Second 780, One 980, or nothing?

So my current rig is a fairly generic i7-4770K + GTX 780 setup (full rig specs in profile), paired with a 1080p 144hz monitor and a 1440p 60hz (overclockable to 120) monitor..

With the recent launch of the 980, the price drop on the 780, and the decent pay raise I got at work, I've been thinking about upgrading my GPU. The only issue is that I'm not quite sure what I want.. The way I see it, my options are:

-Sell 780 (for ~$250-300?) and buy a new 980 for $550. Total cost = ~$250-300, depending on sale price of my 780.

-Buy second 780. Total cost = $330. 

-Stay happy with my current rig and do nothing for now

My single 780 has served my very well at 1440p 60 FPS, but my Korean 1440p monitor is overclockable to over 100 Hz. The experience of gaming (especially first-person shooters) at >100 FPS is something I enjoy a lot, but the image quality of a 1440p PLS panel is something I also enjoy a lot. Upgrading to a stronger setup should allow me to have the best of both worlds in theory.. So what do you guys think would be the best option? While the 980 is fast, it's not quite "two 780s" fast. That being said, I've never ran an SLI setup, so I don't know if there will be any issues that I would need to look out for.

On the topic of heat output, would having two dual-fan 780s in SLI and an air-cooled CPU (all overclocked) be too much heat for a Fractal Define R4? If it is, then would a single 980 be a better option, despite the lower performance?

I can always adjust my cooling setup if that's necessary to keep the 780s cool. I'm not concerned about noise, as I used to game on a laptop with an OC'd GPU (dat laptop fan noise).

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

if selling the 780 and going for a new 980 is around the same as buying a new 780 i'd say go for the 980.

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

If you have the enough power go for a second 780. But in my opinion i would go with the 980 just to show it off by having the newest and greatest GPU. And yeah it may get hot in the case depending on the amount of fans you have. So if your overclocking to the max and it already gets hot in your case then you should really get a 980 just to have a quieter and lower temps.

A 980 will do great for a single card at 1440p and will be less heat ans power consumption 

Here is my 980 Its an amazing card!! 

post-44533-0-17750200-1411833360.jpg

If you're really not doing anything much but gaming and are satisfied with the performance of your current GTX 780, then doing nothing is the best option for now.

You're good with the current games of today, and it all depends if you are seriously asking for MOAR performance. But even if so, a GTX 980 Ti or a 990 will definitely come out, maybe even in 20nm.

So don't rush it ;)

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

A 980 will do great for a single card at 1440p and will be less heat ans power consumption 

Here is my 980 Its an amazing card!! 

LOL that system kinda looks empty xD but i like it!

and I also think you should go for 980 and maybe later sli 980... more vram and better efficiency in general

PLEASE QUOTE OR TAG (WITH @) ME IF YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT ME TO REPLY!!!!!!!

Also if your issue is solved don't forget to mark the thread as solved!
Peace!!! from a random person in the tech's god forsaken land (named Finland or as I like to call it sarcastically FUNland)

LOL that system kinda looks empty xD but i like it!

and I also think you should go for 980 and maybe later sli 980... more vram and better efficiency in general

I know ;P But I like the minimalistic look I'm going to get another 980 sometime in the future 

If you have the enough power go for a second 780. But in my opinion i would go with the 980 just to show it off by having the newest and greatest GPU. And yeah it may get hot in the case depending on the amount of fans you have. So if your overclocking to the max and it already gets hot in your case then you should really get a 980 just to have a quieter and lower temps.

My PSU can handle it, and the electric bill is of no concern.. I don't care about showing off or aesthetics; I don't have a windowed side panel for a reason.. I can readjust my fans to better suit a future setup, and I have a few extra fans lying around if I need to use them.

I generally don't overclock to the max, but everything will have a minor OC on them.

My current temps are more than fine and the current noise levels are very good. Like I said in my first post, I don't care about noise because I used to game on a laptop which could get very noisy. My current headset is good enough at blocking noise, and with game volume on I can't really hear any system noise at all.

If you're really not doing anything much but gaming and are satisfied with the performance of your current GTX 780, then doing nothing is the best option for now.

You're good with the current games of today, and it all depends if you are seriously asking for MOAR performance. But even if so, a GTX 980 Ti or a 990 will definitely come out, maybe even in 20nm.

So don't rush it ;)

I am fairly satisfied with my current performance, though with every game I have to make the decision of 1080p@144hz or 1440p@60hz. A stronger setup allows for me to run heavy games at both 1440p and over 100 FPS.

Nothing save your pennies for that 980ti :P

We don't really have a release date for that. I know that rumors have said the "big chip" Maxwell GPU will launch in Q4 2014, but like Linus said, that will probably either a compute or workstation card (Tesla or Quadro), or maybe a Titan 2. I have no intention of spending $1000 on a Titan 2. If they do the same thing will Maxwell as they did with Kepler, the low-priced big chip gaming GPU won't be out for quite a while (GTX 680 vs GTX 780). 

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

So my current rig is a fairly generic i7-4770K + GTX 780 setup (full rig specs in profile), paired with a 1080p 144hz monitor and a 1440p 60hz (overclockable to 120) monitor..

With the recent launch of the 980, the price drop on the 780, and the decent pay raise I got at work, I've been thinking about upgrading my GPU. The only issue is that I'm not quite sure what I want.. The way I see it, my options are:

-Sell 780 (for ~$250-300?) and buy a new 980 for $550. Total cost = ~$250-300, depending on sale price of my 780.

My single 780 has served my very well at 1440p 60 FPS, but my Korean 1440p monitor is overclockable to over 100 Hz. The experience of gaming (especially first-person shooters) at >100 FPS is something I enjoy a lot, but the image quality of a 1440p PLS panel is something I also enjoy a lot. Upgrading to a stronger setup should allow me to have the best of both worlds in theory.. So what do you guys think would be the best option? While the 980 is fast, it's not quite "two 780s" fast. That being said, I've never ran an SLI setup, so I don't know if there will be any issues that I would need to look out for.

On the topic of heat output, would having two dual-fan 780s in SLI and an air-cooled CPU (all overclocked) be too much heat for a Fractal Define R4? If it is, then would a single 980 be a better option, despite the lower performance?

I can always adjust my cooling setup if that's necessary to keep the 780s cool. I'm not concerned about noise, as I used to game on a laptop with an OC'd GPU (dat laptop fan noise).

Do nothing until they release the 980Ti, your 780 is more than capable at the moment. 

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

780 still has some re-sell value which will go away soon .. 

So if you find a good deal to sell your 780, go ahead and sell it .. otherwise, stick with single 780 until 980Ti is out (Expected this year as per the rumors) 

Rig1LianLi O11 Dynamic Evo | Asus Crosshair VIII Formula | Ryzen 9 5950x  | 2TB Gen 4 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 49" 5120x1440 

Rig2: TT Tower 200 | Asus X670e-i | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | 2TB Gen 5 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 57" 7680x2160  | Oculus Quest Pro

780 still has some re-sell value which will go away soon .. 

So if you find a good deal to sell your 780, go ahead and sell it .. otherwise, stick with single 780 until 980Ti is out (Expected this year as per the rumors) 

^This isn't a bad idea, really.

OP, you should think about this^

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

I would go for SLI.

Even if the 980 Ti is released, I'm certain the 780 SLI will remain the most powerful option within reasonable cost. If electricity is not a concern, definitely SLI.

Honestly now is a good time to SLI since new cards are getting so low in price and are still in stock lol.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

My PSU can handle it, and the electric bill is of no concern.. I don't care about showing off or aesthetics; I don't have a

windowed side panel for a reason.. I can readjust my fans to better suit a future setup, and I have a few extra fans lying around if I need to use them.

I generally don't overclock to the max, but everything will have a minor OC on them.

My current temps are more than fine and the current noise levels are very good. Like I said in my first post, I don't care about noise because I used to game on a laptop which could get very noisy. My current headset is good enough at blocking noise, and with game volume on I can't really hear any system noise at all.

I am fairly satisfied with my current performance, though with every game I have to make the decision of 1080p@144hz or 1440p@60hz. A stronger setup allows for me to run heavy games at both 1440p and over 100 FPS.

We don't really have a release date for that. I know that rumors have said the "big chip" Maxwell GPU will launch in Q4 2014, but like Linus said, that will probably either a compute or workstation card (Tesla or Quadro), or maybe a Titan 2. I have no intention of spending $1000 on a Titan 2. If they do the same thing will Maxwell as they did with Kepler, the low-priced big chip gaming GPU won't be out for quite a while (GTX 680 vs GTX 780).

Sorry for the long quote. But the person who replied to me and also the starter of the thread. Thank you for being very descriptive about everything I asked you. I really stand by what I said. Which is that, go for the second 780 since you have that first one, since you don't care about showing off. Hope I helped!

Dual 760s! 
Seriously. I get 3100 in Unigine Valley Benchmarks.

I can also run surround.

DSC_0450.JPG

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Wait for 20nm imo.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8