Sometimes my computer recognizes my R9 280 as a HD7900

Hi guys!

I just built my first rig, and installed a Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 on a Gigabyte Z97 MX-Gaming 5 motherboard. Running Windows 8.1, on a slightly overclocked Pentium G3258 (4.0ghz) and an overkill power supply. Intel SSD HD.

Sometimes when my computer starts up, it will not recognize my R9 280, and instead calls it a HD7900. Other times, it will recognize it just fine. Anyone have any idea what might be causing this problem? All drivers are up to date, and i just upgraded my motherboard BIOS. There are never ANY heat problems!

Also, I am having slight issues steadily overclocking my processor. RIght now it never peaks 65C, but Windows will still not always boot correctly. It is a paid for and registered Windows 8.1 Professional, but I had to download the .ISO-file from piratebay, as I only own a mac and had to create a bootable USB-drive to install it. I don`t know if this is relevant, but i`ll just throw it out there.

Thanks guys!

Edit: It shows the wrong graphics card in both HWmonitor AND GPU-Z.

Edit 2: Added a screenshot. It is weird, as it shows all the specs right, it just gets the model (and the number of fans) wrong.

Screenshot of GPU-Z: http://imgur.com/hoTsn1H

Sounds like a driver issue

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

I don't see how this is a problem, as long as the card runs. As to the stability issue, does it happen when you run your CPU at stock clock?

It shows up as HD 7900 because it used the same ship as the HD 7950.

This happens to me too, but I have a  7950 and it shows up as a R9 280.

The problems you are having with windows are probably because of the way you got it.

I don't see how this is a problem, as long as the card runs. As to the stability issue, does it happen when you run your CPU at stock clock?

I guess it is not a problem apart from the fact that I do not get accurate readings of all the fans for instance, and all games automatically sets the settings to low quality.

Yes, it still happens when I run it at stock clock, though not as frequently. It wont even boot into bios sometimes, just gives me a black stare.

It shows up as HD 7900 because it used the same ship as the HD 7950.

This happens to me too, but I have a  7950 and it shows up as a R9 280.

The problems you are having with windows are probably because of the way you got it.

And it is not a problem except for the displayment of wrong information?

They are essentially the same card.

In fact, you can crossfire them.

The only difference is the name and the clock speed and bios and stuff like that.

Nope. 280 and 7950 are the same card, so actually, it's correct information.

Welcome to Linus Tech Tips btw :)

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

AMD use the same GPU chip like HD 7950 for R9 280 and HD  7970 for R9 280X. They just rebrand the cards and cut prices, nothing more. Is no problem, the driver miss judge the real chip factor name :)

CPU : Intel i7 2600K OC@ 4.5 GHz ;

MOBASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 ;

RAM Corsair 8 GB DDR3 1866 MHz ;

GPU EVGA GTX 680 2Gb (GTX 770 Bios modded and instaled with voltage and fan speed unlock) OC@ 1228 MHz on GPU and 7012 MHz on Memory ;

I guess it is not a problem apart from the fact that I do not get accurate readings of all the fans for instance, and all games automatically sets the settings to low quality.

Yes, it still happens when I run it at stock clock, though not as frequently. It wont even boot into bios sometimes, just gives me a black stare.

Check if theres a BIOS update available for your GPU

"Rawr XD"

Nope. 280 and 7950 are the same card, so actually, it's correct information.

Welcome to Linus Tech Tips btw :)

Okay, thanks :)

AMD use the same GPU chip like HD 7950 for R9 280 and HD  7970 for R9 280X. They just rebrand the cards and cut prices, nothing more. Is no problem, the driver miss judge the real chip factor name :)

Oh, okay!

Check if theres a BIOS update available for your GPU

Yeah I did, there isnt, but it seems to just be a problem with the system reading the chip wrong.

Ma bucur ca ai inteles (translate: i`am glad you got it) :)

CPU : Intel i7 2600K OC@ 4.5 GHz ;

MOBASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 ;

RAM Corsair 8 GB DDR3 1866 MHz ;

GPU EVGA GTX 680 2Gb (GTX 770 Bios modded and instaled with voltage and fan speed unlock) OC@ 1228 MHz on GPU and 7012 MHz on Memory ;