Would an old LGA 775 build be any good for anything?

I got an LGA 775 Mobo (Asus P5Q Pro), 4GB DDR2 800mhz and an Intel E7200

I'm also looking into some cheap used Intel Q9300, Q9400, Q9450's and I was wondering if this platform still any good for anything?

Would those 3 higher end CPU's be a complete waste with DDR2? (is it even compatible?)

If I do build something with these parts should I get more RAM?

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

I still think 7755 still make great gaming computers as long as they are not a bottleneck. I would get more RAM as well. 4GB will start to worry you if you have a lot of RAM intensive programs. 

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

according to some quick Googling online, the Q9450 is still about as good as a mid-range i5 but lacking the features of modern CPU's. Is that accurate?

Also, would it be any good for anything else besides gaming?

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

I have an Asus Maximus II Formula + C2Q X9650 + 4 × 2GB DDR2 RAM and I use it to play all sorts of games from Crysis 3 to BF4 to Bioshock Infinite...and use it from time to time to rip MP3s and movies. Ain't nothing lacking with it....from my point of view anyway.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Its still pretty good hardware. With quad core it will even game well. I had Q6600 powered system till year ago when I gave it to my parents to replace their P4.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Its still pretty good hardware. With quad core it will even game well. I had Q6600 powered system till year ago when I gave it to my parents to replace their P4.

I still got mine up and running and it works like a champ. I got nothing newer than a Q6600 in my house. Except for my i3 laptop, but that's a different story. My dad's computer even still runs an E4500.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I'm using my LGA775/ E8400 system for hosting my Minecraft/Teamspeak servers. Little home server really. Just got to finish the case to call it "built".

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

so options are gaming, gaming/chat server or home server..?

what else can this hardware still reasonably do?

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

What else does it need to do? There are a couple of us with QX9650s. Just got mine to 4ghz, plays most games pretty well. Got a 970 on the way. I'll be doing a write up of how the 9650 (paired with 8GB of DDR3) performs with a high end gpu on most high end games.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X | GPU: RTX 3080 FE | Board: x570 Aorus Master | RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ | Case: Phanteks 719

I personally think that no CPU is worthless. If you still have something like an i5-2500K or even something like a Core 2 Extreme, don't let anyone criticize you. They are still good CPUs and can still be used if you're more accustomed to a certain chipset/platform.

At least many games like Minecraft and League of Legends should run well on these...

kompooterz.

Grab a Xeon X5460/50 and do the LGA771 mod.

Basically a QX9650 for ~$35.

At 3.6GHz it'll perform quite well.

^  

This, rly! Best of it.. ;)

I quite like LGA775...

yVBfIBy.jpg

How do I know those ain't LGA 1155 or 1150 sockets?

Still have a core 2 duo system on 775 thats a basic home office pc for the kids to do homework on, it's not much good for anything else now, but thats probably to do with the fact it's still rocking that 2gb of ram =p. I'd say if it's all still working, then theres no reason why it wouldn't work as a small server a NAS or even a HTPC.

according to some quick Googling online, the Q9450 is still about as good as a mid-range i5 but lacking the features of modern CPU's. Is that accurate?

Also, would it be any good for anything else besides gaming?

i had a q9550 at 4.1ghz if you can overclock it its a beast trust me also get 8gb ram 2x4 make sure its a good ram like corsair get a 560ti or 550ti they are still good non over that will make a bottleneck, i had the biggest ever with q9550 with a gtx 770 make sure you dont do that also get an ssd

so far with the LGA 775, the NAS, gaming server and HTPC sounds like viable options for my use case.

but.., for gaming server do I need to have a beefy GPU to host gaming stuff? or will my old ASUS ATI Radeon HD4830 do? also, will my current little duo core be enough or will I need a Quad core to handle all those different applications.

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

so far with the LGA 775, the NAS, gaming server and HTPC sounds like viable options for my use case.

but.., for gaming server do I need to have a beefy GPU to host gaming stuff? or will my old ASUS ATI Radeon HD4830 do? also, will my current little duo core be enough or will I need a Quad core to handle all those different applications.

No, you don't need a GPU at all to host a server, as the graphics will be rendered on the clients. Just make sure that your internet is decent.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Server or a Steambox for your couch or something, I guess you could make a low-mid level gaming PC better than the ps3 or xbox 360.

No, you don't need a GPU at all to host a server, as the graphics will be rendered on the clients. Just make sure that your internet is decent.

I have Comcast, my service is terrible.

Also, would there be an advantage to putting my AverMedia Game Capture Card in this second machine or does it not provide anything. Would I need software to more easily monitor game recording/stream with webcam/audio and such?

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

You could use it to build a n.a.s. ( been lookingof what to do with my very old computer ) and I ran into that solution and there's a site call freenas where you can get the programe ( like it says it's freee ) or use it as a spare computer is another one I'm sure you'll find one that will fit your needs