GPU's. I would have at least liked to have seen a 1080/1440p option with a 60fps limit as opposed to 30.

Of course you can build a PC better than PS4 for the same price. A dev making a crappy port means nothing apart from you avoid that dev. 

I can avoid the dev but I want to play Minecraft, Wolfenstein, gta 4 and other games.

and minecraft is a very cpu reliant game.

Java Programmer, AMD Fanboy and soon to be casemodder

That the game is poorly optimized, and you have a system that isn't meant for ultra 1080p 60fps gameplay? 

Poorly optimized? The game runs at rediculous frame rates if I uncap it. And I don't believe for a second that the game runs somewhere around medium on ps4. Unless I hear statements like that from the dev it's undoubtedly bullshit. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

That's true, but before the update, it would tank to 30 fps for a while and back up for no reason.

and minecraft is a very cpu reliant game.

Would putting a decently heavy overclock on my cpu help that?

Poorly optimized? The game runs at rediculous frame rates if I uncap it. And I don't believe for a second that the game runs somewhere around medium on ps4. Unless I hear statements like that from the dev it's undoubtedly bullshit. 

Yes, and you can clearly run crysis 3 in 8k 60fps on a radeon 7950. The game looks exactly as if you turned off any form of anti aliasing, and turned it to medium settings. The game is, or was when I last attempted to play it, horribly optimized, going to the point of dropping frames every other minute or so. 

I can avoid the dev but I want to play Minecraft, Wolfenstein, gta 4 and other games.

One of those isn't available on the PS4. 

If you spent the cost of a PS4 on upgrading your system, Minecraft and Wolfenstein would look a lot better than on a PS4.

Would putting a decently heavy overclock on my cpu help that?

na, just don't fell bad about not being able to run it at expected frames.

Java Programmer, AMD Fanboy and soon to be casemodder

Consoles are reason we have bad ports, exclusive content,...

Consoles could be just PCs , but corporations need moar $ . $

PC can provide console experience and much more

Future is open standard. At least should be. Play minecraft 2 on any machine.

Is PC gaming really the best? Yes.

It's not that much more expensive either. $59.99 is the price point console games stick at more than PC games. Then there is the peasant tax, they need to pay a fee for every month if they want to play online.
Consoles target mass consumers. Whenever a business makes a mass market product, they make it so that even the dumbest person can use or rather buy their product.
This typically limits products below what the average user can handle. Majority of consoles is purchased by someone else than rather than the end user.
Mom/dad/uncle/grandpa buy most consoles, the competing for their attention by console makers becomes a race to the bottom just to get their attention. 

Adults buy consoles for themselves too but majority are purchased by adults for kids. It just doesn't feel right for me to go and buy for myself the very same thing my sister bought for her daughter.

There is another myth that I would like to use this opportunity to debunk: "Consoles are optimized and have powerful hardware"

Now, the hardware uniformity does allow for easier programming and it does allow the devs to squeeze most out of the hardware. However, it cannot make a Titan out of a 650ti. Not even close.

The consoles are restricted by their form factor. The hardware and it's thermal characteristics have to suffer because of the size expectations consoles must meet. 

When xbox360 launched, it's GPU was the equivalent of a 7800GTX, which was a high end PC GPU at the time. Both consoles had good hardware for that time.

However, the hardware was pushed to it's thermal limits due to console size constraints, RROD &YLOD were the result. This time around, they went with rather weak hardware.

Both consoles feature the equivalent of a Radeon 7770. People often say that Microsoft and Sony are selling consoles with razor thin margins or at a loss which is complete BS.

You or me can go and build a equivalent PC for the money. Now imagine how much the console makers actually pay for the hardware, these business order millions of parts at bulk prices, without middlemen fees that you or me, typical consumers usually pay.

To make it a fair comparison, building a PC on a budget has to be done reusing existing parts (an old case for example) and buying used parts that don't have to be new (a power supply or a mobo for example.

If one is willing they can reuse old parts and buy used parts from reputable PC forums and assemble a very cost effective PC.

3 years ago I built a PC like that because I had financial priorities elsewhere. What made it even sweeter is that GPU almost paid itself off with bitcoin mining. I could have replaced it recently but it withstands aging phenomenally, even passing the Ryse test  so I'm holding off and increasing the budget to build a full fledged gaming rig once again down the road when 4K becomes more mainstream.

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?