AMD please bring some competition

PcBlackBelt

wow haswell is here and its not even close to impressive.. it seems we will have to wait for amd to catch up on performance before intel will give us anything special for under 1000 bucks... wow more sata ports... wow more usb3.0... i guess were gonna just sit in this under achieving rut unless sumone gets amd to get there ass in gear and stomp intel into the ground...

i guess intel is gonna milk this performance level for all its worth and just rename it every couple years.. as you can tell im a very sad panda.. i saved up enough to buy a new system and now im better off waisting my money on fast food and energy drinks..

Like you said don't count on AMD to give any reason for Intel to care but for gaming there's not any need for better CPU so Intel doesn't have any reason to increase the performance from that point of view either.

AMD just don't have the cash.

Unless they have a rabbit in their hat, I don't see AMD bringing Intel some competition any time soon on the CPU front.

APU's are neat but it's a market Intel does not want and is willing to give up.

im better off waisting my money on fast food and energy drinks..

Or a gym membership and some good running shoes :P

Due to the fact that the next generation consoles will be using AMD 8 core processors, means games will be more optimized for AMD... so unless Intel comes out with a CPU that has 8 cores, it will struggle with running nex-gen titles.

Due to the fact that the next generation consoles will be using AMD 8 core processors, means games will be more optimized for AMD... so unless Intel comes out with a CPU that has 8 cores, it will struggle with running nex-gen titles.

Do we know how they are divided yet?

This is going to be so much fun later.

I think this is AMD's best chance is a long time to pull out something big i just wonder if they have the resources to do it

The only difference between a politician and a criminal in patience . A criminal will try to take everything immediately where as a politician known to take it one small piece at a time

Optimised for slow AMDs? :-p A hyperthreaded quad core, doesn't that basically count as an 8 core?

Optimised for slow AMDs? :-p A hyperthreaded quad core, doesn't that basically count as an 8 core?

If you say that AMD as octocore than yes Intel also has octocore, even dodecacore with that logic.

Did they not have a real hexacore for what 250$ max? (1100T)

If you say that AMD as octocore than yes Intel also has octocore, even dodecacore with that logic.

Did they not have a real hexacore for what 250$ max? (1100T)

I think you lost me there...

I think you lost me there...

In short Intel tells you the number of complete cores on the box while AMD tells you the number of complete core combine to the number of incomplete core. That way AMD appear to be way more powerful than Intel for way cheaper fooling the not so techsavvy guy.

Second part is that since AMD had a true 6 core (Phenom II x6 1100T) for 200$-250$ there's no conceivable reason to say it's a good move.

Really, what did you expect? 10% improved performance, and more i/o.

This is how it has been with Intel in the last 4-5 years, ever since AMD started to lag behind, and quite honestly, I still think AMD is a long way away from Intel (sadly).

If Intel can milk the PC market for another 4-5 years with little to no competition, they'd be more than happy.

Lower costs, same price.

That's basically what happens in Monopolies.

Haswell will actually be very beneficial. Look at it from this point of view, enthusiasts like ourselves who the i5's and i7's are aimed at only makeup a small percentage of the market and a very small percentage of Intel's consumer base. Haswell is a low power optimized chip for mobile devices which are a booming market across the world. If Haswell mobile chips are as good as they are anticipated to be then Haswell will be a major benefit to mobile products because you've suddenly got CPU/GPU combos that consume half the power compared to anything else on the market. 

wow haswell is here and its not even close to impressive.. it seems we will have to wait for amd to catch up on performance before intel will give us anything special for under 1000 bucks... wow more sata ports... wow more usb3.0... i guess were gonna just sit in this under achieving rut unless sumone gets amd to get there ass in gear and stomp intel into the ground...

i guess intel is gonna milk this performance level for all its worth and just rename it every couple years.. as you can tell im a very sad panda.. i saved up enough to buy a new system and now im better off waisting my money on fast food and energy drinks..

lolwut?

so because a new architechure has come out zomg amd not impressive. what do you expect? for intel to magically throw a horrible product out there so everything is neck and neck again? what performance level exactly is this? any workstation user is using glorified servers anyway, so that can't count. and where is amd so far behind in exactly? 3 fps in bf3? c'mon.

you won't notice any real world difference and haswell is all about reducing power consumption. why are you surprised that intel uses less power? thats what this whole generation is about.

your right why would a company that makes cpu's put money into R&D to make better cpus to get there company out of nearly bankruptcy.. its not like if they produced a succesful cpu it would ring them in money and future business... sorry i just dont understand what your sayin is they throwing in the towel???

It's not like AMD can throw a massive amount of money into R&D, when they are nearly bankrupt.

your right why would a company that makes cpu's put money into R&D to make better cpus to get there company out of nearly bankruptcy.. its not like if they produced a succesful cpu it would ring them in money and future business... sorry i just dont understand what your sayin is they throwing in the towel???

Well, don't throw in the towel, but don't also spend a bunch of money they don't have.

What application exactly is it that is pushing your CPU to its limit? Oh, none? Haswell brought a little more power, improved power efficiency and increased connectivity among other things, why are you complaining?

I am surprised that AMD is still here with an operating income of around -1 billion dollars. Maybe it wasn't a smart idea to buy a thousand of their stocks...

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

i feel like i'm being bated, but i'm honestly not sure.

It's a catch 22, they need to do R&D but they don't have money, they don't have money because of the lack of performance due to a lack of R&D.

If AMD could combine FX series CPU cores with even HD7800 GPU cores to make a mid ranged APU they would make a killing, especially if they held their current pricing. The problem would be their very inefficient (high tdp) cores...

Have you seen their 8 core FX processors? Next gen consoles are both 8 core  AMD cpu's, AMD will have the advantage for gaming soon!

Have you seen their 8 core FX processors? Next gen consoles are both 8 core  AMD cpu's, AMD will have the advantage for gaming soon!

Nope and nope.