Best way to wipe a hard drive ?

Dicehunter

After a bout of virus's and other stuff I thought I'd wipe my HDD, Would a standard right click and format do the job or is there a more in depth method I should look at ?

Battle.Net - Dicehunter#2746

Origin - Dicehunter

Steam - Dicehunter

Uplay - Dicehunter

After a bout of virus's and other stuff I thought I'd wipe my HDD, Would a standard right click and format do the job or is there a more in depth method I should look at ?

I wipe my hard drives with a simple microfiber cloth. Gets the dust off good.

In all seriousness though, what I did was just reformat it. It's probably not the best way but it cleared everything off and I use it as a plain storage device now.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

In all seriousness though, what I did was just reformat it. It's probably not the best way but it cleared everything off and I use it as a plain storage device now.

35esmb.jpg

Origin - Dicehunter

Steam - Dicehunter

Uplay - Dicehunter

Ah yes, I use the same method to wipe my external HDD. It does a damn good job it does. :P:D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I do the standard right-click format, good enough for me... if you want your data irreversibly destroyed forever (like if you're running from the FBI) you'll need to use the sledgehammer-method.

I do the standard right-click format, good enough for me... if you want your data irreversibly destroyed forever (like if you're running from the FBI) you'll need to use the sledgehammer-method.

Just do this ^

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Just do this ^

31 wipes then wipe free space.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I've just collected lots of crap over the last year and a virus scan will take days on a 4TB drive so a wipe is in order.

Anyone used ccleaners secure wipe feature ?

Origin - Dicehunter

Steam - Dicehunter

Uplay - Dicehunter

magnet maybe 

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Maybe get a new HHD?

It's a WD Caviar Black 4TB and only just 1 year old so getting a new one just because I want to wipe it is out of the question.

I got a virus warning from my ISP saying they noticed a trojan on my connection sort of like an after service monitoring thing, Quite handy.

I've run NOD32, Avast, Malware Bytes etc... and found nothing but I want to wipe my HDD anyway to clear out the clutter.

Origin - Dicehunter

Steam - Dicehunter

Uplay - Dicehunter

It's a WD Caviar Black 4TB and only just 1 year old so getting a new one just because I want to wipe it is out of the question.

I got a virus warning from my ISP saying they noticed a trojan on my connection sort of like an after service monitoring thing, Quite handy.

I've run NOD32, Avast, Malware Bytes etc... and found nothing but I want to wipe my HDD anyway to clear out the clutter.

Oh ok.

Because he had a hard drive.

I use CCleaner's wipe drive feature, and I usually do 7 passes, and then the 30-whatever if I'm getting rid of the drive.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I use CCleaner's wipe drive feature, and I usually do 7 passes, and then the 30-whatever if I'm getting rid of the drive.

Do you know if this effects the overall health of the drive much ?

Origin - Dicehunter

Steam - Dicehunter

Uplay - Dicehunter

Do you know if this effects the overall health of the drive much ?

Unless it's an SSD, there will probably be no effects at all, unless the drive is really old and starting to show signs of imminent death.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Dude, you only need to do 1 on modern drives.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Dude, you only need to do 1 on modern drives.

I like to feel secure. :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

I would recommend a hammer of at least 40 ounces. Some opt for the sledgehammer. A sharp nail or something that could shatter the platters. The other method is explosives, you don't want to go that route. I usually wipe drives using another computer to wipe them. I use Windows 7 Disk management and a handy dandy USB external drive docking station for the magnetic drives. I wipe them again when I reinstall the OS. 

If it's a secondary disk, just download this program "hddllf"

Install it and choose your hdd to be wiped.

This will perform a low level format, aka zero fill, to your disk. This will destroy any information inside your hdd, and will leave it totally new. There is no possibility to recover any info after doing this.

If you want to do it to your primary disk, then you'll need to do it from a boot CD, you may want to take a look on hiren boot, which is a very good suite, very helpful to do almost anything booting from this, or just look for a program called hdderase, and boot your pc from it.

Learning from Spain, don't be rude if I can't understand everything you write down to me O_o'

31 wipes then wipe free space.

Because you can much?

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home