New 280 Strix stays on VGA led

Power

So at the end of august, I rma'd the XFX Radeon HD 7950 because the fan was broken, the reseller sent me an ASUS 280 Strix as replacement after xfx didnt do anything with my card for a month.

I installed the card, but the motherboard does not go past the VGA led. The power connectors are plugged in correctly, LEDs on the gpu confirm. The gpu's fans spin.

I have already updated the bios, reset the motherboard setup to default optimized, I tried using another PCIE slot.

What should I do? I find it very strange that the 280 does not boot, itsn't the 280 a rebranded 7950 after all?

I also don't have another system to test the gpu in.

System in sig.

Intel Core i5 4670k 》Asus Z87 GRYPHON 》8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz

Asus R9 280 STRIX 3GB》Samsung 840EVO 250gb 》Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Corsair GS 800W 》Corsair 350D Case 》Corsair Hydro H110

Well, yeah. Something is not right. Perhaps you can clear the CMOS? Also try reseating the card. If all fails, perhaps it's time to return that as well.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

Thanks for the help but I just got back from pulling the cmos battery out, reseating the gpu a couple of times again. The system boots with the iGPU, which I've been using for the month while the gpu was in RMA. I also tried using the included 2x6pin to 8pin PCI adapter instead of my PSU's 6+2pin PCI cable. My previous card had a 6+6pin instead of a 6+8pin power connector though. Still stuck on VGA led.

My friends 7870 xt did the exact same thing.

The fans spinned and all but there was no image. The onboard GPU worked fine though.

He took it to the shop and they tested it on their test rig and the card worked. And the loan card the shop gave also worked in his PC.

I think he just got it back, so I don't know if it now works on his PC too.

Truly mysterious these things.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Thanks for the help but I just got back from pulling the cmos battery out, reseating the gpu a couple of times again. The system boots with the iGPU, which I've been using for the month while the gpu was in RMA. I also tried using the included 2x6pin to 8pin PCI adapter instead of my PSU's 6+2pin PCI cable. My previous card had a 6+6pin instead of a 6+8pin power connector though. Still stuck on VGA led.

my oh my , maybe the psu is the problem . have you tried changing the port in the back that you're using , instead of hdmi try vga or displayport or dvi  or vice versa 

I'm usually on DVI, I tried VGA and HDMI but it's still stuck at the VGA_LED. I dont think the PSU would be the problem.

My friends 7870 xt did the exact same thing.
The fans spinned and all but there was no image. The onboard GPU worked fine though.
He took it to the shop and they tested it on their test rig and the card worked. And the loan card the shop gave also worked in his PC.
I think he just got it back, so I don't know if it now works on his PC too.
Truly mysterious these things.

Did any other gpu ever work in his system?

I'm usually on DVI, I tried VGA and HDMI but it's still stuck at the VGA_LED. I dont think the PSU would be the problem.

Did any other gpu ever work in his system?

My post does say that the loan card did work. It was 4870 I think.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum