Computer Part Picking Help

Go to solution Solved by brob,

@Not a Black,

If the plan is to add additional gpu then I would suggest going with the i7-5930K instead of the i7-5820K. The later has 28 PCIe lanes which only allows for x8 operation of a second gpu.

A 750W psu is enough for a 2 gpu system with heavy overclocking. You might even consider something smaller.

With two identical 1TB hdd I presume some sort of RAID array is contemplated. In that case WD Red drives would be more appropriate. They are designed for that sort of use.

Fans are something that can always be added when and if they are needed. It seems pointless to me to spend the equivalent of a decent case on aftermarket fans for a build that will not be putting out much heat.

The better performance of an 850 Pro ssd will not be noticeable in a general use and gaming rig. Something like an MX100 or 840 EVO would do just as well, further reducing the cost.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($564.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Cooling MX4 4g Thermal Paste  ($6.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($395.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.97 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Red 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($65.29 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Red 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($65.29 @ B&H)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($629.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case  ($129.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2618.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-26 12:35 EDT-0400

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Maktoob5/saved/JtRwrH

My budget is $3000($200~300 over is perfectly fine).

Looking to buy a gaming pc that can last 3 years, running every game in ultra with least of 85 fps while recording.(recording with Dxtory)

Already have Asus 24inch 144hz monitor.

I do have Razer setup (deathadder, widow ultimate and kraken pro) but I'm willing to buy RGB items to change colors when ever i want to.

I want a blue snowball microphone also.

So this is lists of what I need

[Computer Tower]

[RGB keyboard] (perfer red/brown keys)

[RGB mouse]

[RGB headphone]

Budget : $3000~$3300

You really don't need a 1200W power supply for that build. 750-800W would suffice. Maxwell consumes less power than Kepler, so it's another reason to decrease the power supply to a lower wattage. Do you have any plans to move into an SLI configuration later on down the road?

Another move I would make is to change the H100i to the H105. The rad is a bit thicker, so it will allow for better heat dissipation. You also won't have to worry about the software not working correctly, as the H105 is completely driven by PWM (minus the water block pump).

Phanteks Enthoo Pro Black | Corsair TX750v2 | ASRock Z97 Extreme4 | Core i5 4670K @ 4.4 GHz @ 1.27V | Corsair H105 | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 PC3-12800 | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 | Axiom Signature III 240GB SSD | WDC 1TB Blue | Hitachi 750GB

I use a 'moron filter' on tech forums. If I don't respond to your post, considered yourself filtered out.

As for the peripherals:

RGB Keyboard: Corsair has released their k65, k70, and k95 with rgb available in the switches you listed(differences are tenkeyless, full keyboard, full keyboard with macros respectively).  http://www.corsair.com/en-us/landing/k70-rgb

Logitech is releasing their rgb keyboards: http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/rgb-gaming-keyboard-g910 which use some new Romer-G switches (no idea how they feel)

Razer has released their BlackWidow Chroma

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-blackwidow-chroma (don't know what switches these have)

RGB Mouse:  Razer is also releasing a RGB DeathAdder.  If you need a lot of buttons, try the Logitech g600.

RGB Headphones:  I wouldn't really suggest getting headphones based on their lights.

Also, you might want to look into multiple monitors.

Yeah, 1200W is overkill for any system with less than 3 GPUs, pretty much. (Yes, it's even overkill for the 295X2). For a single GPU, that's just silly. I'd say go down to an 850W PSU, go down to the 4790K and a Z97 motherboard (the 5820K won't help much in gaming), and get a second GTX 980 for good measure (perhaps even get two reference GTX 980s). 

As for the peripherals:

RGB Keyboard: Corsair has released their k65, k70, and k95 with rgb available in the switches you listed(differences are tenkeyless, full keyboard, full keyboard with macros respectively).  http://www.corsair.com/en-us/landing/k70-rgb

Logitech is releasing their rgb keyboards: http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/rgb-gaming-keyboard-g910 which use some new Romer-G switches (no idea how they feel)

Razer has released their BlackWidow Chroma

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-blackwidow-chroma (don't know what switches these have)

RGB Mouse:  Razer is also releasing a RGB DeathAdder.  If you need a lot of buttons, try the Logitech g600.

RGB Headphones:  I wouldn't really suggest getting headphones based on their lights.

Also, you might want to look into multiple monitors.

You really don't need a 1200W power supply for that build. 750-800W would suffice. Maxwell consumes less power than Kepler, so it's another reason to decrease the power supply to a lower wattage. Do you have any plans to move into an SLI configuration later on down the road?

Another move I would make is to change the H100i to the H105. The rad is a bit thicker, so it will allow for better heat dissipation. You also won't have to worry about the software not working correctly, as the H105 is completely driven by PWM (minus the water block pump).

I am gonna use SLI down the road since I'm looking for the long run. Isn't it hard to mount/fit in the radiator if it's more thicker?

I already have two monitors but I do not want to punish my eyes by using 2 monitors. 1 is enough for my eyes. Thanks for suggestions though.

I like to change colors and have great sounds at the same time, any headphone that have rgb with great performance?

Yeah, 1200W is overkill for any system with less than 3 GPUs, pretty much. (Yes, it's even overkill for the 295X2). For a single GPU, that's just silly. I'd say go down to an 850W PSU, go down to the 4790K and a Z97 motherboard (the 5820K won't help much in gaming), and get a second GTX 980 for good measure (perhaps even get two reference GTX 980s). 

Isn't reference card's life spend is shorter than after market ones? Doesn't it run hotter? Also, I'm trying to use this as work station at the same time. Can you pull out a specs for me that has 6 cores with dual gpu?

It is a bit harder to mount the radiator if it is a bit thicker. The radiator thickness is 35mm, so you have to make sure that the chassis has adequate space to fit it. Simply putting "120mm radiator support" on the advertising material isn't enough. Come to think of it, I don't think the 750D will fit the H105, but don't quote me on it. I chose the Enthoo Pro over most Corsair cases due to that issue, as a cost/performance choice as well.

I've had several video cards based on both reference design and aftermarket design. There is a debate over how a reference design will take the hot air and push it out the back of the chassis, while aftermarket coolers merely blow the heat in any direction inside the chassis. Frankly, it doesn't make difference to me. The thicker design of the heatsink and additional airflow of an aftermarket cooler, IMHO, works better. The only reference design card that died on me was an XFX 9800 GX2. I pushed that card to its extremes and it lasted for 6 years. Build quality makes a difference. Some companies are better at it than others.

Phanteks Enthoo Pro Black | Corsair TX750v2 | ASRock Z97 Extreme4 | Core i5 4670K @ 4.4 GHz @ 1.27V | Corsair H105 | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 PC3-12800 | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 | Axiom Signature III 240GB SSD | WDC 1TB Blue | Hitachi 750GB

I use a 'moron filter' on tech forums. If I don't respond to your post, considered yourself filtered out.

Isn't reference card's life spend is shorter than after market ones? Doesn't it run hotter? Also, I'm trying to use this as work station at the same time. Can you pull out a specs for me that has 6 cores with dual gpu?

You're not going to have to worry about a card dying in 3 years unless you get a faulty one or you push it too hard. For a single card system, non-reference is cooler, but when using multiple cards it's better if at least one of the cards is reference because it means less hot air inside of the case. You may have the airflow to make it work, though I'm pretty sure that the 750D is more tuned for custom loops than airflow. I'll see if I can put together some specs in a few hours.

No there isn't any RGB headphones. You can get flashy headphones like this

g430-gaming-headset-images.png

kraken-Neon-1_f14e96ed-2d25-45a6-90ae-96

The sound quality is meh, but if you've never listened to good headphones before it doesn't matter. I remember when I first got my razer carcharias. I thought it sounded amazing. Thats until I got my HD 598, then DT 880 then HE 4 then Q701.

Now razer headphones sound like dog poop.

As for your PC, your PSU is too much but thats about it. You can change your parts a little cause atm its a little ugly  but I guess thats subjective. I recommend the 760t, its a hell of a looker.

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

might want to downsize that PSU, as power draw efficiency is garbage below 20% load. 40-60% PSU load is the sweet spot.

efficiency.jpg e.jpg

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I don't know if the issue has been resolved or not but didn't the 840 ssd line from samsung have problems with old files making them load very slowly? I remember seeing it around that 4 month old files were very slow to load and the only way to fix the issue was to "refresh" the data by defragging the ssd, which is a bad idea.

Oh and why dual 1TB HDDsm unless you want to go raid, i'd use a 2tb one.

I don't know if the issue has been resolved or not but didn't the 840 ssd line from samsung have problems with old files making them load very slowly? I remember seeing it around that 4 month old files were very slow to load and the only way to fix the issue was to "refresh" the data by defragging the ssd, which is a bad idea.

Oh and why dual 1TB HDDsm unless you want to go raid, i'd use a 2tb one.

the drives do come with Samsung magician, which can make a ram cache to speed up frequently accessed files... but yeah read speeds degrade over time for 840 Evo for stale files, and Samsung is apparently release a firmware update to fix this but I have yet to see it available.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

It is a bit harder to mount the radiator if it is a bit thicker. The radiator thickness is 35mm, so you have to make sure that the chassis has adequate space to fit it. Simply putting "120mm radiator support" on the advertising material isn't enough. Come to think of it, I don't think the 750D will fit the H105, but don't quote me on it. I chose the Enthoo Pro over most Corsair cases due to that issue, as a cost/performance choice as well.

I've had several video cards based on both reference design and aftermarket design. There is a debate over how a reference design will take the hot air and push it out the back of the chassis, while aftermarket coolers merely blow the heat in any direction inside the chassis. Frankly, it doesn't make difference to me. The thicker design of the heatsink and additional airflow of an aftermarket cooler, IMHO, works better. The only reference design card that died on me was an XFX 9800 GX2. I pushed that card to its extremes and it lasted for 6 years. Build quality makes a difference. Some companies are better at it than others.

The H105 will fit in the 750D  :)

@Not a Black,

If the plan is to add additional gpu then I would suggest going with the i7-5930K instead of the i7-5820K. The later has 28 PCIe lanes which only allows for x8 operation of a second gpu.

A 750W psu is enough for a 2 gpu system with heavy overclocking. You might even consider something smaller.

With two identical 1TB hdd I presume some sort of RAID array is contemplated. In that case WD Red drives would be more appropriate. They are designed for that sort of use.

Fans are something that can always be added when and if they are needed. It seems pointless to me to spend the equivalent of a decent case on aftermarket fans for a build that will not be putting out much heat.

The better performance of an 850 Pro ssd will not be noticeable in a general use and gaming rig. Something like an MX100 or 840 EVO would do just as well, further reducing the cost.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($564.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Cooling MX4 4g Thermal Paste  ($6.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($395.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.97 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($629.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case  ($129.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2618.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-26 12:35 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.