AMD please bring some competition

PcBlackBelt

umm.. yeah ;)

Not a true octocore and console are not going to last long as "ultimate gaming machine" as they're not even going to be remotetly close.

Not a true octocore and console are not going to last long as "ultimate gaming machine" as they're not even going to be remotetly close.

Read the title, yes PC's are better for customisation and preformance but the fact is, the majority of devs make games for console and port them over. And the new consoles are going to last long, the xbox 360 has been out for 8 years and us pc guys are still getting ports! The reason most games dont take advantage of more than 2 cores is because consoles have been holding them back. 8 core processors are the future, accept it.

Read the title, yes PC's are better for customisation and preformance but the fact is, the majority of devs make games for console and port them over. And the new consoles are going to last long, the xbox 360 has been out for 8 years and us pc guys are still getting ports! The reason most games dont take advantage of more than 2 cores is because consoles have been holding them back. 8 core processors are the future, accept it.

It's not because AMD say it's a octocore that it is, like I already said on the first page, Intel already had dodécacore for a long time with that logic.

It's not because AMD say it's a octocore that it is, like I already said on the first page, Intel already had dodécacore for a long time with that logic.

I have no idea what you just said but there arent any 8 core intel chips, only 8 threads (4 cores) which is quite different and not as fast (hyper threaded cores are around 20-30% faster than single cores) 

I have no idea what you just said but there arent any 8 core intel chips, only 8 threads (4 cores) which is quite different and not as fast (hyper threaded cores are around 20-30% faster than single cores) 

My point as Intel has max a hexacore, AMD had a hexacore, but only has quadcore ATM.

I don't know for the new generation but the one I know had AMD'S 4 core/flase 8 core tie to Intel quad non hypperthreaded core.

From AMD's own video.

trust me bro i need and want more it realy doesnt matter if i was using it or not..  you think everyone that buys a ferrari goes over 160 everytime they hit the road...

if you build a system with enough graphics horsepower you will know what im talking about..

what im realy getting at is you need to spend a grand to get a justifiable upgrade from sandybridge... and they didnt bother too much with it as they would only make there previous work worth less valuable..

im not sure why you even get on tech sites if your not looking forward to the future. if amd doesnt compete in the computational sector the speeds slow way down.. im guessing your pretty young if you dont understand that. competition is great whether its baseball basketball football or technology. just look at the graphics card business.

What application exactly is it that is pushing your CPU to its limit? Oh, none? Haswell brought a little more power, improved power efficiency and increased connectivity among other things, why are you complaining?

Optimised for slow AMDs? :-p A hyperthreaded quad core, doesn't that basically count as an 8 core?

No it doesn't. cores are cores, and threads are threads. They do not equal eight cores. Not even close.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Intel makes server CPUs with eight cores.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

wow haswell is here and its not even close to impressive.. it seems we will have to wait for amd to catch up on performance before intel will give us anything special for under 1000 bucks... wow more sata ports... wow more usb3.0... i guess were gonna just sit in this under achieving rut unless sumone gets amd to get there ass in gear and stomp intel into the ground...

i guess intel is gonna milk this performance level for all its worth and just rename it every couple years.. as you can tell im a very sad panda.. i saved up enough to buy a new system and now im better off waisting my money on fast food and energy drinks..

Haswell wasn't supposed to be groundbreaking from CPU performance. How many times do I have to say this? It wasn't made to be groundbreaking for CPU performance. But they gained a whole lot on the iGPU side(which people actually use for QuickSync) and they also gained a lot of performance per watt.

Double post.

No it doesn't. cores are cores, and threads are threads. They do not equal eight cores. Not even close.

But windows sees each thread as a core, doesn't it?

Intel makes server CPUs with eight cores.

Have fun gaming on a server setup...

i feel like i'm being bated, but i'm honestly not sure.

no dude i just dont think giving up on progress as a means to save money or a business..

i just had my hopes up that haswell would've been a tad faster and cooler. instead they beefed up the on-chip graphics to compete with amd's apu's. if amd was releasing chips on par or better then intels cpu's we would have gotten better cpu performance and less graphics performance..

i wish they could have atleast tooken care of the heat spikes, i know the smaller they make the cpus the less area to transfer the heat to the cooling units but if your gonna release a K sku thats made to be overclocked they should be able manage to throw in some extra measures so the people that spend the money on the oc chips have more room to play with.(without hacking up your cpu and mess with thermal paste inside the chip voiding the warranty).

i realy thought the new chips would atleast get rid of the heat issue. maybe im asking to much but i know for a fact if amd was given them(intel) a better run for there money, i would have a new cpu being shipped to my residents with a smile on my face.

But windows sees each thread as a core, doesn't it?

Yes, but that doesn't make them cores. If you were to take a 3770K or 4770K and open CPU-Z, you'll get 4 cores/8 threads. If you do the same with an 8350, you get 8 cores/8 threads.

Jesus wept my head hurts after reading some of the shite in this thread.

1. AMD are not nearly bankrupt FFS. 

2. Money into R&D? how does both of the next gen consoles grab you, as well as AMD evolved which brought near on all of the big devs aboard AMD's ideal?

3. There is nothing wrong with Piledriver as it is it just needs better support.

4. If you thought AMD were going to compete at the high end again to topple Intel? you were mistaken. AMD have made press releases several times over the past few years (since it stopped its original FX line) to say that they weren't going to compete at the high end and would continue to just do what they do - IE -offer great value and good prices.

5. AMD have done this a couple of times before. If you don't know what I am talking about then do your research on 64 bit processors. They were first to market with X64 in the desktop and Intel said it was ridiculous. Here we are all of those years later, all running X64 cpus and operating systems.

6. Their Radeon cards are selling very well, so they're not about to just disappear. They also do very well (better than many realise !) out of their APU range given that Intel are not even competing when it comes to onboard GPU. The APU range are their bread and butter and far more of those sell than say an I5.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

the new apu seems impressive.  i think amd are focusing on the apu side of things for the moment.

CPU: i5 3570K @4.5GHz    GPU: R9 290   MOBO: ASUS p8z77-v  RAM: 8Gb corsair vengence   CASE: ARC MIDI  PSU: XFX pro 550W  HDD: 2tb segate baracuda

Yes, but that doesn't make them cores. If you were to take a 3770K or 4770K and open CPU-Z, you'll get 4 cores/8 threads. If you do the same with an 8350, you get 8 cores/8 threads.

Yes. And in multithreaded applications, the number of threads is what counts, right? So to all intents and purposes it is just like an 8-core?

Yes. And in multithreaded applications, the number of threads is what counts, right? So to all intents and purposes it is just like an 8-core?

No. It is not. It is a quad core with hyper-threading. If you have Intel's Xeon, that's an eight core. It also has hyper-threading, so it has 16 threads.

You forget that AMD doesn't have 8 core CPU yet.

Yes it does. FX 8350. Also, please don't tell me they're not eight cores. Because they are.

No because they're not 8 whole cores.

Yes it does. FX 8350. Also, please don't tell me they're not eight cores. Because they are.

if that's a new one then I'll check the diagram, if you have it.

Hyperthreaded 'cores' offer about 30% of the performance of a real core.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

if that's a new one then I'll check the diagram, if you have it.

This is the architecture.

post-7355-0-51389200-1370468101.jpg

post-7355-0-51389200-1370468101.jpg