Low FPS in PlanetSide 2?

SwordfishDeCN_U

I have a FX 8350, 8 gigs of ram, and an R9 290. Playing PS2 gives me an average FPS of 30 in battles and I've even hit 15. I am using ultra preset with no vsync or fog shadows. Lowering shadow to low helped but not by much. Tried 32 bit client and had same results. Anyone know whats wrong? Thanks

I thinks it's FX8350. They had a lot of problems with AMD CPU's since launch. If you hit alt+f in game, you'll see the fps and either "CPU" or "GPU" indicating the limiting factor. Also disable smoothing since it is basically V-sync

Make sure V-sync is off, coz that will limit you to 30 for any sub 60 fps and 15 for any sub 30 fps (I'm assuming your screen is a 60Hz one)

Yeah I have a 60Hz 1080p monitor. I'll try disabling smoothing after I get home. I did notice on a few occasions the FPS counter with a blue CPU bracket.

I had a build that was pretty similar, an FX-8350 and a 7950 3gb. It's definitely the CPU. It was a shame because I loved that game to death but the FPS would seriously struggle a lot. 

I have a FX 8350, 8 gigs of ram, and an R9 290. Playing PS2 gives me an average FPS of 30 in battles and I've even hit 15. I am using ultra preset with no vsync or fog shadows. Lowering shadow to low helped but not by much. Tried 32 bit client and had same results. Anyone know whats wrong? Thanks

Large player count game = CPU bound and most of the work on our current API is done on 2 cores.

If you have Windows 7, unpark cores. 8 already does this, you only need it on 7 and it only effects like I7/8350 and maybe a 6300fx. Planetside 2 and Windows 7 for some reason will put threads to sleep in that game. BF4 this was an issue also which caused stuttering. 3 out of 8 of my threads were idle in that game until I unparked them and this was on a new Win 7 install and power settings were all correct (100 at max).

http://www.coderbag.com/Uploads/Unpark-CPU-App.zip

Run it, unpark cores, restart computer. Will not use more power or anything. Just a hitch with Win 7 in some games on some chips.

You can see if this is the problem before you do it, if you open task manager and the threads and then run the game for  awhile. If multiple threads are idle during gameplay, that was the problem. If they aren't and you are already on 8 or already have cores unparked on 7?

Overclocking the 8350 is the only way you are getting more FPS. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.