Need help with Physx in Dragon Age Origins with AMD graphics card

JackTheTurdious

Well, I bought Dragon Age Origins because it's on sale on Steam for 5 pound and my friend had recommended it before. So I bought it, did the download and launched it then I got faced with a error saying 'Error initializing PhysX' Then some link saying update the PhysX drivers. But obviously where I am using a Radeon 7950 I can't use PhysX. I ran into a problem like this with Metro: Last Light and I found some guide telling you how to turn it off and it worked and that was fine. But I looked up a similar guide for Dragon Age Origins and I can't find nothing other than people having this issue but they have Nvidia cards so the answers on the threads were to just re-install the driver and be done. So now, I come to you for help. To help me turn off the PhysX so that I can enjoy some good old Dragon Age.

-Jack

You can install PhysX even if you have an AMD card. It just means PhysX will run off your CPU rather than GPU, since you've got an AMD card.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

You can install PhysX even if you have an AMD card. It just means PhysX will run off your CPU rather than GPU, since you've got an AMD card.

But doesn't that hurt the performance quite alot?

But doesn't that hurt the performance quite alot?

It just has to be installed, i've got no issue maxing the game out on my old Phenom II chip. It shouldn't be a problem for you, looking at your hardware on your profile info.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

It just has to be installed, i've got no issue maxing the game out on my old Phenom II chip. It shouldn't be a problem for you, looking at your hardware on your profile info.

Okay, thanks man. I'll try it out

Dragon age Origins has Physx!? I've spent nearly 150hrs on that game and never noticed it had Physx...i'm clueless apparently. 

Running PhysX on a cpu would tank performance. This is fact.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Running PhysX on a cpu would tank performance. This is fact.

True, but we're also talking about a game that is 5 years old - if you have decent enough hardware, you might be able to get away with it.

True, but we're also talking about a game that is 5 years old - if you have decent enough hardware, you might be able to get away with it.

Mirror's edge is also 7 years old and I got around 3 fps with my overclocked I7 at 4 Ghz with Physx enabled.

Although it was the level where you had to get away from many enemies who were constantly crushing glass panes.

My System:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X - CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i Platinum - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-F - RAM: Neo 16 GB 3600 Mhz - GPU: 2x Sapphire Vapor X R9 290 OC in crossfire - OS SSD: Samsung Nvme SSD 256 GB Second SSD Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB - Games: RAID 0 3 x Seagate 1 TB HDD - Case: NZXT H710i - PSU: Corsair AX860i
Former Rig Picture: http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/10157-4-pc-may-2014/

I never had any issues running DA:O maxed with an AMD card, I didn't even know it had physx. Its an old game that's pretty easy to run.