Please can I have some advice on DAC/AMP/AVR/Soundcard e.t.c. for connecting passive speakers to my PC.

BigDan1190

Hey all, sorry for the long title!

I'm looking to connect some passive bookshelf speakers to my PC, the set I have in mind is the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 set (in walnut). Just the speakers, no sub. I'm looking for a budget option if possible, but if more money = more quality then I can raise budget. I don't have a sound card, I will be using motherboard onboard audio (motherboard is Gigabyte Z68-ud3p if that makes a difference).

Not too sure what I need power wise, the speakers can handle 100w, so I was looking for something that can use their full potential at times, although I am in a fairly small room so fairly low volumes most of the time. It would be nice to pop it on loud in here so I can hear it well whilst i'm showering for example. Room layout;

1OJHsyV.jpg

Will be using the set up for a whole range of music, from old school hiphop, rock, metal, classic rock, indie rock, acoustic (think Andy McKee) and occasionally some melodical dubstep. Also gaming (FPS mainly, but some Elder Scrolls-esque games too).

Any advice much appreciated!

Cheers,

Dan

TL;DR - should I buy an amp, DAC, T-amp, AVR.... e.t.c. for my PC ---> passive speaker set up.

Eh, I actually thought the 9.1 means 10 speakers, lol.

Those things look easy to drive, so just get a stereo speaker amp. If you're on a budget, just get a Lepai LP2020a+. I got a review on my sig. It's cheap and certainly does the job well. After that, get an interconnect cable to plug your PC to the amp. The 2020 takes 2 types, mini stereo/3,5mm, and RCA. So you'd want to get either a 3.5mm to 3.5mm, or 3.5mm to RCA. Both can be found on amazon with low prices.

Thank you, I did come across that amp and did bookmark it but I was hoping to see if there were any more quality alternatives, perhaps with more power or EQ control.

Your review is great by the way!

Thank you, I did come across that amp and did bookmark it but I was hoping to see if there were any more quality alternatives, perhaps with more power or EQ control.

Your review is great by the way!

Yamaha's entry level AVRs have adjustable EQs, if that suits your needs.