How to get into MOBA's?

burgo_pc

So I've wanted to play MOBA's for a while now but getting involved seems overwhelming. Where do I start?

This is only a test

The best advice I can give you is DON'T get into MOBA's. They are rarely any fun, most of the times not competitive (only pro tournaments) and you will end up with a team of idiots that don't know how to play and only rage. That's why I quit. So unless you got a team of 3 or 5 people you know and you are aware that you might hate your friends because they fucked up a game/team fight, then don't start... It's not worth the anger!

Two popular MOBAs are League of legends or Dota 2

First option would be to play with friends with more experience.

If that is not possible start from the normal tutorial every game provides . Then before playing with actual opponents do some games versus Bots (it is a game mode inside LoL or Dota). Try to play one game or two with every different hero you want to try before going against other players.

You can also read some guides about specific hero's or roles within the genre (Tank, support,etc). You can check this site for League  of legends: http://www.mobafire.com/

Other than that it takes time and many games to get better...

Start with something easier, like Heroes of the Storm, then check DotA if you like it.

Although you could start with not using apostrophe in plurals.

Plural of PC is PCs, not PC's. Plural of CPU is CPUs, not CPU's. Plural of LED is LEDs, not LED's.

You can build computers really well, not real good.

I'll tell you this right now you are going to hate mobas when you first start. But if you get through the learning phase of either league or Dota the games become very fun. Choosing league or Dota is a personal preference. There is a steeper learning curve in Dota but both games are difficult to master. I suggest you find a friend who play the game and have them teach you. If not just do many bot matches to learn the mechanics of the game. Than start doing public matches against people. I dont know if is in league but in Dota they have ranked matches that are more competitive.

I would suggest you get into mobas because they are really fun to play when you get to know them.

The best advice I can give you is DON'T get into MOBA's. They are rarely any fun, most of the times not competitive (only pro tournaments) and you will end up with a team of idiots that don't know how to play and only rage. That's why I quit. So unless you got a team of 3 or 5 people you know and you are aware that you might hate your friends because they fucked up a game/team fight, then don't start... It's not worth the anger!

Jesus, just let the guy play what he wants. I'm sorry you had bad experiences or whatever, but at least let him judge for himself.

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

If you need some help getting into mobas, i can easily help you ;). I mainly play League, but i played Dota 1 9years, so just feel free to ask anything with pm ;)

Jesus, just let the guy play what he wants. I'm sorry you had bad experiences or whatever, but at least let him judge for himself.

Everyone regrets it sooner or later. :P

It's a great experience but to a certain extent, until it starts to piss you off and takes away all the pleasure from gaming! :D

It's a great experience but to a certain extent, until it starts to piss you off and takes away all the pleasure from gaming! :D

3238hrs on Dota 2 and still going strong  B)

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

I have played almost 5000 games in LoL ... and it is still fun for me. However! It takes a lot of my time and I cant play another games. I often have to disable all communication to prevent friends from calling me to go play with them :D

Now to OP:

If you want get to MoBa the best way is to play with friend. If you plan on playing it alone then dont bother. It will get frustrating really fast. Also try to ignore chat. Pretend that no chat in game exist. A very large number of people in MoBa games are assholes that need to prove you how bad you are. Just ignore them. Dont try to be good (from begining).. just experiment and have fun. After you try a lot of different champions and find your play style then you can start playing more seriously and get into competition.

I have played almost 5000 games in LoL ... and it is still fun for me. However! It takes a lot of my time and I cant play another games. I often have to disable all communication to prevent friends from calling me to go play with them :D

Now to OP:

If you want get to MoBa the best way is to play with friend. If you plan on playing it alone then dont bother. It will get frustrating really fast. Also try to ignore chat. Pretend that no chat in game exist. A very large number of people in MoBa games are assholes that need to prove you how bad you are. Just ignore them. Dont try to be good (from begining).. just experiment and have fun. After you try a lot of different champions and find your play style then you can start playing more seriously and get into competition.

You just said what I wanted to say in a better way xD I did play with a friend and that's why I stuck around so long. I still play, but exclusively when playing with friends. As he said, if you can ignore chat, you are good to go. And LoL is a freaking time eater, and I had the misfortune to start playing it over 2 years ago when I got into college. :D

You just said what I wanted to say in a better way xD I did play with a friend and that's why I stuck around so long. I still play, but exclusively when playing with friends. As he said, if you can ignore chat, you are good to go. And LoL is a freaking time eater, and I had the misfortune to start playing it over 2 years ago when I got into college. :D

I also tried to not play it.. I endured 4 months but then new season started.. you know.. :D

Now LTT forum takes a huge chunk of my time too. So 40% of my free time to LoL, 40% to LTT and 20% rest ... I am finished (luckily I dont have to go to shool "luckily?").

I just started playing League. I used to think mobas looked quite terrible, not very interesting etc. But I've actually found it quite addictive! With the huge list of champions to choose from/play against it can be overwhelming, but you will learn it in time. I think the best way to learn is to do it the same way the first players did - by doing the tutorial and then playing games against bots. I've had 10 games and they've all been against bots so far, and I'm getting better, dying less often and I am starting to learn some of the terminology (though people don't make it easy...) Try and friend someone who is nice and is of a similar level to you, and play with them - it'll be much more fun than getting wrecked at higher levels with an experienced friend. 

And you don't have to play competitively at all - you can stick to bot games if playing against people isn't fun. I have a friend who spent his entire time playing against bots and is now level 25.

Whatever you do, don't forget to have fun :)

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

Smite, HOTS, Dota 2 are the one's I would recommend. It's not the best community to play in, but you'll get used to it, don't let that deter you. Also, MOBA's are sometimes just not for you/your gaming style, so don't push them or else you'll just get mad.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Thanks for the advice guys, it has given me a lot to think about.

This is only a test