Looking for a new smartphone

Cosmos_i7
Go to solution Solved by Cosmos_i7,

If only people would think like the way you do...

sadly, that'll never happen.

I honestly am not bothered what os a phone runs, if it's good I will buy it. What annoys me is when people say a phone is terrible just because it's Apple or Android. I'm not sure of any flagships which are terrible, some may have flaws but that is just the way it is. Just choose what is best for yourself and not worry about what everyone else has. 

Anyway I have ordered the OnePlus One, and I may look at the Nexus 6 in the future as it seems to have some killer specs going for it. But for now OnePlus One it is. 

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a new smartphone within the next month or so. I currently use a Nexus 5 which has started to fail on me with serious battery issues and other issues. My previous two phones were iPhones. I have been looking at a few different phones and each one has pros and cons but I need help deciding what's the best compromise. The phones I am looking at are the One Plus One, Oppo Find 7, Moto X, LG G3, iPhone 6 Plus and Nexus 6/X 

LG G3 has problems with screen brightness and battery life. Also overheating issues.

Oppo Find 7 has a unique skin which could take some time getting used to

One Plus One is what I am most convinced by but still not 100% sure also I need to somehow get an invite. 

Moto X lacks some high end features and does not have a decent battery.

iPhone 6 Plus is very good as a phone but it is quite expensive.

The Nexus 6/X has not been announced but it may have a 6 inch screen on it which I will not be a fan of. 

The main things I want in my phone is a good camera possibly with 4K and slow motion, screen that is bright enough to be viewed in sunlight, a battery that can last a day maybe more, and software which complements the device rather than ruin it.

I would really appreciate some advice to help me decide

Thank you

Xperia Z3 and Z3C, best specs, unbelievable battery life, very good build quality.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Xperia Z3 and Z3C, best specs, unbelievable battery life, very good build quality.

I've not really looked at Sony phones before, I would prefer a stock experience.

Note 4 when it releases.

Prefer stock Android over touch wiz 

I've not really looked at Sony phones before, I would prefer a stock experience.

Prefer stock Android over touch wiz 

Sony skin is closer to stock than probably any of the skins.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

What are the high end features the Moto X lacks? Not trying to be rude or doubt your personal judgement, I'm just wondering cause I've been pretty impressed with what it does.

Regarding your question, I believe OnePlus was working a new model that wouldn't require invitations if you want to look out for that.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

What are the high end features the Moto X lacks? Not trying to be rude or doubt your personal judgement, I'm just wondering cause I've been pretty impressed with what it does.

Regarding your question, I believe OnePlus was working a new model that wouldn't require invitations if you want to look out for that.

Battery only being 2300 mAh which is the same as my Nexus, which I don't think is enough. Lack of optical image stabilisation. Camera is not as good as other smartphones. Lack of an actual notification LED, something which I find extremely useful on a day to day basis. Moto X is definitely tempting, that's why it's on my list but it does have downsides. Not too concerned by the screen resolution it's more to do with those other factors. 

Sony skin is closer to stock than probably any of the skins.

I will have a watch of a few reviews to see what I think. 

Note 4 - Had a chance to play with it and the UI isn't that bad. Plus you can always get a new rom for it eventually. The hardware is hard to beat, screen is amazing. Everything you talk about/want just doesn't exist in one phone. 

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Note 4 - Had a chance to play with it and the UI isn't that bad. Plus you can always get a new rom for it eventually. The hardware is hard to beat, screen is amazing. Everything you talk about/want just doesn't exist in one phone. 

In terms of size how would you say the Note 4 compares to a Nexus 5 or similar size device? Is it the same as the Note 3 size, as I have used that before and not sure if I would like it. I actually really like Samsung's hardware, I don't really care too much about the whole plastic issue, which I guess is now less of an issue with the Note 4. If Samsung have done a decent job with the UI then I will happily get it. I will definitely try one out when it is released. 

I know everything I want is not in one phone but it's weighing up the pros and cons of each. I'm probably now down to Note 4, One Plus One, and iPhone 6 Plus. Which I guess counters my initial point about size.

Battery only being 2300 mAh which is the same as my Nexus, which I don't think is enough. Lack of optical image stabilisation. Camera is not as good as other smartphones. Lack of an actual notification LED, something which I find extremely useful on a day to day basis. Moto X is definitely tempting, that's why it's on my list but it does have downsides. Not too concerned by the screen resolution it's more to do with those other factors. 

All valid reasons, thanks.

I wasn't sure of any Android phones with camera stabilization so I looked it up and found this comparison if you're interested: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-phone-cameras,review-2272.html

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

In terms of size how would you say the Note 4 compares to a Nexus 5 or similar size device? Is it the same as the Note 3 size, as I have used that before and not sure if I would like it. I actually really like Samsung's hardware, I don't really care too much about the whole plastic issue, which I guess is now less of an issue with the Note 4. If Samsung have done a decent job with the UI then I will happily get it. I will definitely try one out when it is released. 

I know everything I want is not in one phone but it's weighing up the pros and cons of each. I'm probably now down to Note 4, One Plus One, and iPhone 6 Plus. Which I guess counters my initial point about size.

Similar to Note 3 size but with a whole new feel to it. Felt more like a quality built phone (I prefer Samsung plastic, really is much stronger than metal phones) - I'm not a fan of bloated OS, but the Note 4 ran smooth. I will get a custom rom for mine eventually for the stock android feel but the phones screen was really nice. 

The next phones I would say would be worth it are 1+1 and the new HTC I'm hearing about with a 5'5"

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

OnePlus One, Moto X, or G3. I'd say just go for the OnePlus, but the other two are pretty nice. Out of curiosity why not the One M8?

OnePlus One, Moto X, or G3. I'd say just go for the One, but the other two are pretty nice. Out of curiosity why not the One M8?

I would prefer to stick with the Autumn selection of phones rather than the spring selection. One M8 is quite nice but I would prefer something more recent, I know it isn't particularly old though. Also is the camera still the 4 megapixel sensor, because I use zoom quite a lot so megapixels are an issue for me. I am aware of the whole megapixels doesn't matter thing but 4 isn't enough. I might look at it though I am leaning more towards the One Plus, Note 4 and iPhone 6 plus. 

The Oneplus One will be available for preorder at the end of October. If you're not willing to wait that long, i got my hands on an invite recently, ordered the phone and i'm wondering when i'll get the invites to share. I can give you one when i get them, if you're still interested in the phone.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

The Oneplus One will be available for preorder at the end of October. If you're not willing to wait that long, i got my hands on an invite recently, ordered the phone and i'm wondering when i'll get the invites to share. I can give you one when i get them, if you're still interested in the phone.

Please do let me know if you get an invite, I won't take it unless I am completely sure though. Thank you very much. 

Hey guys I was thinking I'm not too sure if I really want a phone above 5.5 inches as I am not sure I could comfortably use it. I can just about get away with my Nexus 5 however I have used a Note 3 and it was a little uncomfortable. Could you guys suggest some 5 inch phones that would be a good choice for me? If not I will try and get my hands on a few of the other devices in the shops. 

The iPhone is the absolute best phone you can buy right now and for the foreseeable future based on how long the 5s was able to stay on top.

The iPhone is the absolute best phone you can buy right now and for the foreseeable future based on how long the 5s was able to stay on top.

You basically just did the equivalent of running around a federal building and praising Hitler. Prepare for the pitchforks.

You basically just did the equivalent of running around a federal building and praising Hitler. Prepare for the pitchforks.

Lol, I mean my last two phones were iPhones but they are not the be all and end all. It definitely is not the best phone, mostly because there is no such thing as the best phone since it really depends on the person and what you are looking for.

Anyway guys I have decided on the Oneplus one and I have placed an order for it. I was tempted by the Nexus 6 but that screen size does somewhat put me off even if the bezels are smaller than the iPhone 6. Now just need to wait for the Oneplus to arrive. 

After felling fucked by almost every phone company, I would say M8. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

*snip*

...there is no such thing as the best phone since it really depends on the person and what you are looking for. *snip*

I currently have a G2, but If I could get a new phone now it would be the M8.

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

I honestly am not bothered what os a phone runs, if it's good I will buy it. What annoys me is when people say a phone is terrible just because it's Apple or Android. I'm not sure of any flagships which are terrible, some may have flaws but that is just the way it is. Just choose what is best for yourself and not worry about what everyone else has. 

Anyway I have ordered the OnePlus One, and I may look at the Nexus 6 in the future as it seems to have some killer specs going for it. But for now OnePlus One it is.