Matchstick - The Streaming Stick Built on Firefox OS

Ethnod

So at the time of writing this Matchstick was over three times its goal at over $315,000 and climbing.

07b939f1817e1edb8b80123fdaccd34c_large.j

Matchstick is a Chromecast like device which is officially certified by Mozilla which will boast a good few apps for the device such as Netflix, HBO Go and Pandora already on board.

Looks good, I already have a Chromecast (still sitting in its box actually lol) so I doubt I’ll be getting this but looks interesting.

Anyone back the project?

Source:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/matchstick/matchstick-the-streaming-stick-built-on-firefox-os

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Why would anyone get this when the Chromecast is already out and has way more support?

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Why would anyone get this when the Chromecast is already out and has way more support?

because you don't have to give money to google

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

because you don't have to give money to google

Why buy a product that's worse than another at the same price? 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

because of what I said

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Did I read that correctly? Firefox OS?

Sounds interesting... Too bad it will never reach our part of the world (I mean really... Haven't seen Chromebooks or Chromecast sticks in the bigger shops yet and they're usually the first to get stuff like this...)

Oh God that voice. It's making my ears bleed.

The MatchStick seems pretty cool though. I really like that it's open source as well (please take note Google). The hardware is really good for the price as well. It's basically a Galaxy S 2 minus the phone part for 18 dollars.

The only thing that worries me is app compatibility.

i'll wait for Microsoft's thing.

although i probably wont even get that as i have no interest for TV

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Because anti-fanboyism. The "I'd rather give my money to a competitor with an inferior product just because for some reason I don't like your company" attitude so many people seem to have.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

For what it is, I actually really like it. Plus the ending of the kickstarter video was hilarious.

Also, the device is sub-$20, so why not?

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

because miracast

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

It's not about the app-support anymore with this if they can pull it out, luckily you would be able to do a lot more with this device and you wouldn't need the app to implement anything for you to watch the content anywhere. The project Mozilla started here aims to have a ton more features, as they bring an open project, where the community will expand the experience with plugins and more functionality. This is just basically like any other project Mozilla has kicked off, it's not about what you get out of the box, but what you can do with it.

Because this is cheaper, runs a real OS and has more powerful hardware.

This is basically a Chromecast on steroids, for less. App support is the only worry right now but it seems like all the most popular things are already there.