Samsung Galaxy Note One and CM11 nightly; will it run?

vt3c

Yeah. My new phone arrives in a few days. I'm getting it used from a friend who recently got a sexy note 3. I just want to know, how would Cyanogenmod11 Nightly run on it? Will it be like using iOS 6.1.6 on my 3GS where it lags and I can only have one app open at a time? Or will it be actually decent?

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

Anyone else read the title and think Samsung was following in Microsoft's footsteps? (Galaxy Note One)

/What other phones does CM11 officially recommend/support? (how does the hardware compare to that in the Note)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Yeah. My new phone arrives in a few days. I'm getting it used from a friend who recently got a sexy note 3. I just want to know, how would Cyanogenmod11 Nightly run on it? Will it be like using iOS 6.1.6 on my 3GS where it lags and I can only have one app open at a time? Or will it be actually decent?

CM11 runs pretty well on it, however keep in mind two things:

1. As much as Kitkat may be "optimized" for slower devices, running something older like CM10.1 (4.2.2) stable, even though you lose some newer features of Kitkat, is noticeably smoother, especially when multitasking

2. CyanogenMod breaks S-Pen functionality 

"Rawr XD"

Anyone else read the title and think Samsung was following in Microsoft's footsteps? (Galaxy Note One)

/What other phones does CM11 officially recommend/support? (how does the hardware compare to that in the Note)

They support many phones. But the Note 1 (n7000) is officially supported. The CM11 is in nightly currently, but a stable release will come soon based on what I've heard. But I'm fine with running 10.1.3 if 11 will lag it. 

I want to squeeze power out of this android. Anything to prevent it from becoming my poor 3GS.

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

1. As much as Kitkat may be "optimized" for slower devices, running something older like CM10.1 (4.2.2) stable, even though you lose some newer features of Kitkat, is noticeably smoother, especially when multitasking

2. CyanogenMod breaks S-Pen functionality 

I do not mind the S-pen functionality being busted at all. Original owner was running paranandroid on it and never used the S-pen. I'd like kit kat due to the security, but as long as Cm10.1.3 will run a million times faster, I'll sacrifice myself in the name of speed! 

where did you get this "fact" from?

They support many phones. But the Note 1 (n7000) is officially supported. The CM11 is in nightly currently, but a stable release will come soon based on what I've heard. But I'm fine with running 10.1.3 if 11 will lag it. 

I want to squeeze power out of this android. Anything to prevent it from becoming my poor 3GS.

might want to try to get a custom kernel for it, and maybe try to undervolt it for battery life.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

might want to try to get a custom kernel for it, and maybe try to undervolt it for battery life.

I'm getting a 4600mah battery anyhow when it gets here. I'm also going to give it a slight overclock like the previous owner had. He said that even with the overclock, he got 4 days on the standard battery. 

There will be no stable release of CM11. Only nightly snapshots.

where did you get this "fact" from?

From personally installing CM11 on a friend's original Galaxy Note?

I tried CM11 and it was really nice to use until you start multitasking and having many apps running in the background, which starts to slow down the phone. Flashed CM 10.1.3 and although in initial usage it felt the same, it stays smoother then CM11 as you start opening apps. Of course with the limited RAM of the phone multitasking many apps with any ROM will eventually slow down the phone, it's just that CM10.1 is smoother compared to CM11 after you start having programs run in the background.

"Rawr XD"

There will be no stable release of CM11. Only nightly snapshots.

I tried CM11 and it was really nice to use until you start multitasking and having many apps running in the background, which starts to slow down the phone. Flashed CM 10.1.3 and although in initial usage it felt the same, it stays smoother then CM11 as you start opening apps. Of course with the limited RAM of the phone multitasking many apps with any ROM will eventually slow down the phone, it's just that CM10.1 is smoother compared to CM11 after you start having programs run in the background.

Thank you for the information. 10.1.3 it will be!

have you ever thought it might be the fact that you were running an earlier version of cyanogenmod(4.4.4 is very smooth)? I have no idea how a less optimized OS that requires even more ram is somehow smoother. 

do you have ANY objective source that can confirm this?

have you ever thought it might be the fact that you were running an earlier version of cyanogenmod(4.4.4 is very smooth)? I have no idea how a less optimized OS that requires even more ram is somehow smoother. 

do you have ANY objective source that can confirm this?

It was Snapshot M9.

@vt3c

I would just try both. Find an day/afternoon you have nothing to do and download both 11 M10 and 10.1.3. Try one ROM first and use it for an hour or so doing your regular smartphone things, then switch to the other, do the same things, and see which one works better for you. It's your phone so it's up to you. When I was installing CM on my friend's Note I was using a Nexus 5 myself, so of course it was natural of me to feel more annoyed at even the slightest lags compared to someone coming from an iPhone 3GS.

"Rawr XD"

It was Snapshot M9.

@vt3c

I would just try both. Find an day/afternoon you have nothing to do and download both 11 M10 and 10.1.3. Try one ROM first and use it for an hour or so doing your regular smartphone things, then switch to the other, do the same things, and see which one works better for you. It's your phone so it's up to you. When I was installing CM on my friend's Note I was using a Nexus 5 myself, so of course it was natural of me to feel more annoyed at even the slightest lags compared to someone coming from an iPhone 3GS.

At this point, anything's better than my 3GS. I've done everything I could to make it do modern things and it just can't. 

I'd do anything to get this to do modern tasks and keep doing them from now on.