Metal gear online resurrected by white hat hackers

XTankSlayerX

metal_gear_online.jpg

Sauce:

http://www.vg247.com/2014/09/29/metal-gear-online-resurrected-by-white-hat-hackers/

Good news for them, then; The Guardian reports a group of white hat hackers have managed to bring the game back online via private servers.

One of the members of the SaveMGO group will give a presentation detailing the work done at an upcoming conference, but in short, the crew reverse-engineered the game’s code from on-disc files, before applying a similar process to netcode and server code.

This was much more difficult than it would be for a live game, as the team had to guess at everything on the server end. The group had to crack network protocol encryption in order to achieve the feat, which is believed to be the first of its kind for PS3.

Unfortunately, you can’t just jump into a match; you’ll need a modified PS3, which is not a great idea. SaveMGO is hoping to develop a work around allowing users to join the fun without needing to open their consoles and fiddle with the innards.

Konami is yet to respond to the news. It has a patchy track record of working with fan groups, and this one has a lot of legal implications, so don’t get your hopes up too much.

This is effing cool! That is some dedication they have, hopefully they'll find a way to make it so you don't need a modded PS3 to access the servers.

Imagine if you could then play those games online with an emulator.

You probably can, you just need a server and for it to establish the connection.

bring back the EA master server for battlefield 2142 next PLEASE!

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Imagine if you could then play those games online with an emulator.

I've tested when some guys at savemgo brought the first Metal Gear Online (MGS3/persistence disc) back, with my modded PS2 I played, sad that you barely had 3 players at same time... 

I read that you could play it with an emulator too, there is a tutorial ... So with the right support, some nice ps2 games can be played online with an emulator.

So can the Dolphin emulator too.

That's pretty cool. Hopefully konami let's them continue and doesn't try to stop them.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Or at least make Battlefield 2143... I miss you so much Titan Mode and Pilum sniping. 

I never got to play it :(

I'd like to see someone do this for all the new Halo games, technically emulation is legal if you already own the original so MS and bungie could make money by encouraging and supporting it. However we know no one would buy it, everyone would download it and emulate.

Come on MS and bungie, wake your asses up.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Trik'Stari, on 29 Sept 2014 - 12:41 PM, said:

I never got to play it :(

I'd like to see someone do this for all the new Halo games, technically emulation is legal if you already own the original so MS and bungie could make money by encouraging and supporting it. However we know no one would buy it, everyone would download it and emulate.

Come on MS and bungie, wake your asses up.

I believe my favorite server from back in the day, deathok or something, I forget, have made a dedicated client that makes the game work without the master server but I haven't had time to test it...

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online