Cruise Control

WillFromGA

Is using cruise control putting more wear and tear on a car than using the pedal?

I know this is a tech forum but I know a lot of members here are car enthusists.

EDIT: Thanks for all the replies. The reason I ask this is because I heard it gives you better MPG but puts wear and tear on the car. I drive a 1998 Toyota Camry and was just wondering some extra ways to save on gas.

My Computer

Beef Cake

Intel i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz - EVGA 970 FTW - ASRock Z97 Extreme3 - Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb 1866MHz - 120GB Samsung Evo - 1TB Toshiba Drive - 320GB Samsung Barracuda - Corsair 500M

Why would it? It's just maintaining a set speed^^

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Nope.

No. It does not increase wear on the car.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Not really sure. As I only started driving yesterday I only use the pedal. :)

Bravo my friend. 

This comment was an answer but also a nice idea to tell everyone that you just started driving, Well...GOOD FOR YOU!

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Arnold

If the car is an older year it may be a mechanical vacuum that clamps the throttle cable, like in my Chevy Silverado. However if it's a newer car it's probably a ECM this being 'electronic' just has a relay to tell the computer to keep it open at said mixture (air, gas, other propellant) level. There is no 'wear-and-tear' resulting from this, and it actually can give a better MPG rating because it calculates the exact mixture to use for the desired speed.

Hope this helps

EDIT:

Now I realize I haven't driven for 8 months now (Deployed USAF) and kinda miss it. Driving is a privilege, not a right. And be safe, I've lost family and friends from driving occurrences.

If the car is an older year it may be a mechanical vacuum that clamps the throttle cable, like in my Chevy Silverado. However if it's a newer car it's probably a ECM this being 'electronic' just has a relay to tell the computer to keep it open at said mixture (air, gas, other propellant) level. There is no 'wear-and-tear' resulting from this, and it actually can give a better MPG rating because it calculates the exact mixture to use for the desired speed.

Hope this helps

EDIT:

Now I realize I haven't driven for 8 months now (Deployed USAF) and kinda miss it. Driving is a privilege, not a right. And be safe, I've lost family and friends from driving occurrences.

I'm yet to see cruise control give better MPG. From all the cars i have been in they have all been worse by quite a bit. This could be due to them being 3-5 years old with less advanced systems though.

OP, no there will be no extra wear as outlined above.

Simple Stryker (Now Finished  ;) )

The Terrible HP

I'm yet to see cruise control give better MPG. From all the cars i have been in they have all been worse by quite a bit. This could be due to them being 3-5 years old with less advanced systems though.

OP, no there will be no extra wear as outlined above.

Honestly, it's not noticeable, it's like 0.5%

Cruise is good, I love when I am driving up and down the freeway all day traveling and whatnot, saves me some gas which be good! 

no. if your car has a throttle cable it's just pulling the cable, if it's an electric controlled throttle (i hate those) it's just opening the throttle.

100% safe

also it can reduce MPG in hilly areas because it waits for the car to start slowing down, then it goes "oh i'm slowing down, i need to give it more juice" and then it opens the throttle, letting in more air, allowing it to put more fuel in because if it didn't the A2F ratio would be terrible, making the car go faster.

the actual reason is because it goes down a mph or two before it starts giving it more and by then it's pushing it 100% trying to speed the car back up to speed because it doesn't know there is a hill there so it cant compensate in the first place.

so simply highway's yeah you should see a difference, back roads where hills are presant, you will see a decrease in mpg

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Don't know where that myth came from.

Also be aware that breaking costs fuel, so lower your cruise control in time to roll out instead of having to break. :D

who cares...