Indonesian Internet Under the Threat of a forced Blackout.

LinoLear

Kompas Tekno

Summary of the story here is as follow :

One of the leading ISP in Indonesia's CEO have been imprisoned on charge of corruption on which based upon his company (which is a subsidiary -PT. IndosatM2 (Indosat Mega Media)) renting their parent company (PT. Indosat) infrastructure and network of GSM/UMTS then put their own brand on top of it. Which Indonesian Kemenkominfo (kinda like FCC) says illegal, but because of the law of this practice (renting their parent company infrastructure and network of GSM/UMTS then put their own brand on top of it) is still unclear until now, they charge the CEO with corruption.

The CEO tried to appeal the decision at Indonesian Mahkamah Agung (Kinda like US Supreme Court), Which not only got rejected, he even got his jail sentence from 4 years extended to 8 years and fined with amount around 1.3 Trillion Rupiah (i think around USD 110 Million).

post-102713-0-28779300-1411631368.jpg

post-102713-0-06253600-1411631378.jpg

Now with the decision of the Mahkamah Agung is final, all hope seem lost, and because of that all the other ISP which is not owned by State (Government Owned Company similar to China) are feeling frustrated and confused on how to proceed with their business as the law of the practice still unclear (There is still no regulation about this practice as of now) and almost all of them are using these practice - their CEO are saying in the following week or two they rather have their service turned off than getting sentenced to jail.

Indonesian news like this haven't been much reported by other Countries, that's is why i feel the need to share this. This is a common occurrence in Indonesia, in which the Lawmaker doesn't have a single clue about the product they want to regularize.And i think it shouldn't be Illegal either, It's their parent company's license for f sake.

PS : English is my second language so please feel free to post correction on my grammar so i can fix it. And also i want to hear what you guys think about this.

Edit: Putting more clear explanation on what the practice is about.

RIP in ded :/ Seems like you may need to download a lot before this happens...

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

I don't get it. Why is it corrupt to use their own company for their needs?

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I don't get it. Why is it corrupt to use their own company for their needs?

Because no clear law yet, they use corruption charges. Indonesian law is not the same as US, there is no jury on trial, only judges. So hell if they think your company benefit illegally they can slap you with any charges they want. That is why he appealed to the Supreme Court so that the higher entity could ruled different.

how the hell did  they think renting a government given license was legal lol

its common sense

its like ill lend my driving license to my brother

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

how the hell did they think renting a government given license was legal lol

its common sense

Ohhh, that's what's going on. Company that's using the license is owned by company that the license is granted so I can understand the confusion.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

how the hell did  they think renting a government given license was legal lol

its common sense

Its my fault not explaining further about that, i said renting/using license just to make it simple. The truth is like for example i pay AT&T to use all of their system but i just put my own brand on top of it.

Law in asia has never helped anyone and all of the asian governments are corrupt anyways.

I agree completely... I'm wanting to move away since there is very little opportunity here to earn more than sustenence...

As for Indonesia (especially students and professionals), you can always try to look for opportunities to get out of there... ASEAN is planning to make it easier for professionals, students, and skilled workers to work/study in other countries within ASEAN nations...

Law in asia has never helped anyone and all of the asian governments are corrupt anyways.

u can't generalize it

japan south Korea ,Taiwan ,Singapore and Hong Kong are great examples of good governments

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Its my fault not explaining further about that, i said renting/using license just to make it simple. The truth is like for example i pay AT&T to use all of their system but i just put my own brand on top of it.

oh ok

that makes sense i dont seen any issues with this

u can't generalize it

japan south Korea ,Taiwan ,Singapore and Hong Kong are great examples of good governments

South Korea is not a good example of good government, a simple search about "south korea president corrupt" could tell you, most of the time once their President step down, soon after their corruption scandal revealed.

South Korea is not a good example of good government, a simple search about "south korea president corrupt" could tell you, most of the time once their President step down, soon after their corruption scandal revealed.

there are always scandles

but major corruption in the government isnt apparent in south korea

the level of corruption in South korea is rated as low as 3% 

its the sixth lowest in the world

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Corruption_Barometer

If the services they're reselling are making the parent company money, and him money, I don't see the big deal. If he's selling out the government paid for infrastructure and the parent company is getting hosed, then sure.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers