GTX 770 SLI - Temperatures very different during benchmark

XxKINGxX40

Hey guys I was running Valley Benchmark, and the temperatures on my 2 770s were really different. Do you guys have any idea why?

IMG_20141006_162721_1.jpg

Both GPUs are water cooled.

Just in case, my water loop is this: Res -> Alphacool D5 Pump -> GTX 770 -> GTX 770 -> Alphacool XT45 140mm Rad -> i5-4690K CPU -> XSPC 360mm rad -> Alphacool UT60 240mm Rad -> Res

Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX | Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z270i | CPU Intel i7-7700K | RAM Team Vulcan 16GB DDR4 | GPU Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | Storage Crucial MX300 1TB M.2 | PSU Corsair RM750x

The hotter one seems to be running at a higher frequency

Maybe you got a better result in the silicon lottery on that one.

Compatible with Windows 95

The hotter one seems to be running at a higher frequency

Maybe you got a better result in the silicon lottery on that one.

65Mhz more. But it shouldn't make that much of a difference in temperature.

Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX | Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z270i | CPU Intel i7-7700K | RAM Team Vulcan 16GB DDR4 | GPU Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | Storage Crucial MX300 1TB M.2 | PSU Corsair RM750x

How close together are the cards sitting, and what case do you have?

Spoke too soon. That does seem odd. What does HWMonitor say?

With a loop like that the card shouldn't get that hot. I'd say theres something wrong with how the Waterblock is mounted.

What rpm is your pump running at?

How are you connecting the two GPU blocks serial or paralell?

On a sidenote: Usually your CPU should be first thing in the loop to get the cool water and then the GPU's it is also not necessary to put a rad inbetween the components (gpu - rad - cpu) this wont make a difference in temps since the water is flowing so fast.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

The real questions is, why did you water cool two 770's? i cri evry tim

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

One is running faster, and if it's second in the loop, then it's already gonna run warmer since it's getting "used" water from the other 770. Then it's gonna jack that up even more.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

How close together are the cards sitting, and what case do you have?

Spoke too soon. That does seem odd. What does HWMonitor say?

At idle, Both cards at around 25-27° During Valley, same temps.

With a loop like that the card shouldn't get that hot. I'd say theres something wrong with how the Waterblock is mounted.

What rpm is your pump running at?

How are you connecting the two GPU blocks serial or paralell?

On a sidenote: Usually your CPU should be first thing in the loop to get the cool water and then the GPU's it is also not necessary to put a rad inbetween the components (gpu - rad - cpu) this wont make a difference in temps since the water is flowing so fast.

At Idle, step 3: 3300 RPM, load, Step 5: 4800RPM. And Serial.

At Idle, step 3: 3300 RPM, load, Step 5: 4800RPM. And Serial.

Hmmm... in that case either the card is bad somehow or the block is not mounted correctly (But then the Idle temps should be different too). Cant think of anything else.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

If someone here who's adept in custom loops doesn't get back to you with a clear answer, you could try tweeting JayzTwoCents and ask him. He's super helpful sometimes if he has the time to spare.

If someone here who's adept in custom loops doesn't get back to you with a clear answer, you could try tweeting JayzTwoCents and ask him. He's super helpful sometimes if he has the time to spare.

Jay's a master at custom water loops. Did you see his Skunkworks PC? So awesome.

Jay's a master at custom water loops. Did you see his Skunkworks PC? So awesome.

Yes.

HHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGG

I think I responded to this on twitter, your Thermal Compound on the second card is improper. Remove, and I bet you will see only half the GPU IHS is covered with TIM. It never spread out. 

I think I responded to this on twitter, your Thermal Compound on the second card is improper. Remove, and I bet you will see only half the GPU IHS is covered with TIM. It never spread out. 

Yeah that was my tweet.

I did check the thermal compound. All good.

I mean the thermal compound is spread out properly. Not that the problem is fixed.

I mean the thermal compound is spread out properly. Not that the problem is fixed.

If you broke the contact, what did you repaste with?

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

If you broke the contact, what did you repaste with?

Broke the contact?

Broke the contact?

The thermal paste contact. If you opened it and checked that it was spread evenly, you should have repasted it, no?

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

The thermal paste contact. If you opened it and checked that it was spread evenly, you should have repasted it, no?

Yeah I did. I used the thermal paste the EK waterblock comes with. EK-TIM Ectotherm.