Help me out with my loop.

KWelz

I installed my water cooling loop tonight and ran into a couple problems.  However overall it seems to be working.  So I would just like to pose a few question to the experts.  

First off a quick photo.  

IMG_0039.jpg

Now a few things are obvious from the get go.  First off that I have a 360mm Rad with only two fans.   Sadly with this being a 60mm Radiator I discovered I don't quite have clearance for a fan above the VRM heatsink.  Is this any point of concern?   I realize I lose a bit of cooling potential but I can't see this being a problem outside of that.  

The overall plan is to add a 280mm Rad to the front along with a block for the 780ti.   This is why I ran the tubing the way I have.   Any other suggestions or advice for me?   

As far as I can tell I haven't done anything terribly wrong but feel free to correct me on that point.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Look pretty good to me though if possible I would run that tube on the left behind the mobo tray. The 2 fans should not be anything of concern.

Or do a right angle fitting to an aqua pipe on the top of the res. 

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

I installed my water cooling loop tonight and ran into a couple problems.  However overall it seems to be working.  So I would just like to pose a few question to the experts.  

As far as I can tell I haven't done anything terribly wrong but feel free to correct me on that point.  

great start, but yeah, some faux paux have been made for easy of use and

cooling.

for easier system bleeding, if you'd run the pump line out to CPU in and then

CPU out to rad and then radiator back to reservoir. as it stands now, any air

trapped in the CPU block cannot escape under any conditions.

that looks to be an old thermochill 360 (20mm fan mounting), i'd start to look for

a Alphacool XT45 360, EK XT 360 or XSPC RX360v3 to allow better advantage

for three fan cooling if you are looking to add the GPU and 240/280.

also, that jingway/Phobya/EK pump can handle a CPU/GPU loop pretty well, but

can leave you high and dry instantly. i'd opt for a D5 Laing for reliability.

The Rad is a Phobya.  I just got their Combo.  Figured it was the best way to start out.  I will rerun the loop when I get the GPU block and other Rad.  Should be here next week.  I wish I could find a 15mm thick fan or something to make work.  =\  Hah  oh well.  Thanks for the help.  

I also plan on switching to clear tubing and adding some Red Dye unless this is a bad idea for some reason.  In which case I will just use Red Tubing.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

@KWelz

first loop, use distilled water until you get the loop finalized. then you can bling

the dawg-crap outta the system till you are poor.

change that radiator or peeps will never help you out if there is a temp issue. you'll

be answering nonsense questions on "why only two fans?..blah. blah and it looks

unthought-out.

15mm fans will not solve the issue at all. no static pressure, noisy as empty

garbage cans with no performance to show for it.

Noted.  I will make the changes as I can.   Already spent enough on this to make the wife a little annoyed.   So will likely have to wait a month or so for the 45mm rad up top.   But I will get it planned.   

I really thought the 60MM would work.  Obviously I mis-measured.  =\

First off a quick photo.  

Now a few things are obvious from the get go.  First off that I have a 360mm Rad with only two fans.   Sadly with this being a 60mm Radiator I discovered I don't quite have clearance for a fan above the VRM heatsink.  Is this any point of concern?   I realize I lose a bit of cooling potential but I can't see this being a problem outside of that.  

The overall plan is to add a 280mm Rad to the front along with a block for the 780ti.   This is why I ran the tubing the way I have.   Any other suggestions or advice for me?   

That is a realy thick rad O.o

Needs Update

That is a realy thick rad O.o

That's what she said? 

I should note I only paid 200 shipped for the entire kit.  Rad, 3 fans (which I didn't use) pump, Res, tubing, fitting, coolant, etc, heck it even had a cutter for the tubing.    I figure even if I need to tweak it then it is hard to beat.  

That's what she said? 

I should note I only paid 200 shipped for the entire kit.  Rad, 3 fans (which I didn't use) pump, Res, tubing, fitting, coolant, etc, heck it even had a cutter for the tubing.    I figure even if I need to tweak it then it is hard to beat.  

nice i just ordered some stuff to but now i need to wait ans save up for the 240-x got EK 780 Waterblock , backplate , tubing and some compression fittings and some clear coolent Mix. Wish i could start my build but need to wait for the cash to get the 240x :(

Needs Update

Ok I have a few updates here.    Still waiting on the second Rad and GPU Block.  However I straitened out some of my tubing.  Also went ahead and ran the loop to include the VRM, because hey why not when the block is built into the board.  

So far I am getting Idle temps int he low 20Cs and the highest I have seen is 60C under full load at testing.  Average while gaming is around 40C.   

That is with it overclocked to 4.8Ghz at 1.3 Volts.  

New Fans are also in the works along with a Fan controller.   The plan is to have this build as silent as possible.  I even made the pump free floating to remove any noise from it.  

Overall I know it isn't perfect but so far I am pretty happy with it. 

IMG_0044.jpg

i think that if the -fill res pipe- went to the top of your reservoir instead of the bottom, then your loop would look much cleaner :)

CPU:  i7 5820k  @4.0Ghz Cooler: Thermaltake Nic C5 Motherboard: MSI X99A SLI PLUS  Ram: 8 gb @2133Mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 @1560  Case: Proprietary Sun Ultra 24  Storage: HyperX 120gb & 1 TB WD Green PSU: Cooler Master 550w 

A very good point. I would be concerned about noise at that point though. Willing to try it for sure.

First off a quick photo.  

IMG_0039.jpg

Answering the questions in the order you asked them.

1. The one less fan is not ideal but you will still cool your loop. With the extra fan you will see a little drop in temperatures but the two fans will work. Have you tried to put the fans on top the radiator in pull configuration and see if you can get all three fans installed or does the heatsink still create blockage?
  2. The coolant loss is normal for some people but i have to say that i hardly lose any coolant in my rig and seeing how thick your radiator is it could just be air being displaced from the radiator. Now if this just keeps happening to your loop i would check for leaks and ensure all plug ports are secured properly and not loose.
  3. Your loop looks fine to me, only suggestion is to use some monsoon silver bullets.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Answering the questions in the order you asked them.

1. The one less fan is not ideal but you will still cool your loop. With the extra fan you will see a little drop in temperatures but the two fans will work. Have you tried to put the fans on top the radiator in pull configuration and see if you can get all three fans installed or does the heatsink still create blockage?
  2. The coolant loss is normal for some people but i have to say that i hardly lose any coolant in my rig and seeing how thick your radiator is it could just be air being displaced from the radiator. Now if this just keeps happening to your loop i would check for leaks and ensure all plug ports are secured properly and not loose.
  3. Your loop looks fine to me, only suggestion is to use some monsoon silver bullets.

No way to make it work.  The Motherboard VRM heatsink blocks it no matter what you do.  Eventually I will pick up a 45mm Rad but for now this will be fine from what you all are telling me.  

Not sure what you meant by Coolant loss?   I was referring to just the loss of potential to cool the system since 1/3 of the Rad has no fan and just works passively. No leaks in the loop thankfully.  I did a 24 hour leak test and all seems fine. 

What is the point of the Silver bullet except to provide anti microbial properties?  I already have a silver Kill coil in the Res right were the main waterflow is.   Should I take other steps as well?  

Thanks everyone for the help.  I really do appreciate it.  

No way to make it work.  The Motherboard VRM heatsink blocks it no matter what you do.  Eventually I will pick up a 45mm Rad but for now this will be fine from what you all are telling me.  

Not sure what you meant by Coolant loss?   I was referring to just the loss of potential to cool the system since 1/3 of the Rad has no fan and just works passively. No leaks in the loop thankfully.  I did a 24 hour leak test and all seems fine. 

What is the point of the Silver bullet except to provide anti microbial properties?  I already have a silver Kill coil in the Res right were the main waterflow is.   Should I take other steps as well?  

Thanks everyone for the help.  I really do appreciate it.  

Yeah you are fine and there is no need for a 45mm radiator. Another thing you maybe able to do is use a round frame fan one the vacant slot of the radiator or better yet you could use a good 92mm fan with a 120mm fan adapter and that is 90% sure to work and is will be cheaper than a new radiator.

I made a fail.....The coolant loss was referring to another post on another site....sorry about that.

Yes the silver bullet is for anti-microbial properties and i did not know you have silver bullets. I don't see you needing to take any other steps because everything looks as it should be.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Thanks.   I actually tried an experiment and I am undecided on if I will keep it or not.  I took an extra SP120L I had and cut the the outer bezel.  Turns out if the fan is intaking air that the blades will just miss the VRM block.  So right now I have this hacked up fan intaking air in that spot just to see how things go.  If it works I will carefully mod a normal SP120 when I finalize my fans.