Questions about alienware desktops

asim1999

dont worry. i have built my own ( the Red Rampage: read my signature). i want to know more about the components inside the computers and why people hate the components (regardless of the price: even though it is way overpriced). i am neutral so i want to know some of the negatives and why people hate the desktops so much and maybe some positives about them ( if any)

so here are my questions ( sorry there is so many):

Alienware Aurora:

How many Graphics cards can it fit?

how much RAM can it have?

How easy is it to upgrade the components?

What is the PSU like, and does it have good quality and is it 80+ certified and what is the total wattage output?

What is the motherboard and cooler like? how good is the overclocking potential?

What is the bios like? is is a high-quality UEFI ( like ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI boards)?

How many RGB colours are available on the case lights?

How noisy is it?

Alienware X51:

all the questions above apply as well as these new ones:

what is the max graphics card length supported?

How did they get it so small?

and why are the components inside so underpowered ( GTX 645, for example)

and my friend thinks that his 2 year old samsung series gamer 7 laptop destroys my desktop and he thinks alienware PCs are better than the one that i built myself and others people have built? how do i prove him wrong?

thanks  for so much time and effort in the answers  guys, much appreciated

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

my friend? but how to stop him boasting about some useless laptop?

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

He is an idiot, dont even bother.

For a second I thought you meant the OP.

Tell your friend he's an idiot, his laptop can't be upgraded, it will eventually overheat and die, the battery will die and when it does that laptop will be obsolete and no one will be making batteries for it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Just go to the alienware site and make your own opinion.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

Honestly, I don't know the exact specs of any of them, but I did try to build my rig on their website just to see how much it would cost. My rig was $2400 to build without peripherals but was $3800 from Alienware (again, without peripherals) and still isn't quite as good as my custom build. It had a way worse sound card, a smaller HDD, and lack luster cooling. People don't hate Alienware because they are under powered, they hate them because they are under powered for the price.

just went on the website and my rig is £1200. and the equivalent Alienware is around £2000

Just as a side note, these answers are completely off the top of my head, so they may be inaccurate.

Alienware Aurora:
How many Graphics cards can it fit? It's an mATX Chassis, so it can technically fit two though they will be extremely close.
how much RAM can it have? 32 GB (4 slots).
How easy is it to upgrade the components? Cable management room is very limited, but it is a standard mATX chassis.
What is the PSU like, and does it have good quality and is it 80+ certified and what is the total wattage output? I believe that they use an 850 W PSU manufactured by Dell.. I'm not sure about 80+ certification, but presumably Dell would have their own internal QA.
What is the motherboard and cooler like? how good is the overclocking potential? The motherboard is a fairly generic mATX X79/X99 board, not a high-end aftermarket OC'ing board, so it will lack some features. The cooler is a 120mm AIO watercooler.
What is the bios like? is is a high-quality UEFI ( like ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI boards)? No.
How many RGB colours are available on the case lights? Plenty.
How noisy is it? No idea.

Alienware X51:
How many Graphics cards can it fit? One.
how much RAM can it have? 16 GB (two slots).
How easy is it to upgrade the components? Not very. Very cramped inside with very little workspace.
What is the PSU like, and does it have good quality and is it 80+ certified and what is the total wattage output? It's the same 330W laptop PSU that's used by the M18x. 
What is the motherboard and cooler like? how good is the overclocking potential? Generic mITX board with the stock Intel cooler. No heavy OC'ing here.
What is the bios like? is is a high-quality UEFI ( like ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI boards)? No.

How many RGB colours are available on the case lights? Gallons of colors
How noisy is it? Not sure. Airflow will be very restricted in the small chassis.
what is the max graphics card length supported? ~10"?? (I forget the exact number)
How did they get it so small? The PSU is external, and the inside is very very cramped. (just look at teardown pics on google) 
and why are the components inside so underpowered ( GTX 645, for example) The external PSU is very limited with its power output, so it simply can't power a super high-end system. Last I heard, the strongest card it could run was a GTX 760, but the new Maxwell GPUs should change this.

and my friend thinks that his 2 year old samsung series gamer 7 laptop destroys my desktop and he thinks alienware PCs are better than the one that i built myself and others people have built? how do i prove him wrong?

Calmly explain to him that performance is bound by the processing power of the components, and that the manufacturer of the system is irrelevant to its performance. 

Also: real world demonstrations of power. (benchmarks, framerates in games).

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

thanks guys. Has anyone had problems with alienware desktops or know anyone with problems

So much hate for Alienware. I bet most of the people hating are the ones that have never had one. Yes, they may be a bit overpriced; but from my experiences they are quality products. My 2010 Alienware M15x is built like a tank and I've never had any problems with it. I see at least another 4 years of use from it. My friends got both the new 14 inch laptop and the aurora and can only say good things about them.

Form your own opinion. Every product has it's haters and fanboys; you choose what you like. I personally love my Alienware and so do my friends that have them.

So much hate for Alienware. I bet most of the people hating are the ones that have never had one. Yes, they may be a bit overpriced; but from my experiences they are quality products. My 2010 Alienware M15x is built like a tank and I've never had any problems with it. I see at least another 4 years of use from it. My friends got both the new 14 inch laptop and the aurora and can only say good things about them.

Form your own opinion. Every product has it's haters and fanboys; you choose what you like. I personally love my Alienware and so do my friends that have them.

I don't waste my time hating on Alienware, because there is little to hate. They make decent gaming computers with excellent customer support. And the laptops are fucking rock solid. But nah, people would prefer to waste their lives fighting with people about how their computer is inadequate because it's Alienware. They're a little expensive, but then again, so is a Digital Storm PC, or a CyberPowerPC. Or Origin, ASUS, Puget Systems, the list goes on and on.

At least we get it.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

thanks guys. Has anyone had problems with alienware desktops or know anyone with problems

Generally, they are as likely as any desktop to fail, with the exception of the motherboards- they are the main part of the hardware that is dell made, and are usually cheap and poorly designed. Typically the parts I replace on an alienware system. 

However, when stuff does break, and you have a warranty, despite paying hundred or thousands more than you should pay for a system, and possibly an extra/extended warranty, dell customer support will treat you like shit. 

There are a lot of pre-built options. Don't go with alienware for desktops. 

I own an alienware laptop- I bought it used for a great price. It broke on me, though it was one of the mxm AMD gpus, not really dell's fault, and I fixed it. It's an m18x. From owning this, and fixing a few, I have gotten a mixed impression of alienware laptops.

Dell's business laptops have a good history of strong keyboards. Hell I get 70-80 wpm on my little 14" Latitude. But that does not translate to dell's gaming keyboards. They flex a lot, and are generally bad for typing despite looking cool. Though the size of my m18x is conformable and is almost the ideal workstation for me, even though  I'm 100% used to the keyboard, I made mistake after mistake on it, and type much slower than almost any other laptop. To game on, it's ok. 

The drivers are a mess as well. 

Some positives- the speakers are really good. But that's to be expected on a huge laptop...unless it's clevo.

The screen looks good, though it is a reflective glass panel. 

The trackpad is nice. 

It has a feature no other laptop manufacturer has included, and I wish they had-HDMI input. 

You can plug any hdmi device in and use you laptop as a screen as well as speakers. 

So you can play ps4 or something on it if you wish for example. It has HDCP support. 

The price is outrageous. This laptop was 5000$ for whoever bought it new. They opted for near top of the line AMD GPUs and an overclockable 2920xm. 

If you buy an alienware laptop, you'll pay thousands more than you need to, or get weak hardware. Plus, dell support is shit. Many people I know sent theirs in multiple times for the same problem, or got new problems as a result of the "repair". Hell one had a dead GPU, told them that, and they replaced the screen 3 times, and billed him for the last time. 

They are many other brands to check out. 

For best price, check out "clevo" or a clevo rebrand like sager. They are always first to the newest dual gpu configs, and are available with desktop processors. 

check out other brands if you want a reputable large brand behind it. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I own one and have fixed several. I am a laptop expert, and I'd say the hate is justified. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Well they have overkill cpus for the gpu on the Aurora. It seems like most pre-built systems do that, matching a i7-4820K with a 270.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)