Will the FX6300 bottleneck a R9 280X?

Hello!

I'm doing my first build next week and just have a question about some of the parts I ordered. A friend of mine recommended the FX 6300 because it is a cheap, reliable, over-clockable CPU which he said would be perfect for my budget ($600 for the entire PC). So I took his word for it and ordered it, pretty confidently. Next, I spent the bulk of my budget on my GPU (Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X) and was really happy with the deal I got (considering the AMD cards prices just got cut). 

After I ordered these parts, I was reading a few articles online that said the FX 6300 wouldn't be a good pair with the R9 280+ series because it can bottle neck it. The site I was on said an FX8350+ would be a better fit. As I stated above however, that extra $70 for that CPU would destroy my budget. 

So here is my overall question, will the FX6300 (Not overclocked) bottleneck my R9 280X?

-- Thanks!

on mantle no but normally a little once dx 12 drops no 

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Yes & FX8350 will bottleneck it too.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

It really depends on the applications that your doing. It would bottleneck in some applications while others won't. You can overclock the cpu to minimize the bottlenecking between the cpu and gpu. 

WHat games are you looking to play?

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

It really depends on the applications that your doing. It would bottleneck in some applications while others won't. You can overclock the cpu to minimize the bottlenecking between the cpu and gpu. 

If I overclocked it, I would need a aftermarket CPU cooler right? If so, do you got any recommendations?

Compared to 4690K by about 15-20% I would say.

Interested in Business and Technology

If I overclocked it, I would need a aftermarket CPU cooler right? If so, do you got any recommendations?

Entry: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Medium: Corsair H80i, NZXT Kraken X41

High: Corsair H100i, NZXT Kraken X61, Swiftech H220X 

Yes & FX8350 will bottleneck it too.

You're special! LoL. Never heard of an 8350 to bottleneck a 7970/R280x Is the most popular combo. WTF are you talking about?! v.v

Cry Me A River B)

Entry: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Medium: Corsair H80i, NZXT Kraken X41

High: Corsair H100i, NZXT Kraken X61, Swiftech H220X 

Thank you!

well i think if my fx 6300 doesnt bottleneck a R9 290 then i think that if you slightly overclock the chip to like 4.2Ghz+ then there would be no issue. i would recommend a aftermarket cooler but i would say either a noctua or dark rock 3 cooler as that will keep the temps down and will be quiet

Spoiler

CPU: i5-6600k MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2800Mhz 15-15-15-35, GPU: Sapphire R9 290 SSD: Samsung 840 250GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2, Cooling: EK supremecy EVO ,EK-FC R9 290X with backplate, XSPC EX240 Crossflow & Alphacool UT60 240mm, XSPC D5 Bayres w/ Alphacool VPP655, 7/16-5/8 Compressions/Tubing, Noctua NF-F12 x4 PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 http://valid.x86.fr/8g2m02

WHat games are you looking to play?

Primarily BF4/Civ5

I also like some Mobas, WoW, Etc...

Hello!

I'm doing my first build next week and just have a question about some of the parts I ordered. A friend of mine recommended the FX 6300 because it is a cheap, reliable, over-clockable CPU which he said would be perfect for my budget ($600 for the entire PC). So I took his word for it and ordered it, pretty confidently. Next, I spent the bulk of my budget on my GPU (Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X) and was really happy with the deal I got (considering the AMD cards prices just got cut). 

After I ordered these parts, I was reading a few articles online that said the FX 6300 wouldn't be a good pair with the R9 280+ series because it can bottle neck it. The site I was on said an FX8350+ would be a better fit. As I stated above however, that extra $70 for that CPU would destroy my budget. 

So here is my overall question, will the FX6300 (Not overclocked) bottleneck my R9 280X?

-- Thanks!

I'm not sure about your build, but here is a cheap one.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($69.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: Mushkin Stealth 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($65.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($58.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($53.98 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($156.00 @ Newegg)

Case: Zalman Z11 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $589.92

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-10 17:08 EDT-0400

Cry Me A River B)

Primarily BF4/Civ5

I also like some Mobas, WoW, Etc...

In WoW you are going to bottleneck pretty bad. 

Honestly, if at all possible, you should return the FX6.  Its a dead socket and it will limit you in the games you can play.

Your best solution for a budget rig is a G3258 + Z97 motherboard.  It only costs $100 for the pair.  Once overclocked, the G3258 will perform incredibly well in almost all games, the exception being Watch Dogs.  Also, when you do get more money, you can upgrade to an i5/i7 which will greatly improve your performance.  Going from an FX6 to an FX8 won't yield results that justify the cost.  At any price point, the better option for gaming is Intel.  I know it is not what you want to hear, but it is in your best interest to return the FX processor and motherboard and go Intel.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I'm not sure about your build, but here is a cheap one.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: Mushkin Stealth 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($65.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($58.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.98 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($156.00 @ Newegg)

Case: Zalman Z11 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $589.92

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-10 17:08 EDT-0400

Unfortunately, I already purchased my parts. Very nice list though! I'm going to try and overclock the 6300 see what I can get out of it...

In WoW you are going to bottleneck pretty bad.

Honestly, if at all possible, you should return the FX6. Its a dead socket and it will limit you in the games you can play.

Your best solution for a budget rig is a G3258 + Z97 motherboard. It only costs $100 for the pair. Once overclocked, the G3258 will perform incredibly well in almost all games, the exception being Watch Dogs. Also, when you do get more money, you can upgrade to an i5/i7 which will greatly improve your performance. Going from an FX6 to an FX8 won't yield results that justify the cost. At any price point, the better option for gaming is Intel. I know it is not what you want to hear, but it is in your best interest to return the FX processor and motherboard and go Intel.

Yea, this was my plan anyway in the future. Just for the time being, do you recommend me trying to push the 6300 to like a 4.0ghz+ range?

well i think if my fx 6300 doesnt bottleneck a R9 290 then i think that if you slightly overclock the chip to like 4.2Ghz+ then there would be no issue. i would recommend a aftermarket cooler but i would say either a noctua or dark rock 3 cooler as that will keep the temps down and will be quiet

Thank you! I think I'm going to do this, only problem I'm using a MicroATX Motherboard, got any recommendations for CPU coolers that would fit it?

Yea, this was my plan anyway in the future. Just for the time being, do you recommend me trying to push the 6300 to like a 4.0ghz+ range?

No, even then it will still bottleneck.  Also, I see you are using a mATX motherboard.  They don't support AMD processors well, you will probably not even be able to overclock it because the VRMs are extremely limited.  This is not a problem with Intel processors.

Return the FX6 and buy the Pentium.  You will be so much happier in the long run, and end up spending less money.  If you were to buy the FX6, you would inevitably realize that you are bottlenecked and make the switch to Intel anyways.  Get the Pentium, overclock it.  The stock cooler is fine because it is just a 2 core processor, so it doesn't emit too much heat.  You can go to 1.35v easily.  When you get more money, then buy an i5.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Unfortunately, I already purchased my parts. Very nice list though! I'm going to try and overclock the 6300 see what I can get out of it...

Cancel it, you're not going to be able to play 25m raids properly with that CPU unless you think 15-20 fps is acceptable. Intel provides up to 100% more fps so I'd just avoid AMD at all costs.

No, even then it will still bottleneck.  Also, I see you are using a mATX motherboard.  They don't support AMD processors well, you will probably not even be able to overclock it because the VRMs are extremely limited.  This is not a problem with Intel processors.

Return the FX6 and buy the Pentium.  You will be so much happier in the long run, and end up spending less money.  If you were to buy the FX6, you would inevitably realize that you are bottlenecked and make the switch to Intel anyways.  Get the Pentium, overclock it.  The stock cooler is fine because it is just a 2 core processor, so it doesn't emit too much heat.  You can go to 1.35v easily.  When you get more money, then buy an i5.

Pentium? Isn't that thing like old as shit? I'm new to this kinda stuff so I'm not trying to offend you its just... I thought newer CPUs usually meant they were better (In most cases)?

Pentium? Isn't that thing like old as shit? I'm new to this kinda stuff so I'm not trying to offend you its just... I thought newer CPUs usually meant they were better (In most cases)?

Intel just released their new 20th anniversary Pentium.  It is a 2 core, unlocked processor.  It is amazing.  It is inexpensive, and it allows you to make future upgrades on the mATX form factor.  Games don't need many cores, they need strong cores. The only game that you won't be able to play with the Pentium is Watch Dogs.  Everything else, you can play just fine once overclocked.

If you live near a Microcenter, you can pick up a Pentium G3258 + Z97 motherboard for $99!  Newegg also has that bundle deal on sale, but not as often, and it sells out fast.  NCIXUS.com is in the middle of a price match weekend, so you could try contacting them and seeing if they would price match the Microcenter in-store price.

Nothing against AMD, I use and like the FX6300, but my i5 4690k is arriving in the mail today :) Its just the way that AMD makes their chips - the single core performance on them isn't the greatest, but by no means is it bad. I've been happy with mine until I added a 2nd GTX 770 into the mix, seems like it just isn't pushing them very hard. And as it has been said, AM3+ looks to be a fading socket and not much else will be coming out that will fit into it, with the Pentium you will for sure be able to upgrade to i5/i7 using the same board, or maybe even the new ones coming out in the near future!

If you can return it, I would. Not because its bad for the price, but for upgrading later because you WILL end up doing it when you come to that point you need more from your system, and its your CPU holding you back

Spoiler

Intel just released their new 20th anniversary Pentium. It is a 2 core, unlocked processor. It is amazing. It is inexpensive, and it allows you to make future upgrades on the mATX form factor. Games don't need many cores, they need strong cores. The only game that you won't be able to play with the Pentium is Watch Dogs. Everything else, you can play just fine once overclocked.

If you live near a Microcenter, you can pick up a Pentium G3258 + Z97 motherboard for $99! Newegg also has that bundle deal on sale, but not as often, and it sells out fast. NCIXUS.com is in the middle of a price match weekend, so you could try contacting them and seeing if they would price match the Microcenter in-store price.

I do live near a microcenter! Perhaps I should do this... Let me investigate a bit more. But regarding your comment "Games don't need many cores"

If games don't need many cores, why do companies such as Intel keep making CPUs with more cores such as the i7 5790k with like 8 cores? Shouldn't they just focus on making their cores more powerful like you just stated above?

Nothing against AMD, I use and like the FX6300, but my i5 4690k is arriving in the mail today :) Its just the way that AMD makes their chips - the single core performance on them isn't the greatest, but by no means is it bad. I've been happy with mine until I added a 2nd GTX 770 into the mix, seems like it just isn't pushing them very hard. And as it has been said, AM3+ looks to be a fading socket and not much else will be coming out that will fit into it, with the Pentium you will for sure be able to upgrade to i5/i7 using the same board, or maybe even the new ones coming out in the near future!

If you can return it, I would. Not because its bad for the price, but for upgrading later because you WILL end up doing it when you come to that point you need more from your system, and its your CPU holding you back

Good point, I'm definitely considering it now...

Alright then :D :D :D. 'njoy ;) .. and next time have more patience xD

Cry Me A River B)

The Pentium will most likely bottleneck the 280x as well. I would definitely recommend trying to save extra

$$$ and get an i5 so you wont have to buy a cpu down the road.