AMD's answer to Nvidia's 970 and 980

Daniel91

I haven't seen AMD's 300 sereis cards but I'm starting to suspect the next line of cards AMD  cards are gonna be like the nvidia's lower TDP cards, the R9 285 got me thinking I suspect the 285 is like the 750/750Ti  that nvidia tested out in the 700 series.

Maybe the 300 series will be like the maxwell cards with lower TDP and better grapics conversion and better power to temp 

what do you guys think??

I hope I'm right since I do lie to see some compition between AMD and Nvidia

I haven't seen AMD's 300 sereis cards but I'm starting to suspect the next line of cards AMD  cards are gonna be like the nvidia's lower TDP cards, the R9 285 got me thinking I suspect the 285 is like the 750/750Ti  that nvidia tested out in the 700 series.

Maybe the 300 series will be like the maxwell cards with lower TDP and better grapics conversion and better power to temp 

what do you guys think??

I hope I'm right since I do lie to see some compition between AMD and Nvidia

all i know is AMD's next GPUs will be based on TSMC's 20nm nodes. I Imagine the 300 series will be even more efficient than the current 28nm maxwell, with a ton of horsepower

If the they're going to be built on the 20nm node like post above said, I'm super excited.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

All I care about is if the 390 is 550 AUD with butter-smooth gameplay @1080p, any game, any settings. 

I don't care much for a lower TDP because I have a 900 watt PSU lol. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

If the they're going to be built on the 20nm node like post above said, I'm super excited.

well maybe that's the reason why AMD is holding the 300 series release. early 2015 = TSMC 20nm. 

but that's pure speculation

all i know is AMD's next GPUs will be based on TSMC's 20nm nodes. I Imagine the 300 series will be even more efficient than the current 28nm maxwell, with a ton of horsepower

yeah that's what's I mean at the moment none of the 200 sereis cares can even compare the 970 in middle earth shadow of mordor

so I'm thinking the 300 series is ether gonna match the 980 or be even better

That will be interesting...

I imagine it to be something like the 285... A powerful card in a tiny package...

Imagine a 290x that's as small as a 250 reference...

yeah that's what's I mean at the moment none of the 200 sereis cares can even compare the 970 in middle earth shadow of mordor

so I'm thinking the 300 series is ether gonna match the 980 or be even better

in my head, AMD's 380x will be pitted against the 970 and 980. 390x vs gm210 (?)

I imagine it to be something like the 285... A powerful card in a tiny package...

290x as small as a 250 reference, oh yuy  :rolleyes:

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

AMD lower TDP?

HAHAHAHAHAHA nice one ;)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

oh be still my pumping heart

that text ;_;

CPU: Amd fx 8120 3.9ghz...Motherboard: Asus m5a97 evo R:2.0...RAM: 8gb 1600 kingston hyperx blu...GPU: XFX R9 280x ...CASE: Nzxt h440...

HDD: Kingston adata ssd 500 gigs, wd blue 500gb...PSU: Corsair gs700...Monitors: Asus vk222h Cooler: Noctua nh-d14...Keyboard:coolermaster masterkeys m...Mouse: logitech g300...Headphones: Logitech g430

AMD lower TDP?

HAHAHAHAHAHA nice one ;)

lol. 20nm nodes and updated architecture. are you seriously going to compare 20nm vs 28nm TDP and power consumption?

AMD lower TDP?

HAHAHAHAHAHA nice one ;)

lel, umad? wouldnt be surprised since they did it with the """new""" fx's

CPU: Amd fx 8120 3.9ghz...Motherboard: Asus m5a97 evo R:2.0...RAM: 8gb 1600 kingston hyperx blu...GPU: XFX R9 280x ...CASE: Nzxt h440...

HDD: Kingston adata ssd 500 gigs, wd blue 500gb...PSU: Corsair gs700...Monitors: Asus vk222h Cooler: Noctua nh-d14...Keyboard:coolermaster masterkeys m...Mouse: logitech g300...Headphones: Logitech g430

I remain skeptical. They would not be adding watercooling to the card if it is more efficient than maxwell. It's probably just going to be another high power consumption card which needs water cooling otherwise it'll catch fire like the 295x2. Have you ever felt the radiator of a 295x2 while looping heaven? That thing gets crazy hot.

lol. 20nm nodes and updated architecture. are you seriously going to compare 20nm vs 28nm TDP and power consumption?

By AMD's logic, they're going to cram as many transistors in there are possible to compete with nvidia. They give 0 shits about power consumption and temperatures.

But there is no chance their GPUs will use less power or create less heat than nvidia GPUs.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

lel, umad? wouldnt be surprised since they did it with the """new""" fx's

These 'new' fxs dont even exist yet. And wont for another couple years. y that time intel will be way ahead :P

Also their CPUs are very different from their GPUs, and I am talking about their graphics cards.

Spoiler

All I care about is if the 390 is 550 AUD with butter-smooth gameplay @1080p, any game, any settings. 

I don't care much for a lower TDP because I have a 900 watt PSU lol. 

The 290X can already do that, so the 390 better be good.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

I remain skeptical. They would not be adding watercooling to the card if it is more efficient than maxwell. It's probably just going to be another high power consumption card which needs water cooling otherwise it'll catch fire like the 295x2. Have you ever felt the radiator of a 295x2 while looping heaven? That thing gets crazy hot.

yeah the water cooler is giving me doubts already. 

By AMD's logic, they're going to cram as many transistors in there are possible to compete with nvidia. They give 0 shits about power consumption and temperatures.

But there is no chance their GPUs will use less power or create less heat than nvidia GPUs.

amd sure do love their stream processors ._.

AMD lower TDP?

HAHAHAHAHAHA nice one ;)

you might be surprised, the chance they use lower TDP for more OCing headroom wold be nice to match Nvidia

plus the theme  for PC parts has been evolving  so much into  better effecient parts

just look at AMD APU's lately and Intel's haswell sereis

I won't be suprised that AMD suddenly annouce a power effecent powerhouse that matches the 900 series

The 290X can already do that, so the 390 better be good.

But this variety gunna be the low fat type, with more creaminess!!! 

Wow, creaminess is a word?!?!!?

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

But this variety gunna be the low fat type, with more creaminess!!! 

Wow, creaminess is a word?!?!!?

Oh yeah.

what makes you think AMD would be stupid enough to not learn from their experince? with the 295X2