custom pc processor help

Go to solution Solved by Trik'Stari,

I don't plan on overclocking though

Overclocking can give you somewhat better performance, not spectacular, and not that you will likely notice it on the current crop of games, especially on a 4790lk. However, games in the future are supposedly going to become more capable of taking advantage of a better cpu. The one I can think of is star citizen.

I'm looking into parts for my upcoming build, I need to know if I need the 4790k or the 4790, will the k model affect gaming oerformance?

Yes, when overclocked. If your doing pure gaming get a 4690k

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Yes, when overclocked. If your doing pure gaming get a 4690k

Overclocking can give you somewhat better performance, not spectacular, and not that you will likely notice it on the current crop of games, especially on a 4790lk. However, games in the future are supposedly going to become more capable of taking advantage of a better cpu. The one I can think of is star citizen.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

You could save some big money if you are just gaming by going with the 4670.

K series CPU's are the unlocked and overclockable chips. No use getting one if it will be left at stock speeds IMO.

Overclocking can give you somewhat better performance, not spectacular, and not that you will likely notice it on the current crop of games,

especially on a 4790lk. However, games in the future are supposedly going to become more capable of taking advantage of a better cpu. The one I can think of is star

citizen.

Will that be far in the future or pretty soon?

Will that be far in the future or pretty soon?

Well, supposedly (according to the developer) star citizen will make use of hyper threading, which is what the 4790k has over the 4690k (as well as high stock clock speed). I know watch dogs supposedly does it as well, but that game has a whole host of other issues. I do know that battlefield 4 is fairly CPU intensive as well. It's mainly dependent on the type of game you play. First person shooters, space flight sims, and the like, are going to require more cpu processing power than say, a racing game like need for speed or something. At least that would make sense to me.

If you want the best consumer grade cpu, go with the 4790k, I'm not sure what the price difference is between the 4790k and 4790 (non K), but if it's like 30 bucks, I'd say it's worth it. It's not any hard to set up, if you don't want to bother with overclocking all you do is install it and go into the bios and set it at optimized defaults. It's just capable of being fiddled with and changed, whereas the non K is not.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'm looking into parts for my upcoming build, I need to know if I need the 4790k or the 4790, will the k model affect gaming oerformance?

in that case i'd suggest something like this, plenty of power for gaming and no overclocking, good price as well:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($68.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $258.97

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-25 21:06 EDT-0400

Do you plan on using dual graphics cards in the Future?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR