What monitor connection config should I use?

Nallown

So I just ordered 3 monitors which support DVI and DisplayPort and I'm trying to think of how I should hook this up to my GPU.

My GPU has 2x DVI and 2x Mini DisplayPort and 1x HDMI (Not going to use.)

So I'm wondering whether I should use a DisplayPort Adapter so I can have 1 DisplayPort be hooked up to 2 monitors or should I dedicate each output from the GPU to its own monitor so I'd use the 2 mini DisplayPort for each monitor and one DVI for another monitor.

What would be the best?

You might as well just give each monitor its own dedicated port.

Is there a reason you don't want to use HDMI?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

mini DP -> monitor #1

mini DP -> monitor #2

DVI -> monitor #3

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

His monitors use DVI or displayport, no HDMI.

He would have to use another adapter anyway.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

mainly for its refresh rate limitations which the other ports don't have so it would be kind of out of sync

His monitors use DVI or displayport, no HDMI.

He would have to use another adapter anyway.

That's true aswell but I haven't really bothered looking into whether the monitor supported HDMI or not but I just checked and turned out that they don't.

mainly for its refresh rate limitations which the other ports don't have so it would be kind of out of sync

On 1080p there is no limitation, the 30hz refresh rate limit is on 4k or higher resolutions. Unless you are going to use 120hz+ monitors, in that case you are right, HDMI can't do 120hz+

On 1080p there is no limitation, the 30hz refresh rate limit is on 4k or higher resolutions. Unless you are going to use 120hz+ monitors, in that case you are right, HDMI can't do 120hz+

what about running them in eyefinity? that's what I'm sort of worried about.

If you are on 60hz with 1440p or lower, then you have no reason to avoid HDMI, it's a very solid connector but it has got a bit of hate for not updating fast enough for 4k, so everyone started trashing it (also it has licensing fees so it increases the cost of the monitor).

HDMI is even a bit better than DVI, the thing is that if you are using dual link DVI it would use both analogue and digital part of the cable to drive on high end setups, being able to reach high refresh rates and up to 1600p resolution.

Just go mini-DP + mini-DP + HDMI.

It doesn't matter if you have 4 monitors, it will work.

HDMI would push 1080p 60 FPS just fine even with eyefinity.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

If you are on 60hz with 1440p or lower, then you have no reason to avoid HDMI, it's a very solid connector but it has got a bit of hate for not updating fast enough for 4k, so everyone started trashing it (also it has licensing fees so it increases the cost of the monitor).

HDMI is even a bit better than DVI, the thing is that if you are using dual link DVI it would use both analogue and digital part of the cable to drive on high end setups, being able to reach high refresh rates and up to 1600p resolution.

Just go mini-DP + mini-DP + HDMI.

It doesn't matter if you have 4 monitors, it will work.

Considering that eyefinity would send the display data asynchronously would mean that they'd have to poll at the exact same rate or they'd be out of sync and since the refresh rate on HDMI would be lower then DVI would mean that it would essentially cause some stutter over all other monitors.

I would just use both of the mini displayport for the 2 main monitors that you will be using and you can always put the 3rd monitor above you(ontop of the 2 monitors using MiniDisplay) and use that for something else. If you cant do that, then i suggest using the 2 minidisplays and 1 dvi 

I would just use both of the mini displayport for the 2 main monitors that you will be using and you can always put the 3rd monitor above you(ontop of the 2 monitors using MiniDisplay) and use that for something else. If you cant do that, then i suggest using the 2 minidisplays and 1 dvi 

Since this month I've also got some friends coming over from other countries to visit me and also will be going to a few conventions I won't be spending too much money and chose to get the monitors only but next month I'll be getting this monitor stand aswell. 

Of course I'll be asking suggestions and some other recommendations from other people from the LTT community before I'll be placing orders but that's what I've got in mind atm. 

Considering that eyefinity would send the display data asynchronously would mean that they'd have to poll at the exact same rate or they'd be out of sync and since the refresh rate on HDMI would be lower then DVI would mean that it would essentially cause some stutter over all other monitors.

That's where the driver kicks in and fixes the issue with software, introducing latency on the fastest monitors to be the same as the slower. On digital signals there is no issue with this, both Displayport and HDMI use the exact same digital data sending mechanics and protocols.

That's where the driver kicks in and fixes the issue with software, introducing latency on the fastest monitors to be the same as the slower. On digital signals there is no issue with this, both Displayport and HDMI use the exact same digital data sending mechanics and protocols.

That's true aswell but the poll rate would be turned down to a much lower frequency compared to if you were to usd DVI so frame skipping would be much more common over HDMI then DVI.

That's true aswell but the poll rate would be turned down to a much lower frequency compared to if you were to usd DVI so frame skipping would be much more common over HDMI then DVI.

nope, the slower one will limit you, if you are using Displayport it's the same anyway, both HDMI and DP have the same polling rate, and the frame-skipping that can occur on PCs is not related to the connector. The problems HDMI can have are inherited in Displayport, and besides, all these slight characteristics are not going to be seen, as the monitor is the bottleneck here, being the slowest and most flawed part of the chain.

nope, the slower one will limit you, if you are using Displayport it's the same anyway, both HDMI and DP have the same polling rate, and the frame-skipping that can occur on PCs is not related to the connector. The problems HDMI can have are inherited in Displayport, and besides, all these slight characteristics are not going to be seen, as the monitor is the bottleneck here, being the slowest and most flawed part of the chain.

I can't see how a 144hz monitor would bottlebeck a 120hz connector. Clearly the bottleneck would be whichever output that transmits at a lower frequency then what it receives and since the GPU would transmit at a higher frequency then a 120hz connecter, the bottleneck would be the cable.

I can't see how a 144hz monitor would bottlebeck a 120hz connector. Clearly the bottleneck would be whichever output that transmits at a lower frequency then what it receives and since the GPU would transmit at a higher frequency then a 120hz connecter, the bottleneck would be the cable.

Wait, you are using 144hz monitors?

Wait, you are using 144hz monitors?

I just noticed that I didn't mention it. Soz my fault

I just noticed that I didn't mention it. Soz my fault

I mentioned on my first post that the only reason not to go HDMI is 120+hz or 4k+ resolutions :P

Dual Link  DVI it is then