Can the Strix "0db fan technology" be turned off?

I actually really like the Asus Strix version of the 970, but having no fan action until 65 degrees kind of sketches me out.

If there is a way to turn that off and have fan speeds start slow then ramp up (as most cards do), I'll probably grab it.

If the Gigabyte card wasn't an extra $50-$80 (in Canada), I'd probably get that, but it is, so I'm kind of between the evga and Asus cards right now.

If you have any other suggestions, let me know!

I've seen people hating the Strix OC just because of that. Would be interesting to see if there's any ways to enable the fan even at lower than 65C.

Spoiler

Yes, you can set custom fan curves.

What does it scare you about it? XFX used to have (I think they still do) this technology, where they would turn one fan off and run the other one super slow. The only thing the asus card is that it has a fan curve that allows 0 RPM instead of the minimum others do, which is like %10, there is nothing magical or sketchy about it. When the card is not using the power it won't have high temperatures, 65°C is completely reasonable.

Setting a fan curve would bypass what Asus has implemented?

There is absolutely no reason to be worried about the 0db fan on the STRIX. Asus would not release a crumby card that fails because then they would lose allot of money because of high RMAs. Enjoy the silence.

I guess I'd just like a bit of airflow through the card at all times, especially since my cooling isn't amazing at the moment (nzxt h440 with 4 stock fans, Hyper 210 evo cpu cooler). To me it just seems like keeping the cards slightly cooled would prevent it from reaching higher temperatures as quickly, but I am also very new to pc building in general, so if it's not really an issue, I'll probably go with that card. I guess it's also just nice to know that bypassing the 0db feature is possible, so thanks guys!

I guess I'd just like a bit of airflow through the card at all times, especially since my cooling isn't amazing at the moment (nzxt h440 with 4 stock fans, Hyper 210 evo cpu cooler). To me it just seems like keeping the cards slightly cooled would prevent it from reaching higher temperatures as quickly, but I am also very new to pc building in general, so if it's not really an issue, I'll probably go with that card. I guess it's also just nice to know that bypassing the 0db feature is possible, so thanks guys!

If you're not doing anything intensive the heatsink is enough to passively cool it. Once you start doing something intensive the fans ramp up enough that it keeps the card cooled as much as it needs to be. It's a very effective design and your case's cooling is enough for it. Don't worry, you won't thermally kill the card.

If you're not doing anything intensive the heatsink is enough to passively cool it. Once you start doing something intensive the fans ramp up enough that it keeps the card cooled as much as it needs to be. It's a very effective design and your case's cooling is enough for it. Don't worry, you won't thermally kill the card.

Alright, cool. I did trust the design, because if it was garbage we probably would have heard about it by now, but I just wanted to be sure before I pulled the trigger on it, which I will probably do tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks man!

i am the same way with my cooling. its always on or bust.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

If you really wanted the fan to come on earlier set a custom fan curve with software.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101