Upgrading Hard Drive... WD Blue 320GB OR WD Black 250GB ?

Dive5885

So i'm upgrading from my WD Green Drives I have.

I'm stuck on 2 choices.

WD Blue 320GB

OR

WD Black 250GB

My budget is tight so I can't afford to spend money on a 1TB Drive.

What would you guys pick?

Thanks for the help!

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

Do you do a lot of gaming?

I Play BF4 and Titanfall from time to time.

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

If your budget is so tight then why are you upgrading now? Is there any way for you to wait until you can afford a better one?

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Are we talking laptop drives? Because a 250 GB 3.5 inch HDD makes little sense at all.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

If your budget is so tight then why are you upgrading now? Is there any way for you to wait until you can afford a better one?

Yeah I can.

It's just the performance with the Greens is starting to drive me crazy..

Are we talking laptop drives? Because a 250 GB 3.5 inch HDD makes little sense at all.

Desktop

So i'm upgrading from my WD Green Drives I have.

I'm stuck on 2 choices.

WD Blue 320GB

OR

WD Black 250GB

My budget is tight so I can't afford to spend money on a 1TB Drive.

What would you guys pick?

Thanks for the help!

I don't know this information is true, but I have heard WD Black is more reliable then Blue.. Which Means If you change disk alot (I mean upgrade) then go with WD Blue.. Howerver, if you want to have stable drive then stick with WD Black.  

i dont get it . you 'upgrade' from 3 TB to 250gb?

anyway if you want windows on it get the black.but its noisy

Yeah I can.

It's just the performance with the Greens is starting to drive me crazy..

I recommend you wait until you can get a better drive, also what do you have now? It might make sense to upgrade to an SSD if you can wait to get the money.

As for the performance issue I think you should be asking for advice on how to speed up that drive, or drives. 

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

i dont get it . you 'upgrade' from 3 TB to 250gb?

anyway if you want windows on it get the black.but its noisy

Well that's 3 TB WD Green which is the slowest.

I don't mind losing space to get performance.

I recommend you wait until you can get a better drive, also what do you have now? It might make sense to upgrade to an SSD if you can wait to get the money.

As for the performance issue I think you should be asking for advice on how to speed up that drive, or drives. 

Right now I have WD Green 1TB and 2TB Hard drives and a WD Raptor which windows is only going to be installed on.

Well that's 3 TB WD Green which is the slowest.

I don't mind losing space to get performance.

going from 3TB to 320GB is a huge difference :D

I suggest you wait and get an SSHD

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

if the OS is on a raptor dont even bother the difference is small

if the OS is on a raptor dont even bother the difference is small

What do you mean ?

What do you mean ?

you already have a faster drive than the green you complain about. what do you want to do with the 250gb black?

@Drive5885

You know price doesn't really change between 320GB and 1TB.. (Least in seagate)..

you already have a faster drive than the green you complain about. what do you want to do with the 250gb black?

The Raptor is only for Windows and nothing else.

The Black would be for games and Files replacing the WD Greens I have.

The Raptor is only for Windows and nothing else.

The Black would be for games and Files replacing the WD Greens I have.

if its not for OS get the wd blue. or better a seagate barracuda

I'm not convinced it'll make much difference, you know. The green isn't particularly quick but the lower data density of a small HDD passing under the read head will cancel out the higher rotational speed etc. Also with a big drive you can do short-stroking. If you make a 250 GB partition on the first 250 GB of the disk, which physically resides on the very edge of the disk, all the data is close together which improves the performance to levels that may be even higher than that 250GB HDD will manage. You will get a slightly better access time with the higher rotational speed of the Black, but the performance difference will be minimal at best. If you're short on cash, I'd suggest you keep it.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Hi again, Dive

The WD Black drive is a really good choice for heavy gaming. Normally, I would advise you to get it, but in this case I would suggest two things.

Having a VelociRaptor, you should use it for the OS and your games, leaving the WD Green for the storage files. In this scenario you will get good gaming performance without a new purchase.

Your other option is to get the WD Black drive, but to put the OS on it and use the VelociRaptor for gaming. The WD Green can stay for storage.

I really think that you should make use of that high performance drive you are having. You should not get that WD Green out of your PC. If it is working properly, its capacity may be very useful.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/desktop/ - I leave you some general comparison between the WD internal drives.

Hope this helps

WD Representative

www.wdc.com/en/

Hi again, Dive

The WD Black drive is a really good choice for heavy gaming. Normally, I would advise you to get it, but in this case I would suggest two things.

Having a VelociRaptor, you should use it for the OS and your games, leaving the WD Green for the storage files. In this scenario you will get good gaming performance without a new purchase.

Your other option is to get the WD Black drive, but to put the OS on it and use the VelociRaptor for gaming. The WD Green can stay for storage.

I really think that you should make use of that high performance drive you are having. You should not get that WD Green out of your PC. If it is working properly, its capacity may be very useful.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/desktop/ - I leave you some general comparison between the WD internal drives.

Hope this helps

Thank you for the reply!

Well the Raptor that I got is only 74GB so I might be able to fit just one game or I might not be able to at all depending on how much space is left after the OS.

My main use for the Raptor was to only use it for windows and nothing else.

I still have my 2 WD Green drives so maybe I can use one HD for games only and one HD for files?

Not sure if that would help on performance but those are sorta my only options at this point.. 

I've just checked that, you have a point. In your case the 74 GB WD Raptor should be used as the OS drive, the WD Green for storage purposes and I would say that your gaming drive should be one WD Black, which really is the high performance drive and comes with longer warranty, compared with the WD Blue. Those 70GB you are going to lose can be compensated with your storage drives. If you reach a high number of games and run out of space, you can always rely on those WD Greens until you clear up.

WD Representative

www.wdc.com/en/

I've just checked that, you have a point. In your case the 74 GB WD Raptor should be used as the OS drive, the WD Green for storage purposes and I would say that your gaming drive should be one WD Black, which really is the high performance drive and comes with longer warranty, compared with the WD Blue. Those 70GB you are going to lose can be compensated with your storage drives. If you reach a high number of games and run out of space, you can always rely on those WD Greens until you clear up.

I don't really game that much , I do more productive work on the desktop then Game.

So I would have the setup like this :

WD Raptor - OS Only

WD Green - Games and Storage

and then when I have the money to upgrade this would be the new setup: 

WD Raptor - OS Only

WD Black - Games and Software

WD Green - Pictures , Videos , Etc...