Beyerdynamic DT880 Premiums or something else?

Muessig

I'm a freelance graphic designer so I tend to spend long hours in front of a computer listening to music when I'm working. When I'm out and about I have a set of Shure SE215 IEMs that are perfect for me - they have clear mids and treble with no fatigue or sibilance, with punchy and impactful bass - especially regarding extended bass. They're great.

When I'm at the PC however, I'm not so fortunate and I'm looking to change that. I've got a gaming headset that's the Logitech G35 (closed) but the pads have started to disintegrate (common problem, apparently) and they are quite muddy in sound generally - they're your typical low-middle of the road gaming headset from a few years ago. I also don't find them that comfortable. What I'm looking to do, is get a new set of headphones that I can use for music, movies and gaming (when gaming I'd attach something like a modmic 4.0 by Antlion (or do you have any better alternatives you could suggest for me?).

I'm looking for a good set of headphones that have a fairly neutral almost analytical and clear sound ideal for gaming (especially for FPS' where you need to hear footsteps etc.), but don't lack mids or bass and a good soundstage for positional audio. I don't mind semi-open or open headphones because I'm in a quiet room with little noise to block out or no one to bother, at a desktop.

I'm looking into the Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium's at the moment for comfort (but I'm open to suggestions) and my budget is up to £300.

My motherboard is the Asus Maximus Hero VI and I'm wondering whether it could power a 250 OHM headset like the DT 880's or if I'd need to get a dedicated amp to power them (I'd need to save up more to get an amp with it, but I'm thinking a reasonable amp like the Objective 2 by Mayflower Electronics might be the solution if my motherboard couldn't power this.

TL;DR:

1. Can the Asus Maximus Hero VI motherboard power the DT 880's?

2. ...or do I need a dedicated amp? If so, which one is best and will power it?

3. Are there any other headphones you would recommend for my needs over the DT 880's?

Just because they clamp tighter and they aren't as comfortable over time so I've read - also I don't like the look of the headband itself.

Also, why the AKG K612? Can you recommend a good review for me to check out?

Just because they clamp tighter and they aren't as comfortable over time so I've read - also I don't like the look of the headband itself.

Also, why the AKG K612? Can you recommend a good review for me to check out?

The Pro's and Premiums are identical in every way but materials used. So why spend more? 

K612, is just another good, similarly priced headphone. ShearMe, should have one in the FAQ somewhere. 

Presumably they aren't identical because they're different products, but I guess the most important element - the driver - will be the same. It also seems to be £100 or so cheaper.

I'm looking into the K612's - any preferences over this and the DT880's? Which is better?

Presumably they aren't identical because they're different products, but I guess the most important element - the driver - will be the same. It also seems to be £100 or so cheaper.

I'm looking into the K612's - any preferences over this and the DT880's? Which is better?

More comfortable, lighter, more likely to be a first time fit.

i dont recommend DT880 unless you are really anal about how your sound should be heard. also ALL beyers are amp picky, i recommend just the O2/ODAC if you want it best.

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

ShearMe, should have one in the FAQ somewhere. 

I never wrote a review of it because it's so similar to the 701. Just slightly deeper bass extension at the cost of a slightly quieter treble spike. Easy.

SO the K612's seem to be completely open and the reviews I've read or seen seem to suggest they're nice headphones, highly rated. The closest comparison on head-fi I can find is the K702's which weren't as highly regarded as the DT880's.

Would the K612's be easily powered or would I need an amp for them?